Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2021, 09:54 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,385,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

I received less anti semetism than my father and he less than his. If I had Jewish gand children they would probably receive more than I ever did. We all should stand against anti Semetism and anti Muslim as well as racism but as citizens wanting a better world. But it is not the role of atheism or our obligation to be part of that fight.

As far as your list that is a primarily American history. The very first black man I have ever seen had a white wife and little kids and that was in the 1950s. Yes there were racism and still is here as well but that list is more American than universal.
I wanted to reply to the first paragraph. I am a Latin American in the USA. My ancestors are from Spain and I basically look white or European. Nevertheless, I experienced discrimination based on my surname and a slight accent when speaking English. That was 40 years ago. Todays I see WAY MORE LESS racial discrimination than in the past.

I have observed an issue of post racism PTSD in some members of the American black community due to massive racism in the past. Racism has gone down markedly, but the post racism PTSD is real and some young people in this era are very stressed. It is a bit of a paradox: Racism is going down whereas the perception of racism is going up. Maybe this is the expected when things are improving.

Last edited by Julian658; 02-20-2021 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 09:57 AM

50,122 posts, read 20,884,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I... with once stole $15,000 from me. ...
Only 15,000? You got off lightly.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:57 AM

16,205 posts, read 7,169,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You are implying that not being a racist is not enough. Anti-racism activism can be useful when there is a well defined wall that needs to come down. A lot of walls have come down in the last 60 years. What are the walls that remain in place? The approach needs to be targeted. This would do wonders for the movement.
Yes, if you are not anti-racist you are racist. There is no comfortable wishy-washy middle like non-belief.
The walls did not just come down it came down only with activism and loss of lives. Dont just ask rhetorical questions, go find out for yourself.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:01 AM

51,218 posts, read 24,681,777 times
Quote:
I do not disagree with the above list, but many laws have already been created that forbid those practices. You are mentioning things that are not an issue anymore such as white only bathrooms.

It is the moral obligation of all of us to create a more fair society, but it seems many are stuck in the past when the fight against racism was much more targeted and better defined. A new paradigm is needed. From a practical point of view the best method is to change stereotypes. This is ongoing and in my view the best practice.

Regarding the one drop rule. That is about as racist as it gets and sadly it is used by the US government in the census and even by black activists. IN the USA we have more so call racial groups than the Old South Africa, meanwhile in France everybody is French and no one is classified according to skin color, nationality, or creed. I am not saying there is no racism in France, but French black people are way better adjusted and happier.

Voter suppression is not that big a deal anymore if one looks at the results in Georgia.

In summary: People fighting racism are stuck in the past and this sort of passion is high, but in my view not as effective anymore.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Florida and Georgia are both considering new laws that will restrict voting opportunities.

The one drop rule is used in the census? Not anymore. You are now what you say you are.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:02 AM

51,218 posts, read 24,681,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Yes, if you are not anti-racist you are racist. There is no comfortable wishy-washy middle like non-belief.
The walls did not just come down it came down only with activism and loss of lives. Dont just ask rhetorical questions, go find out for yourself.
Excellent post.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:05 AM

16,205 posts, read 7,169,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Again the should be the obligations of all citizens. It is not a component of atheism to combat racism, but a citizens obligation. And some atheists probably live in societies that have little to no racism or are of minority races themselves.

I don't find all post that presents a moral obligation upon us as atheist but only moral obligations that should apply to all citizens.I lost a friend if over 20 years because I called him on a post he made that struck me as racist against First Nations people. He did not like that so he ended our relationship. But in no way did I do that as an atheist or for atheism. As far as I know he too could be an atheist. 8 did it more because I have the confidence to stand up against racism something I failed to do 50 years ago due to lack of confidence in myself.

I received less anti semetism than my father and he less than his. If I had Jewish gand children they would probably receive more than I ever did. We all should stand against anti Semetism and anti Muslim as well as racism but as citizens wanting a better world. But it is not the role of atheism or our obligation to be part of that fight.

As far as your list that is a primarily American history. The very first black man I have ever seen had a white wife and little kids and that was in the 1950s. Yes there were racism and still is here as well but that list is more American than universal.
Well this forum is American, run and owned in America. It is everyone;s responsibility to ensure we live in an equitable society. The effect of an unequal, racist society is a cost we all bear. The suffering under oppression is often ameliorated by religion and that is how Black Churches became a powerful force in fighting for civil rights. So as atheists fighting religion should be interested in fighting the cause for religious adherence, not denying racism exists.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:14 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,385,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I don't consider my self racist; I am from Latin America. In the last 45 years I have seen a lot of improvement and it continues. When I listen to you it seems we are still in the past. IN that era the obstacles were large and quite visible. Now the anti-racist fight is not that simple. There are no signs in the bathrooms and many black Americans are thriving (much more so than Latin Americans). I see light at the end of the tunnel and you see gloom. There were 53 years between the Rosa Parks incident in the bus and the election of Obama as president. That is an astounding achievement. If you had asked a black person if a black person if someone like Obama could be POTUS in 2008 the answer would have been a resounding NO. The next president will likely be Kamal Harris. I am an optimist about this.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:34 AM

29,614 posts, read 9,832,382 times
Quote:
The hegemony of the male human is explained with mild sexual dimorphism. The male is larger, more aggressive, and produces millions of sperms. The female is smaller, less aggressive, and up until 1960 was saddled with multiple pregnancies during her youth. Try having a career with eight children. That is how humans evolved. BTW, in other species the female is dominant.

Existence for men was not a cakewalk. They often died in battle in an era where 97% of the world population was poor. The men that were powerful and educated were an extremely tiny percent and yet most men are judged by the standard of the exceptional and not the average. When they say most CEOs are men that also means that most men never make it to CEO.
Not sure I follow your point. What is it?

We all know how we evolved over time. How things were once upon a time very different from today, but none of that changes the obvious with respect to how sexist and/or chauvinistic ignorant attitudes prevailed in the "good old days" and still to this day.

When it comes to the statistics and/or percentages behind this truth still today, I don't think you want to go there...

Old 02-20-2021, 10:36 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,658,031 times
Quote:
I don't consider my self racist; I am from Latin America. In the last 45 years I have seen a lot of improvement and it continues. When I listen to you it seems we are still in the past. IN that era the obstacles were large and quite visible. Now the anti-racist fight is not that simple. There are no signs in the bathrooms and many black Americans are thriving (much more so than Latin Americans). I see light at the end of the tunnel and you see gloom. There were 53 years between the Rosa Parks incident in the bus and the election of Obama as president. That is an astounding achievement. If you had asked a black person if a black person if someone like Obama could be POTUS in 2008 the answer would have been a resounding NO. The next president will likely be Kamal Harris. I am an optimist about this.
I have zero problem with not stopping the push to end racism. I only differed in that I ask it if both sides. What's the role of the people in the unites states to improve their position?

I use schools because its like a mini experiment gone bad. The administrators over the last 30 years, in trying to be "equitable" basically planned, systematically implemented, and encouraged racism. White middle class Americans are are far more hated than any other group and school administers feed the flames of hatred. To the point where a whole generation now is entitled to take things from other people and don't feel in anyway, shape, or form responsible for their own rooms, homes, and towns bringing so dangerous and unforgiving. good job admins between 1985 and 2020. You really made a difference in the minority sector. Maybe let a different idea try.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:38 AM

29,614 posts, read 9,832,382 times
Quote:
There is no equality. Even identical twins with the same DNA achieve differently. BTW, there is only one human race.
I have encountered and tried to correct this misunderstanding about equality too many times to count. Amazing how it persists and how prevalent it is, but then again wrong-thinking is a common problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism