Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2021, 10:07 AM

88,833 posts, read 85,240,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don’t normally associate with people who try to force their religious beliefs on me. Many years ago, I had a friend who tried rather cunningly to convert me to his religious persuasion. He did this knowing full well what my stance on religion was at the time. After a couple of incidents of this, I simply ended the friendship and was done with it.

That is how I handle these matters. Religion is something you keep to yourself.
I agree that's how it should be; unless, of course, people choose to discuss their religion in the context of sharing information rather than attempting to convert.

I've been fortunate enough to have been in multicultural work environments where that was the case. I learned a lot and found our differences and commonalities to be fascinating. I've met Syrian Jews, Syrian Christians (they were Presbyterians), and Syrian Muslims. I know a Mar Thoma Christian from Kerala in India, a branch of Christianity that predates Roman Catholicism. I worked with a Jain (my niece dated one for a while, as well). I worked for a Hasidic Jew who was born in New York City and didn't learn to speak English until he was 18 years old, and after that I worked for a Muslim who learned to speak English as a child in Pakistan sitting on a dirt floor in a schoolroom. His wife, who I also worked for, came from a wealthier family and so learned her English at a private school in Pakistan called "St. Paul's", a leftover from the British colonization. I attended a friend's consecration as a Deaconess in the National Baptist Church, a service that (unbeknownst to me when I got there, lol) went more than four hours and was followed by a huge traditional soul-food type supper in the church basement. I had a coworker who decorated her cubicle at Christmas by placing a stuffed Santa next to her picture of Ganesha.

I learned that stereotypes are pretty worthless and when you get past them, you can hear some really interesting stories. However, if someone goes beyond talking about or celebrating their own heritage and tries to push their ways on to me, I will shut down and walk away as quickly as possible.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:33 AM

51,068 posts, read 24,571,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I would insert "when" after "Except" in your sentence. Some people certainly do.
That's reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree that's how it should be; unless, of course, people choose to discuss their religion in the context of sharing information rather than attempting to convert.

I've been fortunate enough to have been in multicultural work environments where that was the case. I learned a lot and found our differences and commonalities to be fascinating. I've met Syrian Jews, Syrian Christians (they were Presbyterians), and Syrian Muslims. I know a Mar Thoma Christian from Kerala in India, a branch of Christianity that predates Roman Catholicism. I worked with a Jain (my niece dated one for a while, as well). I worked for a Hasidic Jew who was born in New York City and didn't learn to speak English until he was 18 years old, and after that I worked for a Muslim who learned to speak English as a child in Pakistan sitting on a dirt floor in a schoolroom. His wife, who I also worked for, came from a wealthier family and so learned her English at a private school in Pakistan called "St. Paul's", a leftover from the British colonization. I attended a friend's consecration as a Deaconess in the National Baptist Church, a service that (unbeknownst to me when I got there, lol) went more than four hours and was followed by a huge traditional soul-food type supper in the church basement. I had a coworker who decorated her cubicle at Christmas by placing a stuffed Santa next to her picture of Ganesha.

I learned that stereotypes are pretty worthless and when you get past them, you can hear some really interesting stories. However, if someone goes beyond talking about or celebrating their own heritage and tries to push their ways on to me, I will shut down and walk away as quickly as possible.
It depends on what the stereotypes are and how one reacts to them.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:48 AM

22,659 posts, read 19,356,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It depends on what the stereotypes are and how one reacts to them.
"A stereotype is a preconceived notion, especially about a group of people. Many stereotypes are rooted in prejudice."

Old 07-01-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"A stereotype is a preconceived notion, especially about a group of people. Many stereotypes are rooted in prejudice."
Are all "preconceived notions" bad?
Are all stereotypes "rooted in prejudice"?

Is there something wrong, for example, when dealing with a person from a particular culture to adjust your behavior based on cultural preferences?

Old 07-01-2021, 05:37 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,638,609 times
Quote:

Is there something wrong, for example, when dealing with a person from a particular culture to adjust your behavior based on cultural preferences?
Mirror phet ...

you turned your back on liberty and pursuit of happiness for all people. I kind of understand that. You have your agenda to promote. You will never fill that hole until your realize there is no hole.

You knowing deceive truth and justice for all people to serve your needs. That is where I deviate from you.

You probably wont understand this. Colleterial damage I understand. The complete indifference to incent victims is unacceptable. Knowing distorting how science works, even if that means you going dark, to serve your rampage is utterly disgusting. Especially from a person that believes they are "woke". all the while bragging on yourself over and over again.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:

it sounds like you don't know the difference between a stereotype rooted in prejudice
and cultural preferences

Old 07-01-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
it sounds like you don't know the difference between a stereotype rooted in prejudice
and cultural preferences
For an outsider, understanding some cultural preferences is often based on stereotypes. You just have a Pavlovian reaction to the word "stereotype".

Old 07-01-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
For an outsider, understanding some cultural preferences is often based on stereotypes. You just have a Pavlovian reaction to the word "stereotype".
stereotype carries a negative connotation. stereotypes are rooted in prejudice, as an earlier post astutely noted. They are derogatory. They are simplistic, reductive, superficial, and show a lack of understanding.

Stereotypes are diametrically opposed to "understanding."

whereas an awareness and sensitivity to cultural differences is based on seeking to understand, generally shows more depth, and carries positive (rather than negative) connotations such as honor, respect, and regard.

i have no idea what you mean by "cultural preferences." perhaps you can explain what you mean by that.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
stereotype carries a negative connotation. stereotypes are rooted in prejudice, as an earlier post astutely noted. They are derogatory. They are simplistic, reductive, superficial, and show a lack of understanding.

Stereotypes are diametrically opposed to "understanding."

whereas an awareness and sensitivity to cultural differences is based on seeking to understand, generally shows more depth, and carries positive (rather than negative) connotations such as honor, respect, and regard.

i have no idea what you mean by "cultural preferences." perhaps you can explain what you mean by that.
Tough luck...I don't agree that a stereotype is always negative.

I'll give you a simple cultural preference. Generally, Thai people would prefer to wai instead of shaking hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism