Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 07:19 PM

6,321 posts, read 4,352,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
You have won the lottery.

Now, don't blow it!
Meh.

Most of the time, I feel as if my birth into this hellish place means I lost the lottery along with the other 7 billion people I'm stuck here with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 08:33 PM

4,748 posts, read 2,370,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Meh.

Most of the time, I feel as if my birth into this hellish place means I lost the lottery along with the other 7 billion people I'm stuck here with.
Would you be better off as a rock? Or an amoeba?

Old 09-26-2018, 09:13 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,294,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Meh.

You bring to mind a line from "Man of LaMancha." Aldonza asks and answers: "You know what the worst crime of all is? Being born. For that you get punished your whole life."

Old 09-27-2018, 06:12 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,503,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You bring to mind a line from "Man of LaMancha." Aldonza asks and answers: "You know what the worst crime of all is? Being born. For that you get punished your whole life."
I once read a quote that went something like this:
"Life is a sort of death sentence with an indefinite reprieve."

Old 09-27-2018, 06:28 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,294,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I once read a quote that went something like this:
"Life is a sort of death sentence with an indefinite reprieve."
Or there is always Woody Allen's observation in "Annie Hall":
Quote:
I feel that life is divided up into the horrible and the miserable. Those are the two categories, you know. The horrible would be like, um, I don't know, terminal cases, you know, and blind people, cripples. I don't know how they get through life. It's amazing to me. And, you know, the miserable is everyone else. So when you go through life, you should be thankful that you're miserable, because you're very lucky to be miserable.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:35 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,805,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
If so, what books would you recommend? I'm an agnostic and have been for most of my life, but I want to educate myself on the great works of philosophy...but I have no idea where to start at?

As others have stated, I don't feel like there is a void, but I do love reading works that make me think.

First off, I highly recommend "Doubt: A History" by Jennifer Michael Hecht to anyone who is thinking about the place of religious doubt, unbelief, skepticism and the like in human history. It was a revelation,a comfort, and an encouragement to see that it isn't only religion that has deep roots in humanity. Skepticism and religious doubt has an equally long and interesting history and place in the world, and isn't some new fad, or some individual reaction. The act of questioning, or doubting, of looking to reason for answers is its own long, varied, and beautiful tradition.

I also like the works of Robert Ingersoll, "The Great Agnostc". It was mind blowing to me to find out that America has a long tradition of enthusiastic freethinkers, skeptics, atheists, and agnostics. Our history as a nation is not all about God, guns, and capitalism, as is so often portrayed. Ingersoll was a celebrity who drew huge crowds for his orations on reason, against the evils of religion, and on the virtues and utility of the agnostic point of view. What he wrote and said still rings very true today.

-NoCapo

Old 09-29-2018, 07:29 PM

12,206 posts, read 8,613,469 times
All of this. And we do it all with meat.

https://youtu.be/7tScAyNaRdQ

Old 10-04-2018, 11:06 AM

334 posts, read 229,906 times
No void here

Old 10-06-2018, 01:38 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,205,056 times
Only void was a big chunk of free time on Sunday morning, which was filled rapidly with skiing, riding motorcycles, sleeping in, boating and waterskiing, foolin' around and generally a more satisfying use of the day.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:09 AM

7,689 posts, read 4,225,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Only void was a big chunk of free time on Sunday morning, which was filled rapidly with skiing, riding motorcycles, sleeping in, boating and waterskiing, foolin' around and generally a more satisfying use of the day.
^ This. I was thinking the more voids, the better.

But if void means an absence of connecting to other people, I do that with my family, friends, coworkers, the internet (city-data, video games) and neighbors in that order.

If void means an absence of connecting to oneself, I do that through reading and writing. For fictional books, what I am looking for are the author's values through the characters. I cannot enjoy a book where the author's values are different from mine. For nonfiction, I look for books that can give a clearer explanation of what I know right now. Many times, if not most of the time, author's help change my thinking.

So filling the void does not mean pour books into it. It means having a purpose for doing what I am doing and then having a method.

Last edited by elyn02; 10-07-2018 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism