Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 04:51 AM

7,597 posts, read 4,172,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
well, thats what they told me.

they said "You are not one of us.", whatever that means.

they also told me that that it may be true but has no practical value to them in their everyday lives and stopping religion does so I should not be addressing that line of reasoning.

what would you call it?
I wouldn't call it anything publicly and, in the end, it wouldn't bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 03:10 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,609,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
well, thats what they told me.

they said "You are not one of us.", whatever that means.

they also told me that that it may be true but has no practical value to them in their everyday lives and stopping religion does so I should not be addressing that line of reasoning.

what would you call it?
You defiantly seem like a Aino to me, not that that would matter much

Atheist in name only

Old 06-07-2019, 03:16 PM

Arach, you are up against a tough crowd.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:51 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,913,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I am sorry I can't follow up with that post; can't find it. I have written too many posts since then, which is unexpected.
That's okay.

There's a Bertrand Russell Society, you know. Doesn't seem like a particularly good reason to socialize, kind of like the Tall Club or Mensa. Russell's daughter, Dora, was a Christian, which he must have found annoying. I don't think I ever knew the details but one of his five wives, an early one, was a Quaker (thee and thou); perhaps Dora was a child from that union. Russell went for a walk and realized he was no longer in love with his wife, and that was that. She apparently remained in love with him for the rest of her life.

Seems kind of cold blooded.

Bertrand Russell Society
https://users.drew.edu/~jlenz/brs.html

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 06-07-2019 at 05:05 PM..

Old 06-07-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
That's okay.

There's a Bertrand Russell Society, you know. Doesn't seem like a particularly good reason to socialize, kind of like the Tall Club or Mensa. Russell's daughter, Dora, was a Christian, which he must have found annoying. I don't think I ever knew the details but one of his five wives, an early one, was a Quaker (thee and thou); perhaps Dora was a child from that union. Russell went for a walk and realized he was no longer in love with his wife, and that was that. She apparently remained in love with him for the rest of her life.

Seems kind of cold blooded.

Bertrand Russell Society
https://users.drew.edu/~jlenz/brs.html
So your comment about him being cold-blooded motivated me to find the quote. I did so after using the search function more effectively. It was in the thread about the intelligent being abused.

"Affection is not created; it can only be liberated"

This was your reply.

Quote:
I found the source of the Russell quote you cited ("Affection is not created; it can only be liberated") :

On Education, Especially In Early Childhood
https://books.google.com/books?id=yj...ussell&f=false

If you look at the context, it's hard to see how that sentence has anything to do with accepting people who are different.

I don't follow your reasoning. .
The quote resonated for me and I am not sure I can adequately explain why. I probably need to read it from the beginning to really understand his purpose for stating it but I can apply it outside of his context.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,913,413 times
Quote:
So your comment about him being cold-blooded motivated me to find the quote. I did so after using the search function more effectively. It was in the thread about the intelligent being abused.

"Affection is not created; it can only be liberated"

This was your reply.

The quote resonated for me and I am not sure I can adequately explain why. I probably need to read it from the beginning to really understand his purpose for stating it but I can apply it outside of his context.
I don't remember any of that. But Russell opened an experimental school for young children, at one point. I think it was perhaps Montessori-like, and came under a lot of criticism, though it would not have in contemporary life. That is very much like his losing his university position because of the massive amount of criticism he received for Marriage and Morals.

It's funny how if you like some author--or even some teacher--it can come to feel like they specifically belong to you and it's easy to forget, in the case of the author, that millions of others have read their work. Whitman is an examp!e; he doesn't just belong to me, but to the world at large. And yet early on I was resentful if someone quoted him.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:28 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,603,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
You defiantly seem like a Aino to me, not that that would matter much

Atheist in name only
yeah, Fundy theist say the same thing about their fellow believers.

But if you mean I am an atheist that doesn't make any choices based on a statement of belief about god/religion ... then no, I am not that type of atheist.

so it would probably be more correct to say that I am not in that sect of atheism.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Arach, you are up against a tough crowd.
I would say I am up against fundy think types.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't call it anything publicly and, in the end, it wouldn't bother me.
that doesn't really answer it does it. The guy gave people that don't give the whole truth, but aren't really lying either, the name "obscurist". it fits.

It didn't bother me at first, in fact I didn't care at all. then they start accusing some theist of doing the exact same thing. why is ok for my statement of belief to be doing that? but when another statement of belief about god does it they jump all over it.

then when comparing statements of beliefs about god to come up with a relative validity list, with holding information "so theist can't use it and make atheism harder to sell" just didn't seem remotely close to the best we can do.

it dawned on me, after a little experiment, that it wasn't the belief driving this behavior, its personality that drives the expression of belief. sick people have sick beliefs. weather god or otherwise.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I don't remember any of that. But Russell opened an experimental school for young children, at one point. I think it was perhaps Montessori-like, and came under a lot of criticism, though it would not have in contemporary life. That is very much like his losing his university position because of the massive amount of criticism he received for Marriage and Morals.

It's funny how if you like some author--or even some teacher--it can come to feel like they specifically belong to you and it's easy to forget, in the case of the author, that millions of others have read their work. Whitman is an examp!e; he doesn't just belong to me, but to the world at large. And yet early on I was resentful if someone quoted him.
I am the opposite. I get very excited when somebody reads the same book as me, which is very rare. Books are such a personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism