Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2020, 06:01 PM

8,739 posts, read 3,914,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Tell me how you are not influenced by Western Civilization?
Actually, you asked if our values, as atheists, were influenced by believers. That's a bit different than speaking to the influence of Western Civilization, lol. With all that twisting, you're quite the contortionist behind all your smoke and mirrors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 06:03 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Thanks for the advice!
I don't mind nitpicking if he makes a decent point.
A decent point would in some way alter the main point you were making. His nitpicks don't. They seem more to serve to denigrate your intellect or awareness of things he holds relevant.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:12 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,362,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Actually, you asked if our values, as atheists, were influenced by believers. That's a bit different than speaking to the influence of Western Civilization, lol. With all that twisting, you're quite the contortionist behind all your smoke and mirrors.
Are you able to make a point without using
sophistry?

Old 12-27-2020, 06:21 PM

22,431 posts, read 19,304,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This assumes no differences in human proclivity to argumentation, . I was raised in a very argumentative family. It was almost a sport. My wife is 180 degrees opposite and despises argumentation. People arguing on discussion forums can be presumed to be more the former than the latter which skews any impressions you might make from their interactions.
blaming others and making excuses is what people do instead of taking responsibility for their own behavior.

"that's the way i am" "that's the way people are" "that's the way i was raised" "that's what my family does"
is an example of making excuses and blaming others. instead of a mature adult taking responsibility for their own behavior, including their own thought, speech, action, feelings, and yes how we treat others.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-27-2020 at 06:48 PM..

Old 12-27-2020, 06:50 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
blaming others and making excuses is what people do instead of taking responsibility for their own behavior.

"that's the way i am" "that's the way people are" "that's the way i was raised" "that's what my family does"
is an example of making excuses and blaming others. instead of a mature adult taking responsibility for their own behavior, including their own thought, speech, action, feelings, and yes how we treat others.
Your self-righteousness exceeds anything I have ever encountered in my long life, Tzaph. Your outrageous expectations of people exceed any perfection beyond even what most people think God expects of us. I will ask you what I asked, young Marc, "How on earth did you acquire such a high opinion of yourself (and such a low opinion of others) combined with such high expectations of others"????

Old 12-27-2020, 07:08 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
Your self-righteousness exceeds anything I have ever encountered in my long life, Tzaph. Your outrageous expectations of people exceed any perfection beyond even what most people think God expects of us. I will ask you what I asked, young Marc, "How on earth did you acquire such a high opinion of yourself (and such a low opinion of others) combined with such high expectations of others"????
I suspect those of that ilk consider it a gift.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Your self-righteousness exceeds anything I have ever encountered in my long life. Your outrageous expectations of people exceed any perfection beyond even what most people think God expects of us. I will ask you what I asked, young Marc, "How on earth did you acquire such a high opinion of yourself (and such a low opinion of others) combined with such high expectations of others"????
there is nothing "self righteous" or "exceeding perfection" about a basic tenet of psychology and healthy relationships. it is not an "outrageous expectation," it is simple maturity, to take responsibility for our own behavior instead of blaming others or making excuses. anyone who has participated in, or is familiar with, any kind of counseling or therapy or recovery work at all recognizes this and acknowledges it. it has nothing to do with a person's theology.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:31 PM

15,897 posts, read 6,363,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there is nothing "self righteous" or "exceeding perfection" about a basic tenet of psychology and healthy relationships. it is not an "outrageous expectation," it is simple maturity, to take responsibility for our own behavior instead of blaming others or making excuses. anyone who has participated in, or is familiar with, any kind of counseling or therapy or recovery work at all recognizes this and acknowledges it. it has nothing to do with a person's theology.
Wasn't it you that said take it to the psychology forum? Personally, I don't know how we can discuss religion without venturing into psychology and philosophy but it's your rule (I think it might not have been you).

Old 12-27-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Wasn't it you that said take it to the psychology forum? Personally, I don't know how we can discuss religion without venturing into psychology and philosophy but it's your rule (I think it might not have been you).
i agree that psychology is an element of paths of religion and spirituality.
the post i responded to mentioned "what people think God expects of us." The point i was making was that basic tenets of maturity and healthy development, are not reliant upon a person's theology.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-27-2020 at 08:05 PM..

Old 12-27-2020, 09:05 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
This question is something I've always wondered about. My thoughts on it have changed over time. The question is essentially:
If you believe that religion is morally wrong, do you have an obligation to fight against it?

If you saw a mugging happening in the street and you had the means to help, I would think you should. In the same way, if you see someone teaching information that you know can lead to dangerous behavior, it seems you may be obligated to do something?

The way my personal views on it have changed over time is I used to spend a lot of time arguing against religion, but the more I did, the more I realized that there's not a single target you're arguing against. Everyone has their own personal religion, and very often their beliefs are pretty benign. For example, they may take the Bible as metaphoric or only take seriously the verses they like. The result being I end up spending a lot of time fighting something that seems relatively inconsequential.

I'm curious what all of your takes on this are.
Your argument doesn't follow...seeing illegal activity in front of you is not the same as trying to limit something POTENTIALLY "dangerous". Dangerous is a strong term and I'd say a relatively rare result of religious activity. And many who are religious wouldn't support that dangerous result either. There are other more common consequences due to religion but they are less negative so with less need of interference. All this points to lessened obligation to interfere in general. There are other general evils that we can act against rather than singling out religion.

Anyway, when WOULD you be obligated to interfere? When you see spontaneous religion breakout in the streets? Should I be attending religious services and start arguing with the officiant? I don't see a lot of religious activity because I don't participate in it and I don't seek it out, as an atheist. So, should I? Is that what you think?

Religion isn't all bad - it works well for some people and can be a catalyst for good things...but it isn't necessary - good things happen all the time without religion. So I'm mostly neutral. I wouldn't attack religion just for the sake of it - there would have to be something more generally wrong beyond religion coming into play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism