Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:16 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

And they often convert to Christianity in a panic on their deathbed. I have noted several Christian posts categorically assuring us of that.
Didn't Stephen Hawking die in a foxhole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 11:23 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Didn't Stephen Hawking die in a foxhole?
Metaphorically, they buried him in one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNYQSr1pxIs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think I've mentioned this before. My brother died after a long illness back in 2006. He was an atheist, probably since childhood, even though my parents were religious and the protestant church in which we were raised was a regular part of our lives.

But the night before he died, a Catholic priest came to visit the man in the next bed. When the priest had finished with him, he turned to my brother and asked him if he was Catholic. My brother said no, and the priest asked if he was Christian. My brother said yes. Now my mother and sister were present, and my sister, who dumped Christianity 50 years ago, laughed and said, "You are not." But the priest asked my brother if he would like to receive communion, and my brother said yes and the priest gave it to him along with whatever prayers Catholics say over people who are obviously at death's door.

My mother was so happy. Further, my brother's daughter, who was not present, IS Catholic, as she was raised in the home of her very Catholic Italian grandmother.

I do not believe for one minute that my brother had a deathbed conversion. He'd known for some time that he was terminal, had made jokes about it the week before, and both my sister and I agree that he seemed to just want it all to be over.

I believe he took the opportunity presented and did it for the comfort of my mother and more importantly, his daughter (she was about 21 at the time of his death), whom he knew would surely hear the story from my mother.
Interesting story. I wonder whether, in the same circumstances, I would say "What's the harm, just to cheer the folks up?" Godddammnit, I have even sung Hymns at weddings and funerals of family just not to rock the boat (hypocrite ) In prof. Hawking's position (if I ever finish this damn ' book, which should earn me either a Nobel prize or a lynching) I might permit them to bury me next to the greats, but i would forbid any of those dress -wearing hemulens to mump a prayer over me. Cheek

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-31-2018 at 11:35 AM..

Old 10-31-2018, 01:48 PM

241 posts, read 95,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Metaphorically, they buried him in one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNYQSr1pxIs

Interesting story. I wonder whether, in the same circumstances, I would say "What's the harm, just to cheer the folks up?" Godddammnit, I have even sung Hymns at weddings and funerals of family just not to rock the boat (hypocrite ) In prof. Hawking's position (if I ever finish this damn ' book, which should earn me either a Nobel prize or a lynching) I might permit them to bury me next to the greats, but i would forbid any of those dress -wearing hemulens to mump a prayer over me. Cheek

i was just wondering why an objectively convinced atheist---which i define as a non-believer---would suddenly become convinced of a potential god or creator. i dont judge atheist, agnostic or secularist, nor do i have a problem with an atheist, agnostic or secularist expressing their constitutional right to pray . i was just wondering how an objective richard dawkins type atheist can succumb to prayer during a financial crisis or a hurricane storm blowing feirce winds. i may not be perfect but i am not opposed to people of different ethnicities, races, religious or non-religious beliefs

Old 10-31-2018, 01:53 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
There is no such thing as American English. There is English and there are mistakes. Let's stop now before Mensa ambushes us.
You are correct. Colour, flavour and neighbour need the U and tire has an I and curb doesn't have either a k or a E.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:34 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
i was just wondering why an objectively convinced atheist---which i define as a non-believer---would suddenly become convinced of a potential god or creator. i dont judge atheist, agnostic or secularist, nor do i have a problem with an atheist, agnostic or secularist expressing their constitutional right to pray . i was just wondering how an objective richard dawkins type atheist can succumb to prayer during a financial crisis or a hurricane storm blowing feirce winds. i may not be perfect but i am not opposed to people of different ethnicities, races, religious or non-religious beliefs
That's why we rather doubt that any such deathbed conversion really happens. Some theists (probably the majority don't - I'm willing to credit that - it's not a blanket accusation of All Christians) make the claim, but whether or not they really believe it, they know they are safe in making the claim because they know it can't be disproved. Even a last hours message "I am NOT going to repent, recant and convert on my deathbed" will be dismissed "In his last moment, he recanted, repented and deconverted". And even those who don't claim that say that the atheist found out he was wrong when he came face to face with God.

Though how they know that the dead Christian didn't find out that he was wrong when he came face to face with Allah is ...well yes it is explicable. It's Faith. faith - not in Giod, but in their own Rightness.

But as to Foxholes. I can't recall any 'I converted under fire' stories. Though I am sure there are some, just as there are of people who lost Faith after they went through war and wondered "How can God allow this?"

Old 10-31-2018, 07:06 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You are correct. Colour, flavour and neighbour need the U and tire has an I and curb doesn't have either a k or a E.
The last one confused me. On what planet does curb ever have a k or an e?

Agree that tire has an I, and I gladly add the u back in when I am in my alternate universe or electronically communicating with someone there.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:51 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
The last one confused me. On what planet does curb ever have a k or an e?

Agree that tire has an I, and I gladly add the u back in when I am in my alternate universe or electronically communicating with someone there.
Kerb, another spelling of curb, wrong though because that is the way it is spelt in Canada ☺

Old 10-31-2018, 07:57 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Kerb, another spelling of curb, wrong though because that is the way it is spelt in Canada ☺
Didn't know that one.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:11 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
No, no, no old sprout. Tyre and kerb is correct.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:12 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Didn't know that one.
It's 'tyre' and 'kerb' my dear old thing as Trans will confirm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism