Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 12:12 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
. We have no idea what our brains are actually doing most of the time, and that's a good thing, as our consciousness is totally not up to the task of "running" us. Brains run on automatic as far as consciousness is concerned and only call on consciousness when a conscious reaction is required. .
It's long been my contention that what you say explains intuition.
The brain received and stored information you may not even have been 'aware' of but when certain circumstances triggered them, it "popped up" as intuition...a summary, if you will, of what you've learned that may apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 12:17 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post

I must be 'more' of an atheist than you because one thing I can't wrap my mind around is the idea of any sort of "mind/intelligence/purposely creative entity or the like, as the source of it all.
Except that's not what I said.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Except that's not what I said.
Sorry, but your use of "something beyond us" led me to assume ( yeah, I know, a bad thing to do) was going beyond just scientific explanations since we all have to acknowledge that ignorance.
Perhaps you could clarify?

Old 10-06-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but your use of "something beyond us" led me to assume ( yeah, I know, a bad thing to do) was going beyond just scientific explanations since we all have to acknowledge that ignorance.
Perhaps you could clarify?
I'm just saying there may be "forces" out there...not necessarily creator forces.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm just saying there may be "forces" out there...not necessarily creator forces.
Absolutely not trying to hassle you, just genuinely curious.
Can yo explain what you mean by "forces" if not just unknown scientific facts?

Old 10-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
When you die, and you just gone? Or is there something beyond? Another "realm", for wont of a better term.

How did a psychic know I was raised by my maternal grandmother and that I had a step-grandfather?

What are things "that go bump in the night"?

Old 10-06-2019, 12:48 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
I think it probably references levels of intelligence/power of which we currently are unaware.

There is an intelligence hierarchy among living entities on earth. It ranges from thoughtless life forms such as plants or bacteria, through creatures with brains in various stages of capability development. Insects aren't as intellectually developed as cows, which in turn are less advanced than dogs, and eventually we arrive at the top of the chain...us.

Who is to say that if there is an ultimate force responsible for the creation and sustaining of the universe, that it is the next step in intellectual development? Why couldn't there be numerous stages of intelligence which are superior to our best, but inferior to the ones above and to the ultimate intelligence? Or maybe there is no ultimate intelligence, but still many degrees of existing forms of life which are vastly superior to ourselves. Or maybe we are as smart as it gets anywhere in the universe.

The "forces" would represent those forms of existence which are above us in development, but not necessarily the ultimate.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:49 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes we are. But I don't think that we need to resort to psychic cords to explain the feeling of connectedness.

First, there's the obvious - we are the same species.

Second there's the less obvious - that our consciousness is not the main way we encounter the world. I read a book a while back whose author (sorry, can't remember the title or author) contended that consciousness is our user interface. We have no idea what our brains are actually doing most of the time, and that's a good thing, as our consciousness is totally not up to the task of "running" us. Brains run on automatic as far as consciousness is concerned and only call on consciousness when a conscious reaction is required. That's why we can feel what seem like instant connection with some people - for whatever reason, our brain decides that this is a person we can trust. The pheromones that we don't consciously perceive tell us that this other person is sexually compatible or that we are more closely related to them than we are to most other people or that their face/voice are similar to someone we trust, or who knows what.

I totally agree with you that religions serve as one of several mechanisms that reinforce group cohesiveness, which is both a good thing and a bad thing.
Ah, but I feel the connectedness is to other species, as well. And trees and rocks and such.

Always have, since childhood, so of course it could be childish imagination still within me.

Not something appropriate or productive to discuss in this forum, though, but some of us have had conversation along these lines in the Pagan forum.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:07 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah, but I feel the connectedness is to other species, as well. And trees and rocks and such.
Might I politely inquire what the above means? With or without a feeling of "connectedness" (is that actually a word?) is life any different?

Old 10-06-2019, 03:04 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
FWIW, I have often thought that subatomic particles were nothing in the world but miniature galaxies. Thus if that's the case, there is an infinite regression, in both directions.

I am not a physicist and really know nothing about physics, except a little about the physics of playing the violin. So this theory seems plausible to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism