Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 12:20 AM

16,762 posts, read 4,971,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I have to admit i had no idea how fierce atheists in force can be until i peeked into this forum and met them.
You will be calling us militant next.

Quote:
My only exposure was Bill Maher when i used to watch his show until I couldn’t stand him anymore. But here atheists are everywhere, in every thread, fighting tooth and nail, where is the evidence, show me the evidence! So i had to ask what do they want?
Evidence. Why do you think we are asking for it?

Quote:
What do atheists want? Why do they need their own. FAQ that looks like a bad novel, with these hidden “spoiler” posts that need to be revealed??? Is this their bible or something? What is their passion? It seemed to me like they were against organized religion. Not so. They love Buddhism apparently, it is the religion of atheists.
Frankly I dont get atheism. That’s ok, i dont need to.
9/11, creationism, etc are problems caused by religion, but for some reason many of the religious do not want to accept this. We are here to remind you.

All you are doing is the usual theist 'why do those pesky atheists not shut up'? You do not ask this of Muslims or Christians, they have a right to preach their views, but non-believers, how dare they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 01:48 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You will be calling us militant next.

Evidence. Why do you think we are asking for it?

9/11, creationism, etc are problems caused by religion, but for some reason many of the religious do not want to accept this. We are here to remind you.

All you are doing is the usual theist 'why do those pesky atheists not shut up'? You do not ask this of Muslims or Christians, they have a right to preach their views, but non-believers, how dare they?
Everyone is not in agreement about the events surrounding 9/11. And it can be quite a sensitive topic especially for those who experienced loss or those who feel they are more of the expert on all things 9/11 than others.

So, anyone who uses 9/11 to badger other citizens is just pulling something out of their hind end in order to try and score cheap points using a horrific national tragic that the average citizen had no control one way or the other.

Why utilize 9/11 for shock value without referring to the 1995 practice run at the Alfred T. Murrah in Oklahoma City?

As to why some demand evidence it is because some feel they and their comrades are the arbitrators of truth. "I will trust scientist. Like with atheism, the majority are just like me male and white".

Old 02-27-2021, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Everyone is not in agreement about the events surrounding 9/11. And it can be quite a sensitive topic especially for those who experienced loss or those who feel they are more of the expert on all things 9/11 than others.
My brother missed the Christmas Market attack in Berlin by 2 days, no doubt also a sensitive topic for those who survived, but that does not change the fact that attack was also religious terrorism.

Quote:
So, anyone who uses 9/11 to badger other citizens is just pulling something out of their hind end in order to try and score cheap points using a horrific national tragic that the average citizen had no control one way or the other.
Quatsch, it happened, and religion played a role in it. And if you turn a blind eye to religious terrorism, you are then supporting it.

Quote:
Why utilize 9/11 for shock value without referring to the 1995 practice run at the Alfred T. Murrah in Oklahoma City?
1) 9/11 is more famous.
2) the Oklahoma bombing is not known for it's religious background.
3) Why is using 9/11 a cheap shot but not the Oklahoma bombing?

Quote:
As to why some demand evidence it is because some feel they and their comrades are the arbitrators of truth. "I will trust scientist. Like with atheism, the majority are just like me male and white".
So people demanding evidence for extraordinary claims is normal, except when atheist do it? And what has sex or color to do with demanding evidence.

I am sorry you are so insecure in your beliefs that you need to attack atheism at every chance, but can you please try and make rational arguments.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:08 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
I have to admit i had no idea how fierce atheists in force can be until i peeked into this forum and met them. My only exposure was Bill Maher when i used to watch his show until I couldn’t stand him anymore. But here atheists are everywhere, in every thread, fighting tooth and nail, where is the evidence, show me the evidence! So i had to ask what do they want?
What do atheists want? Why do they need their own. FAQ that looks like a bad novel, with these hidden “spoiler” posts that need to be revealed??? Is this their bible or something? What is their passion? It seemed to me like they were against organized religion. Not so. They love Buddhism apparently, it is the religion of atheists.

This is a bad topic to use to demonstrate that CB. It has no legs. Its not that it doesn't have sexiest in them. Its just that I see "sexiest" as a trait with men in power in general. Sort of that is.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:15 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
911-creationism-sexism are not caused by religion. That shows the exact same level of thinking as the general theist just following along. "bad religion", then follow everything like a sheep.

Yet another line of logic that shows atheism and theism has the exact same type of thinkers in them. No wonder that topic had be avoided.

But hey, I am just an atheist that doesn't believe in religion so I look for problems caused by people.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:42 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
My brother missed the Christmas Market attack in Berlin by 2 days, no doubt also a sensitive topic for those who survived, but that does not change the fact that attack was also religious terrorism.

Quatsch, it happened, and religion played a role in it. And if you turn a blind eye to religious terrorism, you are then supporting it.

1) 9/11 is more famous.
2) the Oklahoma bombing is not known for it's religious background.
3) Why is using 9/11 a cheap shot but not the Oklahoma bombing?

So people demanding evidence for extraordinary claims is normal, except when atheist do it? And what has sex or color to do with demanding evidence.

I am sorry you are so insecure in your beliefs that you need to attack atheism at every chance, but can you please try and make rational arguments.
It can be argued politics and greed played the greatest roles...where's the gold etc.?
You are projecting your need for me to feel insecure. Death is a certainty. The rest is conjecture and wishful thinking.
White males dominate in most areas (outside of athleticism). When the dominants assume the victimization role we are all in for a world of hurt. If you already have your truth let the others gather their conclusions instead of trying to arbitrate it 24/7.

Last edited by gabfest; 02-27-2021 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: added: (outside of athleticism)

Old 02-27-2021, 05:59 AM

15,849 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
It can be argued politics and greed played the greatest roles...where's the gold etc.?
You are projecting your need for me to feel insecure. Death is a certainty. The rest is conjecture and wishful thinking.
White males dominate in most areas (outside of athleticism). When the dominants assume the victimization role we are all in for a world of hurt. If you already have your truth let the others gather their conclusions instead of trying to arbitrate it 24/7.
What does that means when dominates assume victimization.
Not all white man are playing victim. I would say the majority of people (white man included) aren't really all that interested in dominating.

Old 02-27-2021, 06:41 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
I have to admit i had no idea how fierce atheists in force can be until i peeked into this forum and met them. My only exposure was Bill Maher when i used to watch his show until I couldn’t stand him anymore. But here atheists are everywhere, in every thread, fighting tooth and nail, where is the evidence, show me the evidence! So i had to ask what do they want?
All I'm going to address is the FAQ. The moderators were approached with the idea of posting a FAQ. As it was written and presented to us for review, it matched what we had observed and was in agreement with dictionary definitions. The "Spoiler" tags were used to make the document a bit smaller and easier to read, but containing more detail if you wanted to read it.

Why did we need it? There are a few reasons.We needed to define some terms so people would all converse using the same meanings. This had generated a lot of wasted posts in the past. We actually had somebody posting here that said he was an atheist, but he believed in God. We had another that said he was born into a Jewish family but he refused to admit that he was a Jew. He insisted that he was just an atheist. Another didn't believe in God, but was uncomfortable with the term atheist, so he called himself an agnostic. Agnostic is not a term for a "weak" atheist, so posting a definition seemed like a good idea.

You think it looks like a bad novel? Meh! It's been useful quite a few times.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, they play a role, as does religion. The people flying the planes on 9/11 where told they would have a place in heaven. Creationism is a religious movement, even though some people make money out of it. To deny that is to allow religious fundamentalism to continue.

Quote:
You have a need to attack atheism for what is normal behavior. Everyone should be angry that fundamental religion was responsible for an atrocity, but because an atheist has made this point, Gabfest once again attacks. Atheism makes you insecure.

Quote:
Now you are moving goal posts. Your 'male and white' paragraph was about asking for evidence, not victimization.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:41 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
All I'm going to address is the FAQ. The moderators were approached with the idea of posting a FAQ. As it was written and presented to us for review, it matched what we had observed and was in agreement with dictionary definitions. The "Spoiler" tags were used to make the document a bit smaller and easier to read, but containing more detail if you wanted to read it.

Why did we need it? There are a few reasons.We needed to define some terms so people would all converse using the same meanings. This had generated a lot of wasted posts in the past. We actually had somebody posting here that said he was an atheist, but he believed in God. We had another that said he was born into a Jewish family but he refused to admit that he was a Jew. He insisted that he was just an atheist. Another didn't believe in God, but was uncomfortable with the term atheist, so he called himself an agnostic. Agnostic is not a term for a "weak" atheist, so posting a definition seemed like a good idea.

You think it looks like a bad novel? Meh! It's been useful quite a few times.
A concept that takes such a lot of explaining, and explaining again within the explaining, has a fundamental flaw.
When you pitch novel you need to be able to say what it is about in 2 sentences. It concentrates your thinking. A very good practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism