Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 07:29 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,798,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Says the man who repeatedly and consistently refuses to parse my views into the science-based ones and the belief-based ones because he wants only to lump them together and argue about the faith-based ones!
Your concept of science is not science at all. It's just a collection of technobabble used to justify irrational beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 12:25 AM

64,148 posts, read 40,492,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
What is the use of opening and opening yet more ones mind when you have for years failed to offer anything to put in it other than your pet own interpretations of personal experience?

For years on this forum all I have seen you talk about is some experience you had while at meditation - possibly a dream you had while dozing off while meditating for all we know and perhaps even for all _you_ know as it happens - which you claim somehow turned you from atheist to theist and somehow validates your idea a god exists.

Yet not only have I had _all_ the same experiences you ever have described having - and I have had them many more times than you have claimed having had them too - but I have also had many experiences through mediating you have _not_ claimed having had either. So I think I am in a nice position to parse the descriptions you make - and the nonsense you append to those descriptions too.

And _none_ of those experiences have seemed like evidence for a god to me0. But _many_ of them I can see how someone who wants to pretend there is a god can do so. I can certainly understand your subjective response to them - but I can also fully and deeply understand how and why they simply are in _no way_ evidence for what you want to pretend they are.

Other than that you have offered nothing on this forum I have ever seen that fits the paradigm you are demanding of other users such as taking your views to "parse into the science-based ones and the belief-based ones". Because I simply have not seen any science based ones from you at all. What I _have_ seen is you espousing Deepak Chopora level descriptions of the world - to which you append sciencey sounding terminology. But using sciencey words to describe something does not make it science any more than me using food based words to describe something magically makes it cooking.

Nor am I sure why you have chosen to hijack this thread to hound a user on the subject. The OP has asked a perfectly valid question and rather than answer it at all - you saw the chance to sound off and play a record. Which is highly unfair to the OP.
Moderator cut: Personal attack removed. IF you ever had an experience in meditation that was remotely like mine, you could never dispute the existence of a consciousness NOT your own. IF you had encountered a consciousness NOT your own, you could never pretend you disbelieve me.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-28-2018 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Don't call people stalkers.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:26 AM

51,470 posts, read 24,844,572 times
Quote:
It is so depressing to see a stalker return to the forum to harass me again. IF you ever had an experience in meditation that was remotely like mine, you could never dispute the existence of a consciousness NOT your own. IF you had encountered a consciousness NOT your own, you could never pretend you disbelieve me.
Maybe he/we had a different vision.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:39 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,955,943 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Quoted post edited. IF you ever had an experience in meditation that was remotely like mine, you could never dispute the existence of a consciousness NOT your own. IF you had encountered a consciousness NOT your own, you could never pretend you disbelieve me.

Aside from the suggestion that you had a 'dream' ( I rather think that you simply Interpreted the experience in terms of a culturally spoonfed scenario), Monumentus' post was evidently correct, unless you claim that the thousands who do meditation out East (or flying from where you are, West) are none of them doing it Right.
They get the same feeling that you did, but didn't gloop Christianity onto it.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-28-2018 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Quoted post edited.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Your concept of science is not science at all. It's just a collection of technobabble used to justify irrational beliefs.
The number of people in this forum with little to no knowledge of science that accuses me of this is alarming. I weep for our education system and the future.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Aside from the suggestion that you had a 'dream' ( I rather think that you simply Interpreted the experience in terms of a culturally spoonfed scenario), Monumentus' post was evidently correct, unless you claim that the thousands who do meditation out East (or flying from where you are, West) are none of them doing it Right.
They get the same feeling that you did, but didn't gloop Christianity onto it.
They have no rationale for "glooping" Christianity onto it, Arq. My Synthesis is entirely unique.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:25 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,444,820 times
Quote:
IF you ever had an experience in meditation that was remotely like mine, you could never dispute the existence of a consciousness NOT your own. IF you had encountered a consciousness NOT your own, you could never pretend you disbelieve me.
As usual I will respond to the bits that are not petty personal attacks.

Exactly - you make my point for me here. Your second sentence shows exactly what is wrong with your first. Because it is the second "IF" that you have never once supported anywhere. You have not shown you have experienced a consciousness not your own. You have described experiences I myself have had quite often. And none of them offer a single reason to think the thing being experiences is a consciousness not my own.

Rather that is an assumption you throw out to explain something you personally do not understand. And on the subject of this thread I can imagine how that fantasy would offer a veneer of safety to "fill the void" some people feel in this life. Because the void for many is a lonliness than runs deep - and the idea there is an accessible external consciousness present is a fantasy that can indeed fill that void.

So indeed I have had those experiences - I just do not make the unwarranted "IF" leap that you make without any basis whatsoever in sentence two. To quote _you_ directly on this matter in fact "You want to pretend that anything YOU consider true is somehow as valid as something that is a verified fact which is preposterous."

Quote:
The number of people in this forum with little to no knowledge of science that accuses me of this is alarming. I weep for our education system and the future.
Interestingly however when asked to actually present the science or workings on the subject you just make a personal comment about them like this. In the real world of science we establish a knowledge of science by openly using it and demonstrating through it's use and application of it - what level of science we have.

What we rarely do - and the science community is even known to ostracize those who do it - is claim a level of science knowledge purely and solely by denigration of the knowledge of others.

If you wish to claim a level of knowledge of science - then do so by actively demonstrating it rather than asserting it. You were asked for example to use physics - which you claim knowledge of - to support your claim there are consciousness other than those we know of on this planet. Either elsewhere in the universe or somehow external to it.

Predictably - you refused to do this and ignored the question entirely.

Last edited by monumentus; 10-27-2018 at 01:37 AM..

Old 10-27-2018, 03:48 AM

16,902 posts, read 5,092,606 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Quoted post edited. IF you ever had an experience in meditation that was remotely like mine, you could never dispute the existence of a consciousness NOT your own. IF you had encountered a consciousness NOT your own, you could never pretend you disbelieve me.
Your hatred of the fact you are a victim of your own cognitive bias can not be good for your health.

Quote:
You post here, remember?

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-28-2018 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Quoted post edited

Old 10-27-2018, 08:46 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,955,943 times
Quote:
I don't, because people who invert science, evidence and logic to suit their Personal Beliefs are on their way out. Or so I fervently hope. And i have got to say (yet again, as you never Seem to remember anything that your 'science' has been debunked by people who knew science, never mind people like me who are not scientists but could see how your were doing it Wrong. And I mat tell you that I have had a few discussion on DM with proper scientists about you and (I've told you this before - but you Never remember Anything ) the word "Fraud" was mentioned.

Your synthesis is original as I say, but again you are crafty, evasive and dishonest in referring to that when the argument is about the experience you had (Mystical experience) which is NOT Unique - far from it and is as beep a meditation in a Burmese Yeiktha as anything you had. But they did not 'gloop' Christianity over it, because they had been spoofed Buddhism not Christianity. So you are not only wrong, you show that you know you are, by being evasive.

On the forum, we are a little more polite (not much) by reference to Chophra. Which you indignantly deny, as you indignantly deny Creationism, but again and again posters come to the same conclusions. You talk pseudo-science like Chophra and you ise Creationists arguments, though you are (I accept) a Theist -evolutionist, not a Creationist. You see how fair i am to you? No, don't thank me..I'll accept a Rep though .

Quote:
They have no rationale for "glooping" Christianity onto it, Arq. My Synthesis is entirely unique.
I've never denied that. I've always said that it was very original and was the ONLY attempt I can recall to provide a meachanism for the God -claim (but of course, you never remember anything). It's why I spent so much time trying to understand it - including the bits you weren't too forthcoming about, discussing it (under a torrent of deprecating abuse - which you are still endlessly dishing out), the long discussions with Gaylenwoof of Qualia which you Used to 'prove' your Beliefs and Gaylen ended up by not supporting, which is why you ...what's the right word......hypocritically and dishonestly alternated between wagging a post of his around as proving your beliefs (which they did not - indeed, I asked him whether it didn't tick him off you misusing his posts like that) when not telling him that he knew his stuff (which he does) but you lamented (weeping your crocodile tears) that his expertise was all wasted education because he did not support your cockamamie hypothesis.

Since I am now pretty sure I have sussed your Beliefs, your arguments and you methods, and understand that there is no substance behind them other than faith in your own rightness, I no longer need to ask you anything and can say exactly what i think, which is exactly what all other posters (other than your disciples Goldie and Arach and you are welcome to them) who have considered your very original and intriguing Cosmic mind and it's educational program for humanity hypothesis have come to, and I don't even need to wag their posts about claiming that they agree with me. It's obvious that they do.

I think that's worth another Rep. critiquing you so reasonably But since you can't do it twice, perhaps you could ask the Arachnid, since the two of you seem to be getting on so well.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-27-2018 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism