Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2020, 11:03 AM

51,219 posts, read 24,681,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
That people that belong to an ethnic group, a tribe, or a clan have kinship is known. IN fact by DNA analysis this is easily proven even in large groups. Some people can tell from which region in the world they came by doing DNA. It would be easy to assume that a group of 25-30 hunter gatherers share DNA.

Kin selection. Identical twins share 100% of their genes, siblings 50%. The closer the relative, the more genes shared in common. From the standpoint of individual selection, an identical twin can pass on "their" genes by the twin at their own expense. So it makes sense to sacrifice yourself for two brothers or eight cousins. And thus we have evolution favoring cooperation among relatives.

Robert Sapolski
https://www.robertsapolskyrocks.com/...evolution.html

If they do they hide it quite well.
That's all well and good, but it didn't answer the question I asked, and it is therefore impossible to tell which evolutionary time period you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 11:20 AM

51,219 posts, read 24,681,777 times
Quote:
There you go again with your hyper religious cancel cultur attitude. You are clearly the most religious person in the forum Phet (a religion not based on a deity). No system is perfect, but for reasons that likely have to do with human evolution some sort of religion was needed.

Religion seems to be an almost universal phenomenon, as Sapolsky—who is himself an atheist—freely admits. “90 to 95% of people,” he says, “believe in some sort of omnipotent something or other, every culture out there has it.” Rarely do two cultures agree on any of the specifics, but religions in general, he claims, “are wonderful mechanisms for reducing stress.”

It is an awful, terrifying world out there where bad things happen, we’re all going to die eventually. And believing that there is something, someone, responsible for it at least gives some stress reducing attributes built around understanding causality. If on top of that, you believe that there is not only something out there responsible for all this, but that there is a larger purpose to it, that’s another level of stress-reducing explanation.

Robert Sapolski
Stop.

All that is not what I asked you about.

Old 12-25-2020, 11:54 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,385,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Stop.

All that is not what I asked you about.
Phet:

You want me to atone for the Crusades and everything else that followed?

In turn I want you to atone for the fact that the Neanderthals may have been driven to extinction by the Cro-magnon man. Also ask for forgiveness because the Vikings tormented the British Isles for three centuries. Please get down on your knees and ask to be forgiven for the slaves that the Islamist castrated. And do not forget to cry mea culpa for the atrocities the Japanese inflicted on the Koreans.

Do we have a deal?

Old 12-25-2020, 01:18 PM

16,045 posts, read 6,417,125 times
Quote:
Phet:

You want me to atone for the Crusades and everything else that followed?

In turn I want you to atone for the fact that the Neanderthals may have been driven to extinction by the Cro-magnon man. Also ask for forgiveness because the Vikings tormented the British Isles for three centuries. Please get down on your knees and ask to be forgiven for the slaves that the Islamist castrated. And do not forget to cry mea culpa for the atrocities the Japanese inflicted on the Koreans.

Do we have a deal?
He didn't ask you to atone for anything. Here is what he asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You seem to be very good at acknowledging the "the massive benefits of religion as humans evolved in groups" an as history evolved. How come you only seem to see the benefits? How come I never see you talk about the other side of the equation? You don't seem to provide a very balanced analysis of the proposition. You may not believe in god anymore, but you seem very pro-religion.

Old 12-25-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
He didn't ask you to atone for anything. Here is what he asked.
Egypt, Jews, Greece, Rome, Catholicism and the reformation are the basis for Western Civilization. The good outweights the bad. Enuff said!

Old 12-25-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Egypt, Jews, Greece, Rome, Catholicism and the reformation are the basis for Western Civilization. The good outweights the bad. Enuff said!
What is the bad stuff?

Old 12-25-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
What is the bad stuff?

Another Phet on the making. Am I supposed to say the right words so I am not canceled? Is that your zealot religious persona speaking?

Old 12-25-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Another Phet on the making. Am I supposed to say the right words so I am not canceled? Is that your zealot religious persona speaking?
What?

Old 12-25-2020, 01:51 PM

I think that exchange really points to Julian's motivations? There can be no balance. It's either/or.

Old 12-25-2020, 01:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,303,839 times
Quote:
I think that exchange really points to Julian's motivations? There can be no balance. It's either/or.
He and Iwas are cousins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism