Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:21 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,081,806 times

Advertisements

If so, what books would you recommend? I'm an agnostic and have been for most of my life, but I want to educate myself on the great works of philosophy...but I have no idea where to start at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 02:58 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,258,540 times

Old 09-25-2018, 03:09 PM

7,272 posts, read 7,151,014 times
What void?

I have no void.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:41 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,081,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
What void?

I have no void.
Maybe you do but you don't notice it.

*shrugs*

Old 09-25-2018, 03:55 PM

1,402 posts, read 481,813 times
Quote:
What void?

I have no void.
I guess this was also my first response.... what void?

I don't want to read too much into the OP's question, since "you is one" (agnostic or atheist)! But the unstated implication is that agnostics and atheists have an inherent void to be filled which, by extension, others do not. If so, I haven't seen anything to suggest that believers have their philosophical voids filled.

None of this to suggest that there aren't good books to be read, by all groups! I just don't follow the logic implicit in the question?

*shrugs*

Old 09-25-2018, 04:14 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,072,744 times
No voids here.

"Void" implies something's missing and needing to be filled, at least in the context of the question.

If you want to study philosphy (or mathematics or geology or a second language or grammar or whatever) because you think it'll be interesting, then go for it. :-

Old 09-25-2018, 04:41 PM

50,139 posts, read 20,905,475 times
This is a very personal view, but you asked. The void is a way of thinking that needs filling. With a mindset that is about getting at the best models of reality and not about being Right, because trying to be Right no matter what the evidence says is cheating yourself and everybody else.

For the atheist, i found that 'The intelligent person's (1) guide to atheism' (Daniel Harbour) was mustread. I only prefer to 'Baroque' and 'spartan' thinking (because they need further definition anyway, as nobody knows what that means) Dogmatic and rational thinking. Other than that, 0 complaints.

Philosophy is not needed to understand the world we live in. Science tells us more. But the Logical thought aspect of philosophy is essential. Where the rules of Philosophy are needed is where Philosophers of the Theistic bent try to use the discipline to dress up theistic fallacies -for-God to make them sound convincing. Lane - Craig on Kalam, Plantinga on Ontological arguments. Matt Dillahunty has (unusually) made a study of Philosophy so I know nobody better to unpack philosophical apologetics and show the underlying fallacy.

(1) I don't claim to be a great intellect, so if I could read it, anybody can.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-25-2018 at 05:43 PM..

Old 09-25-2018, 04:46 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,404,604 times
Quote:
What void?

I have no void.
Yeah also confused about what void.

I was never religious so I don't have any empty space that it used to occupy.

That said, no void for me and no interest in philosophy writings. I just live my life like everyone else.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:48 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,499,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
If so, what books would you recommend? I'm an agnostic and have been for most of my life, but I want to educate myself on the great works of philosophy...but I have no idea where to start at?
I'm missing the connection between "I don't believe that Thor exists" and "I therefore must read Descartes".

The only 'void' indicated by my atheism is, obviously, an absence of an affirmative belief in any deities. It does not follow that I must therefore read philosophy - though I in fact have done so.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:55 PM

50,139 posts, read 20,905,475 times
I don't think that Zortation was talking about the God -shaped bottle that Theist apologists are always telling us that we have. But a way of making sense of the world rather than blundering around with spammers with something to sell constantly confusing us.

Logically sound reasoning, and validated science. Not investing Faith but giving weight to the best arguments. It's surprising how soon things seem to shake down. And listen and learn and never be ashamed to admit being wrong.

I learn and reconsider all the time. It means I don't have to be clever, or learned. Just honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism