Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 06:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times

Advertisements

Good point. But I would not object to believers questioning us about it or even arguing about whether our reasons were good ones - not least because they so often have stock accusations of why we went atheist which are just about never the actual reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 07:30 AM

16,806 posts, read 5,003,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Lazy. Every source will have its errors and biases that is why personal vetting using a knowledge of the scientific method is essential, not dismissal using genetic fallacy. Probabilities are NOT appropriate for all situations. You have exhibited no such knowledge or research or any indication that you have any familiarity with the various sciences involved. Your so-called knowledge of the brain is pseudo-knowledge under the pretense that a computer can in ANY WAY mimic the processes that a brain ACTUALLY engages in. Mimicking outcomes in no way instantiate the algorithms as evidence of what the brain is doing. Your pretense to knowledge using euphemistic jargon that explains nothing reveals the paucity of your knowledge and the shallowness of your perspective.
This is just one of the many reasons I became (and remain) an atheist, the fact that sites like About | Inspiring Philosophy need to be dishonest and use using euphemistic jargon.

And when people try and defend this rubbish using nothing but straw men and ad hominems, it just demonstrates I am correct in my methodology.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:28 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,288,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Maybe because no one challenged is well worded assertions.

Oh no, he got challenged a lot . His arguments were the same, but I dont remember him being such an arrogant ass .

Old 08-10-2018, 10:15 PM

63,873 posts, read 40,149,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Good point. But I would not object to believers questioning us about it or even arguing about whether our reasons were good ones - not least because they so often have stock accusations of why we went atheist which are just about never the actual reasons.
I can explain why I post in this thread. The moment I became an atheist was literally the first time I could understand and was exposed to religious nonsense. It never made any sense to me during the first 30+ years of my life. This is why I can understand the atheist mindset so thoroughly and why I just seek to provide a window into the reality I discovered without ever expecting to. If I am not welcome here, I will withdraw.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 PM

50,892 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
I can explain why I post in this thread. The moment I became an atheist was literally the first time I could understand and was exposed to religious nonsense. It never made any sense to me during the first 30+ years of my life. This is why I can understand the atheist mindset so thoroughly and why I just seek to provide a window into the reality I discovered without ever expecting to. If I am not welcome here, I will withdraw.
It is not a question of you being welcome here. Everyone is welcome to post here.

That does not mean that anyone will necessarily buy into your patter.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
It isn't that you are not welcome, but your posts could put things plainer. Not everyone had Capo's analytical genius for following your train of thought. And we could do with less of the 'you are uneducated; you don't understand this' chat.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:36 PM

129 posts, read 101,983 times
I never believed since day 1. I have a very high IQ and was a logical thinker and reader at a very early age. God is one of several theories about the existence of the Universe, but cannot be proven and has to be taken by faith. I never found enough real facts to even read the faith level. No one can prove God exists or does not exists and it is incumbent on the person making the assertion to provide the proof.

Plus I could never kneel to a God who allows suffering or needs to keep people in pain for some reason we have no knowledge of. We pray to God and give him credit for interfering in our lives and yet when it comes to all the bad stuff in the world we say that God does not interfere in human affairs, free will and all that. You cannot have it both ways, can you?

For me if a book proportion to be true and factual has wrong information in it like the age of the earth for instance just to name one of many, all else is suspect. So as a gifted child religion never made sense to me and the funny thing is that as an Atheist I am living a much better life than the religious people I know. Maybe God loves free thinker rather than those who kneel out of fear of retribution? All I can say about God is that I do not know and are not willing to accept him on faith alone.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:53 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
Quote:
Quite simply "This sub-forum is not the place for proselytizing or attempting to convert atheists or agnostics. It is meant for atheists and agnostics interested in discussions among themselves and for others who want to learn more about this worldview and are interested in posing non-confrontational questions to atheists or agnostics"

As well as proselytizing, which you'll probably deny, continuously insinuating and often outright calling those who don't swallow your....uh....viewpoint ignorant, unintelligent and close minded is rather confrontational, wouldn't you say?

Old 08-11-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyfl View Post
I never believed since day 1. I have a very high IQ and was a logical thinker and reader at a very early age. God is one of several theories about the existence of the Universe, but cannot be proven and has to be taken by faith. I never found enough real facts to even read the faith level. No one can prove God exists or does not exists and it is incumbent on the person making the assertion to provide the proof.

Plus I could never kneel to a God who allows suffering or needs to keep people in pain for some reason we have no knowledge of. We pray to God and give him credit for interfering in our lives and yet when it comes to all the bad stuff in the world we say that God does not interfere in human affairs, free will and all that. You cannot have it both ways, can you?

For me if a book proportion to be true and factual has wrong information in it like the age of the earth for instance just to name one of many, all else is suspect. So as a gifted child religion never made sense to me and the funny thing is that as an Atheist I am living a much better life than the religious people I know. Maybe God loves free thinker rather than those who kneel out of fear of retribution? All I can say about God is that I do not know and are not willing to accept him on faith alone.
And that could be used in a site FAQ 'valid reasons for atheism'.

I can already hear the stock responses 'But you can't know that God doesn't exist'..'the Bible is as reliable as many other books that we take on trust'...'look how Christianity (read 'God belief of one particular kind) benefits the individual and society...why civilisation would collapse without it'...'what if you're wrong?'.

All utterly invalid arguments.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:12 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,167,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Quite simply "This sub-forum is not the place for proselytizing or attempting to convert atheists or agnostics. It is meant for atheists and agnostics interested in discussions among themselves and for others who want to learn more about this worldview and are interested in posing non-confrontational questions to atheists or agnostics"

As well as proselytizing, which you'll probably deny, continuously insinuating and often outright calling those who don't swallow your....uh....viewpoint ignorant, unintelligent and close minded is rather confrontational, wouldn't you say?

It is not hard to extrapolate that, from the threads Mystic choses, his intent to proselytize. He is definitely looking for followers. He does not restrict his attempts to only atheist of agnostics; he is all over the religious forum. It is obviously some form of compulsion. Personally a religious forums are not a place I want to hang around; other than looking at current trends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism