Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 11:19 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,911,209 times

Advertisements

I am curious how other atheists deal with the holidays. We've already discussed elsewhere how being atheist does not preclude enjoyment of sacred music, but what other cultural events are pertinent?

This last week I gave all my students bags of candy. I tell everyone not to give me anything, but promise to practice over the two week break. When I lived in larger cities it was not unusual to perform in a dozen or more Messiahs, in venues from string quartet to full orchestra, and even to do a bit of conducting.

Praying is awkward, when that comes up, and I have had people remark on me not bowing my head, even going so far as to tell me to do so, as if I were a child needing direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 11:29 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
I enjoy the christmas season. It's a great holiday...and it's a national holiday to me...not a religious holiday. I give gifts, I receive gifts, I go out to dinner with friends, I decorate, etc.

No, I don't pray, although I will bow my head in respect for my friend's beliefs, but not in respect of the beliefs.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:37 AM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Holiday? For a non believer? should be never.

from Old English haligdæg "holy day, consecrated day, religious anniversary; Sabbath," from halig "holy" (see holy) + dæg "day" (see day); in 14c. meaning both "religious festival"

Otherwise, it's a hypocrisy as non believer should be not celebrating a HOLY day.

Of course, it's a far fetched premise, as it requires one to follow his or her own principles and how many will....

Old 12-17-2019, 11:57 AM

1,456 posts, read 516,357 times
Neither my family nor I have ever celebrated Xmas. I think I must've been to no more than 6 or 7 Xmas parties in my entire life. At work I usually get cornered into secret santa but that's about it.

As phet, I don't make a big deal out of bowing my head.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:13 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
If our celebrated Xmas was even remotely connected to the day of this supposed Jesus' birthday......but since it's not, it's otherwise a conglomeration of many enjoyable pagan practices.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:20 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,911,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If our celebrated Xmas was even remotely connected to the day of this supposed Jesus' birthday......but since it's not, it's otherwise a conglomeration of many enjoyable pagan practices.
Yeah, pretty much. I'm not at all convinced JC even existed.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:25 PM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Looks like this is an annual topic.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/athe...ebrations.html

Old 12-17-2019, 01:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
This. Among my family and friends one family is religious and they are in another state, so we don't see them at Xmas. I can't remember the last time I was around anyone that tried to make it into anything other than a fun celebration of giving and eating.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:23 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,352,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I am curious how other atheists deal with the holidays. We've already discussed elsewhere how being atheist does not preclude enjoyment of sacred music, but what other cultural events are pertinent?

This last week I gave all my students bags of candy. I tell everyone not to give me anything, but promise to practice over the two week break. When I lived in larger cities it was not unusual to perform in a dozen or more Messiahs, in venues from string quartet to full orchestra, and even to do a bit of conducting.

Praying is awkward, when that comes up, and I have had people remark on me not bowing my head, even going so far as to tell me to do so, as if I were a child needing direction.
Christians appropriated what was a popular pagan celebration of the winter solstice and the subsequent rebirth of the sun. Although I hold no pagan beliefs, I see no reason not to employ pagan symbolism to brighten up what is otherwise a cold and dreary time of year.

Jesus was not originally the reason for the season, after all.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:55 PM

339 posts, read 171,486 times
Funny:

Michael McIntyre On Christmas | Michael McIntyre

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhi7DgaWm6Q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism