Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 08:11 PM

2,962 posts, read 873,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
its how we treat the regulars (middle of the roader just trying to get a nut), not the fundy, that separates us from them.
By "middle of the road" do you mean a middle of the road atheist?, in terms of how you express your atheism?
e.g. between agnostic and militant athiest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 12:16 AM

50,143 posts, read 20,925,474 times
Moderator cut: Response to deleted post

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
People that are interested in post-life research should check this out:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson
interesting indeed. And memories of a past life are a subject that has interested me. Especially when I got interested in Buddhism of course. However, you have to bear in mind that the same technique was used to recall 'forgotten' cases of alien abduction.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-06-2021 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: As noted

Old 03-05-2021, 04:08 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,674,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
By "middle of the road" do you mean a middle of the road atheist?, in terms of how you express your atheism?
e.g. between agnostic and militant athiest
We can break it down any number of ways I guess. Middle of the roader between atheism and theism, Or just in atheism or just in theism.

I kind of bell curve everything. And we we need a little deeper dive into the group I will remove the evenly broken up 20-60-20.

Despite what people say, it is a popularity contest. Its how we apply "popularity contest". If we get confused, that's not a me problem. I am not changing what i say just because some atheist think its clouds the issue of fighting religion. I'll change when it clouds the issue of what we are talking about. When the facts support the claim, most people will agree with the claim. Some thing more fits. Obscuring something more because we are fighting religion and don't want to give them ammo fits less. Unless we are consistently repeating it.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:34 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,653,524 times
Near-death experiences are explained by surge in brain activity after clinical death.

Electrical signatures of consciousness in the dying brain
Higher levels of brain activity than in waking state

https://www.kurzweilai.net/electrica...he-dying-brain

It probably explains why the brain continues to process auditory and visual signals so that people claim they saw and heard things while they were dead.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:54 AM

2,400 posts, read 789,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
(Snip)

The task of presenting a rigorous scientific paper on the plausibility of the afterlife is beyond what is achievable with current science.(Snip.

If wouldn't be if an "afterlife" was real, i.e. if it was "true". However, since it is a lie, it will always be beyond what science can achieve.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:48 AM

64,121 posts, read 40,445,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
If wouldn't be if an "afterlife" was real, i.e. if it was "true". However, since it is a lie, it will always be beyond what science can achieve.
It is a problem of scientific measurement limitations, Salty, which may not always exist. Science continues to advance.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:12 AM

Stip fiddling, Mystic. If it is beyond current science, it is beyond validation, by experiment, research or a 'paper' as you say.

That mandates an unproven hypothesis and any assertion about it either faith claim, or a Belief, presented to look like one.

Just so we all know - now you can post whatever you like for an afterlife or what that means to you; nobody has any excuse for not knowing just what you actually have.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:35 PM

64,121 posts, read 40,445,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Stip fiddling, Mystic. If it is beyond current science, it is beyond validation, by experiment, research or a 'paper' as you say.
That mandates an unproven hypothesis and any assertion about it either faith claim, or a Belief, presented to look like one.
Just so we all know - now you can post whatever you like for an afterlife or what that means to you; nobody has any excuse for not knowing just what you actually have.
I have tried to reach whatever ethics or honesty exists within you, Arq, and have failed. You know that the ONLY thing that is not validated are my CONCLUSIONS from the otherwise validated science that I extrapolate from! You and your cohort, Harry, et al. deliberately keep misrepresenting it as if it is ALL not validated or is unproven science when that is far from the truth. That tenacious deception bespeaks a very dishonest soul. What on earth could possibly be worth maintaining that deception?????

Old 03-19-2021, 02:57 AM

'Extrapolations' is merely another way of saying 'guesswork'. I suggest that you use 'your' threads to explain you afterlife theories (which aren't clear to me even after decades of watching your many, many posts peddling your ideas) to those who may be interested, rather than bashing me because I say they are no more than a nice little hypothesis, which you have at various times admitted yourself.

Old 03-19-2021, 03:51 AM

12 posts, read 4,202 times
Thisnis a topic that has interested me wildly for almost 10 years now, since I have been in 8th grade. Along with the problem of "self" and qualia.

Now, I had many "beliefs" throughout my younger age about what happens after death, ranging from New Age stuff to plain nothingness of scientific atheism.

I find that for the most of us our emotions interfere without us even being aware of it and often times se choose to obviously believe what seems the most comforting to us.

However, as I grew older, it dawned on me that we dont necessarily need to look at this subject from either a religious or scientific perspective, but froma standpoint of logic.

Lets just say that everything that I write from this point on is a feeling I have, as I cant say I "think", I "believe" or, hell, I "know".

I have a feeling that the idea of reincarnation is simplified so that it is eie to understand. You, I, everything has an individual "soul" which goes through a number of reincarnations until it doesnt anymore. Then what? You see, in this "then what?" I also see a problem. We always think how something MUST have a final purpose. But take for an example a piece of music. There is no specific purpose for a song, there is no particular part of the song that is the purpose which song needs to get to. The purpose of the song is the song itself.

In the same way I feel its like thag with the Universe. There doesnt need to be any purpose whatsoever for it. It simply is. That is what there is to it.

So, to get back to the topic of afterlife. What comes after I, as an individual human being, die? Well I certainly dont have a feeling that I am going to sit on a cloud. Or burn. Or that I will somehow roam the Earth as a free spirit spooking people (although that would be kinda cool I admit).

No.

I have a feeling it will be all over again, something completely different, totally unrelated to this experience I have right now.

Because you see, I am going to the state of "nothingness" i was before I was born. And yet after all of the eternity that I was nothing before I was born, I am here! So...couldnt I happen again? I mean if I happened once I can happen twice, or...an infinite number of times...

Of course I dont expect to have any recollection of what happened in "previous life" as I have no recollection from all the other (infinite number) of "past lives".

The main issue we as humans have that we have no ability to understand how "I" can be both "I" and everything and everybody else at the same again. But still, all of you are "I" just like I am "I" .You all know that.

I have a feeling that the whole universe perceives itself through an infinite number of beings who are thinking of themselves as "I" and are what droplets of water are to the ocean.

You cant experience nothingness. So the feeling that i have is that, after you are dead, since you are goijg to the same state you were before you were born and naturally the very next moment will be the next conscious experience, but completely unrelated to this current one, since I dont feel we have an individual soul and I certainly dont feel we are going to be resurrected.

Because we have this idea that we dome into the world. But in reality we came out of it, are its part and, as constantly changing pattern of both matter and energy, have been here and will be for all of the Universes existence.

What was once interstellar gas (supposedly), became stars and planets. Then gas and rocks became life and eventually humans. See its a constantly changing pattern, but its the same thing. Its the Big Bang. We think of it as just an infinitely short instant in the very beginning but in reality its a process which is still going on.

Even throughout this life we are not the same matter or energy. We really are just patterns, recognizeable patterns, somewhat, and the only connection to our past selves" are our memories. If we had no memories, there woukd be just existence in the present moment.

I also have a feeling its all a "game" or a show of sort purely for entertainment. And its the most fun when you dont know what happens next and when you think every single time its the only time. Its the ultimate game of life, and the purpose is simply to be, whatever that means to the character you (but really "I") are currently playing.

So to sum up, what I feel happens after we die is the same as if we ask ourselves what happens with the universe after we die.

And the next thing that comes after the very last moment of this life, since you cant experience nothingness, is the same that which came before you were born. So I leave to every one of you to imagine what that next thing will be.

Last edited by DreamOfLife; 03-19-2021 at 04:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism