Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 07:48 PM

88,867 posts, read 85,274,311 times

Advertisements

There IS a Philosophy forum on City-Data, ya know...

Old 09-25-2018, 07:54 PM

6,829 posts, read 3,238,793 times
I met my wife a few years after being disfellowshipped. Her family is fairly religious, but also very accepting of non religious people. Case in point, she is a dyed in the wool atheist, but her family loves her, and me, without regard to our religious status. My family, on the other hand, completely abandoned me. I've seen them once or twice in 46 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 08:11 PM

10,550 posts, read 6,196,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
If so, what books would you recommend? I'm an agnostic and have been for most of my life, but I want to educate myself on the great works of philosophy...but I have no idea where to start at?

Not believing in god does not create a void, it just allows you the time to pursue things that you wouldn't have otherwise been able to fit into your life. It's not like I sit twiddling my thumbs wondering how I'm going to fill in the Sunday mornings that theists spend in church.
Same with 'philosophy'. My 'philosophy' is generally science based.

I recommend the podcast 'The infinite monkey cage'. It sets out to answer some of the great questions of life. It's science based but with a humorous look at these topics.

Deals with topics such as: A recipe to build a universe, the mind versus the brain, climate change; that sort of thing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00...episodes/guide

Last edited by Cruithne; 09-25-2018 at 09:22 PM..

Old 09-25-2018, 10:17 PM

5,590 posts, read 3,988,199 times
Big philosophy fan here. I actually just started on this book, written by a psychiatrist from the city you claim as your location (and lest the 'psychiatrist' part fool you, I'd classify the book as 'a work of philosophy'):

https://www.amazon.com/Finding-Purpo...ds=ralph+lewis

My favorite philosopher is Camus. I highly recommend 'The Myth of Sisyphus and other essays'. Talks about, well, various ways of approaching life in a world devoid of intrinsic meaning. Camus was f*cking awesome, IMO. Have attempted to read others who are classified as existentialists, but their writing, with the exception of some short passages from Sartre, doesn't do much for me. I found Heidegger impenetrable, although his 'Being And Time' is considered a magnum opus. Maybe someday I'll revisit it....

Old 09-26-2018, 01:07 AM

50,090 posts, read 20,846,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There IS a Philosophy forum on City-Data, ya know...
Yes. Rand S used to be religion and Philosophy until the Philosophy content became top -heavy. But Mystic's own personal thread has become really a mini Religion and Philisophy forum. it has a resident Masters' degree in Philosophy to talk to.

Last page here

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ative-416.html

Old 09-26-2018, 02:28 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,086,588 times
Quote:
Maybe you do but you don't notice it.

*shrugs*
Are you speaking from experience? Are there some voids left in you that you don't know about? Because if you don't notice the void, it can't really be a void. I am not sure if you were trying to be funny with paradox.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:49 AM

16,833 posts, read 5,043,698 times
Knowledge void - I read science and history.

The void of a Christian childhood - I can always go to a church, or read a passage from the NT. I rarely need to.

The void of having nothing to do - I do something. From astronomy to punching a hanging punch bag to taking Mr Yap for a walk.

My Greek background means I am familiar with ancient Greek philosophy, but I prefer to use logic and maths.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:37 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,360,365 times
Quote:
Maybe you do but you don't notice it.

*shrugs*
First of all, philosophy is just absorbing the thoughts and conclusions of other people. I have my own thoughts, and I have reached my own conclusions. Shaped and moulded by the thoughts and conclusions of others to be sure. But my own thoughts and conclusions sustain me. I am 70 years old. Most of my life is behind me now. Yet I feel no "void." I have been far too fortunate to feel any emptiness or regret.

If you feel you need some stimulus to help bridge an emptiness caused by feeling that you have a very small and meaningless existence in a VERY immense universe, I offer you this to help sustain you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

Pay very close attention to the part where he says: "So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure, How amazingly unlikely is your birth."

Because you are the universe contemplating itself. You are made up of trillions of inanimate bits that can neither see or feel or think. You could be a rock, or a gas cloud. But instead you are something which seems to be very special in the universe, because we haven't, as yet, discovered it anywhere else. You are life. But even that is not good enough. Not for you. You are the sort of life that can not only see and feel, touch and hear, the world around you... you have the ability to think and to deeply contemplate your experiences. And attempt to make sense of it all. You have won the lottery.

Now, don't blow it!

Old 09-26-2018, 10:00 AM

50,090 posts, read 20,846,741 times
Yes, life is a lottery win. Top prize for every modern human give or take the nuclear threat and a few nasty wars.

And the religious want us to throw it it in the bin in the vain hope that the act of negation will get then an even bigger win after they die.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:17 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,337,320 times
The only void I know about is the one in the constellation of Bootes where there is some 22 million light years of space and hardly a single galaxy can be found within it ... just a few little dwarf galaxies.

Well, I guess you could count what lies between the ears of certain people. There's more void there than in Bootes, me thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism