Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2020, 12:56 PM

10,796 posts, read 3,627,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
EXACTLY! There was no science, they were doing the best they could.

Yes, today people are dumber. We are actually declining instead of improving. Those that see themselves as smart have left behind a religion based on a deity, but many have simply replaced the silly belief system with another equally silly system not based on a deity.
Care to suggest what that "silly system" is?

Hint: non-belief is not a belief system, just like bald is not a hair style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 01:11 PM

51,391 posts, read 24,773,097 times
Quote:
I would love to see a change. BTW, I know no one that gets pleasure by seeing a segment of the population that is disenfranchised. When I walk by homeless people in Washington DC I wish they were not there. Why would I do something that contributes to homelessness. Last time I visited San Francisco the homeless were unbearable and very numerous. I witness public defecation, it was disgusting. Who benefits from this homeless in San Francisco? Do you know? Who has been running the city for the last 30 years? Who has been running Baltimore and Detroit for the last 50 years?
No. It is not about, "I would love to see a change". It is about what do you do, or what have you done, to bring about change. You're waiting for someone to do the heavy lifting...or even the light lifting. And this is too often the way many christians think...I don't have to do anything, I'll wait for god to do it.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:14 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,393,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

The 3rd dictionary definition of religiosity describes people that have heightened fervor for a non deity cause, see bold.

religious adjective

re·​li·​gious | \ ri-ˈli-jəs \
Definition of religious (Entry 1 of 2)
1: relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity
a religious person
religious attitudes
2: of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances
joined a religious order
3a: scrupulously and conscientiously faithful
b: FERVENT, ZEALOUS

Those that are hyper religious regarding a "non deity cause" can be as illogical as those that worship a deity.

Critics see in the social justice movement's occasional excesses and frequently overheated rhetoric something more than misguided enthusiasm — they see literal derangement. Last year, Jonathan Haidt co-authored a much-discussed Atlantic cover story on the crisis (“The Coddling of the American Mind”) that used the structure of cognitive behavioral therapy to diagnose American colleges as having the same tendencies as someone with a mental illness (“blaming,” “negative filtering,” “dichotomous thinking”).
Like A Prayer: Is Social Justice The New Campus Religion? - MTV.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. It is not about, "I would love to see a change". It is about what do you do, or what have you done, to bring about change. You're waiting for someone to do the heavy lifting...or even the light lifting. And this is too often the way many christians think...I don't have to do anything, I'll wait for god to do it.
I am not a politician or an activist Phet. All I can do is observe. Many cities with a religious fervor like yours regarding these issues have failed. And they have failed on their own with no outside intervention. As usual they blame the past. They have squandered resources because they are not using logic. A new paradigm is in other

Old 12-27-2020, 01:21 PM

51,391 posts, read 24,773,097 times
Quote:
I am not a politician or an activist Phet. All I can do is observe. Many cities with a religious fervor like yours regarding these issues have failed. And they have failed on their own with no outside intervention. As usual they blame the past. They have squandered resources because they are not using logic. A new paradigm is in other
And observers accomplish nothing.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Oops, I need to add. There is nothing wrong with atheism. I am an agnostic. The issue is that some replace Christianity with a silly non-deity based religion. Atheism is not a religion. These folks simply add a ton of useless view.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And observers accomplish nothing.
However, we do not do damage. OTOH, the practitioners of your religion have done a lot of damage.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,674,035 times
Quote:

For some it aint, like me. But for others, it is if they have to keep it clean shaven and shinny every day of their life.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:58 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,674,035 times
Quote:
Oops, I need to add. There is nothing wrong with atheism. I am an agnostic. The issue is that some replace Christianity with a silly non-deity based religion. Atheism is not a religion. These folks simply add a ton of useless view.
The line we cross is when we have to shave our heads everyday to keep it a high and tight bald.

We can be in a room full of naturally bald. But if I am shaving it, tending it, keep it shinny, everyday because I am going to show those people with hair that they aint so special. Then its a hairstyle.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:06 PM

16,123 posts, read 6,453,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
An online discussion forum is a very poor place to assess how anyone is "walking their talk," L8. Additionally, each individual has pragmatic limitations and constraints on their ability to impact or correct ANY societal inequities. Most of the PC verbalizations of support for whatever cause is discussed are mere virtue signaling anyway.
I agree. It's also a poor place to decide you know everything about someone like Phet but that doesn't stop you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism