Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 08:03 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalHumanities2020 View Post
Study finds that children raised without religion show more empathy and kindness
NOVEMBER 5, 2015 BY DAN AREL
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthr...XhkbpbL27-GfLs

Makes sense, given that they're forced to believe nonsense. So the dog gets kicked as you move down the food chain.
To be accurate, the title of the article should have reflected that this is about children raised in non-religious households.

My children have been largely raised in a non religious household but that's not to say they have been raised entirely without religion in that they have had some religious education.
We have attended marriages, Christenings and confirmations of family members and my kids have been taught about religion at school. They have all attended various friends Bah Mitzvahs and so on.
An important part of raising children in my view, is teaching them tolerance and understanding and about worldviews that are not the same as your own.
It may be possible I guess to raise kids entirely without religion but it's not very practical in my view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 04:57 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
Among WHO is the question ?
The Former USSR was a vast country . The article clearly drew distinction between regions , republics that were able to retain more of their traditional culture and faith , and those that were not able to .
That was the whole point :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1414406
That link does not give the answer, and you are not in a position to draw conclusions about who it is (religious or not) that are topping themselves in the former soviet states.

You are doing a very well -used apologetic - making causal connections which ar largely assumption -based. I noted in a list that war -torn countries (E.g S Somalia) or ones where the priority is survival rather than wondering what's the point of it all, have the lowest suicide -rates. Obviously religious conviction is not the first explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My brother converted to Islam. He converted, but I don't think that he ever got everything exactly right.
...?

"No, brother Islamia, Jihad does no involve riding war -goats against pointy -eared infidels on Mooseback!"

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-05-2020 at 05:10 PM..

Old 03-01-2020, 07:02 AM

2,448 posts, read 894,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It would appear that "Behave well because it makes sense" is a stronger motivator than "Behave well because otherwise you'll burn for eternity."
How does altruism "make sense" in an atheistic-naturalistic belief system?

Just to streamline this in advance, Hitch's frequent "The Golden Rule" rejoinder is a consequentialist argument, not a moral one.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:15 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
How does altruism "make sense" in an atheistic-naturalistic belief system?
No god is required for a preference for order over chaos. No god is required to learn that we feel better about ourselves when we are kind rather then when we are cruel.

Do you think facing life without a god automatically means that you will go through your day like a rampaging Hun?

Old 03-01-2020, 08:29 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalHumanities2020 View Post
What a strange post. Losing fear of an imaginary diety strikes me as a positive.
I think there is a benefit to a healthy dose of fear of some things.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:34 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
I notice that to the greatest degree possible, your posts are composed of airy fairy dogma written in neo gott dammerung. You are here in Rationallandia, and you are employing fire and brimstone preacher speak. That isn't something that works on any of us. It is spitballs against battleships.

I never venture to the Christianity forum because there rationality does not work, and I would be without a useful weapon, just as you are here. The difference is that you do not seem to realize this.
Very nicely put.

When I read unfail's last two posts I can't help think of the American who encounters someone who doesn't speak English thinks that speaking louder or even yelling will lead to translation and understanding.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:41 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Do you think facing life without a god automatically means that you will go through your day like a rampaging Hun?
That's intensely funny because lots of religious people believe exactly that, either consciously or subconsciously. Good observation!

Old 03-01-2020, 11:10 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
I thank their god it can control them, to a point.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
No god is required for a preference for order over chaos. No god is required to learn that we feel better about ourselves when we are kind rather then when we are cruel.

Before going on a rant, how about answering my straightforward questions?

BTW, just to head off more of this, I spent forty years as an atheist/agnostic.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
That's intensely funny because lots of religious people believe exactly that, either consciously or subconsciously. Good observation!
Actually, that is what is called a "strawman argument."

It's also a product of not speaking to many Christians and actually asking them what they believe instead of assigning them beliefs that are convenient to your own belief system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism