Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 07:03 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there are wealthy people and educated people and affluent people and people living in pleasant conditions who are believers
True, yet I would say it is more of a choice for them over it being more necessary for the poor. Also, they interface/interact and operate the practices of a religion from a completely different avenue in many instances. Example: The affluent believers would be the contributors/volunteers of a charity, the poor believers the consumers of the charity.

An affluent individual would be in a better position to switch faiths to "Pagnosticism" if they chose to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 08:43 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Protestant Christian churches do, also, or did when I was young.
10% is a suggestion, never a requirement - otherwise how could anyone just put cash in the collection plate with no identification?

Old 04-23-2020, 08:52 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
If nothing else, shared religion has historically been used to unify the masses; a group of rival tribes are more likely to stop fighting against one another if they have an unifying identity (in this case, a shared god)... and more malleable in being used to fight together against a common enemy (one who does not share the same god). An example of this would be Christopaganism: particularly in the middle ages, the Church was low-key fine with pagan tribes and peoples incorporating elements and traditions of their cultural religions with Christianity... so long as they adopted Christian god, too. For those who were a harder sell, like the Saxons, much harsher tactics were employed, but the end result was a unified empire.
It has been only to painfully evident that shared religion and even shared nationality only makes the conflict more bitter when they happen.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:10 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The ones that require 10% as far as I know are the Mormons. Many Catholics give NOTHING to the local parish.
Require? Not exactly. I know many, many Mormons who do not pay a 10% tithe, but yes, that is what is asked of us. And none of it goes to the local congregation or to support the local leadership.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:36 AM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Please keep in mind that the question I asked was (reworded):

What level of tithing/charity (in terms of percent of income) SHOULD occur to exemplify the life of giving that Jesus preached?

And, what percent of christians do that level of giving.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:41 AM

1,456 posts, read 516,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
10% is a suggestion, never a requirement - otherwise how could anyone just put cash in the collection plate with no identification?
There are countries that impose a church tax. Out of those, some have an opt out system, others an option to redirect the money toward a welfare agency, and so on - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax

Old 04-23-2020, 03:02 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
well, I always said that at least with a church I can so no. "secular" tithing can be a form of forcing morals on people.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:27 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Please keep in mind that the question I asked was (reworded):

What level of tithing/charity (in terms of percent of income) SHOULD occur to exemplify the life of giving that Jesus preached?

And, what percent of christians do that level of giving.
The answer is everything. 100%. Francis of Assisi did it. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Well, I guess Francis's followers.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:32 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Protestant Christian churches do, also, or did when I was young.
The Biblical requirement to give 10% of your wealth, which back then was mostly cattle and grain, was to support the Levites so they could perform priestly duties and not have to worry about working. Some Bible-literalist churches do use that to "suggest", sometimes very strongly, that this is what members of the congregation should make their goal, but there's no hard and fast requirement. A church that adhered to such a policy would have very few members.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:54 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
There are countries that impose a church tax. Out of those, some have an opt out system, others an option to redirect the money toward a welfare agency, and so on - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax
KZ made the statement and I believe she resides in the U.S. - that guided my response...also my reference to the collection plate and not a tax form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism