Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2021, 02:07 PM

2,962 posts, read 863,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In my whole life I have hated only ONE person. I'll give you a hint. I hated him beginning in 2016.
Orange man bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 02:14 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Orange man bad?
This is not the sub-forum to spell it out for you.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:29 PM

17,782 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Orange man bad?
The Catholics in Northern Ireland used to think Orange men were bad. True story.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:32 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
In my whole life I have hated only ONE person. I'll give you a hint. I hated him beginning in 2016.
Was a little earlier than that for me...

Old 04-29-2021, 08:39 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
Well, it cannot be ME plus I know you (probably) like cats......

As to the original topic, due respect is a two way street in my opinion......but respect must start with self respect. I have met so many people who have no self respect and thus no respect for others, for other people rights, needs, beliefs, ideas....sad that there are people like that and I can only think "what a sad existence those people must have."

Old 04-29-2021, 09:18 AM

1,094 posts, read 883,193 times
Quote:
In a sense, this question is a big part of our discussions here on the Religion & Spirituality" subforum. When you think of it, we atheists are often claiming a disrespect toward our beliefs (or lack therefor) and personal freedom. The religionists are also claiming a disrespect toward their beliefs, particularly christians on this forum, even though -- at least in America -- they claim to be the majority.

So what do individuals deserve in terms of respect when it comes to their religious views?

To get the discussion started, I would suggest that -- without overthinking it -- my view is:

I should respect the right of each person to hold whatever belief system they identify with.
I should respect the right of each person to practice their religious beliefs (or lack thereof) in the privacy of their home, their place of worship, or their mind, but not where the practice of their religion intersects with other people's religious beliefs.
I owe not one ounce of demonstrable respect or disrespect for their religious belief system (here I am not talking about a discussion such as what we have here on a forum; I'm talking real world).

Perhaps we even need to establish what the word respect means. To be honest, the definitions I just looked up didn't seem appropriate to the question.
1. Don't demand that someone of a different belief must obey your beliefs.
2. Don't demand that people must do things that disobey their own beliefs.
3. Atheism is not a special case. It is just another belief. All beliefs are equal under the law.
4. Don't expect people to prove that their beliefs are true.
5. Don't badmouth any belief.
6. If a religious belief annoys you, ignore it.
7. There is no such right as freedom from religion (it is actually a violation of the First Amendment).
8. Don't complain about religious radio and TV shows. Tune to a different station.
9. If a religion prohibits something you like to do, you do not have to join that religion.
10. Religions do not prohibit BEING GLBT. Some religions prohibit specific sex acts.
11. Avoiding a disobedience of ones own religion is not discriminating against you.
12. Don't expect religious people to pay taxes that fund something that disobeys their beliefs.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
3. Atheism is not a special case. It is just another belief. All beliefs are equal under the law.
7. There is no such right as freedom from religion (it is actually a violation of the First Amendment).
8. Don't complain about religious radio and TV shows. Tune to a different station.
9. If a religion prohibits something you like to do, you do not have to join that religion.
10. Religions do not prohibit BEING GLBT. Some religions prohibit specific sex acts.
11. Avoiding a disobedience of ones own religion is not discriminating against you.
12. Don't expect religious people to pay taxes that fund something that disobeys their beliefs.
Okay. Just for fun and/or to keep the discussion going as I sign off for the day. Good list, and if I may...

1. Don't demand that someone of a different belief must obey your beliefs. - Check
2. Don't demand that people must do things that disobey their own beliefs. - Check (unless their beliefs are harmful).
3. Atheism is not a special case. It is just another belief. All beliefs are equal under the law. - Check (if you insist on calling atheism a belief).
4. Don't expect people to prove that their beliefs are true. - Check (unless they are promoting their beliefs to you as truths and you don't agree and/or in the case of exchanging opinion about such things).
5. Don't badmouth any belief. - Check (but don't hesitate to "badmouth" beliefs that are harmful or promote wrong-doing).
6. If a religious belief annoys you, ignore it. - Check (unless religious beliefs unduly affect or negatively influence one's life).
7. There is no such right as freedom from religion (it is actually a violation of the First Amendment). - Check (and let's respect the right(s) that secular laws afford us as well).
8. Don't complain about religious radio and TV shows. Tune to a different station. - Check. (What I always do).
9. If a religion prohibits something you like to do, you do not have to join that religion. - Check (nor does that religion have a right to prohibit something I have a legal right to do).
10. Religions do not prohibit BEING GLBT. Some religions prohibit specific sex acts. Check (but regardless the language or "sin," LGBT people have their rights too. Just the same. May they not impose themselves in any way upon the other).
11. Avoiding a disobedience of ones own religion is not discriminating against you. - Perhaps not, but if the avoidance affects someone in negative ways, they have a right to object in whatever ways appropriate as afforded by the law.
12. Don't expect religious people to pay taxes that fund something that disobeys their beliefs. - Oh boy..., if we all could avoid paying taxes because of tax money devoted to things we don't agree with, how would that work?

Old 04-29-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Well, it cannot be ME plus I know you (probably) like cats......

As to the original topic, due respect is a two way street in my opinion......but respect must start with self respect. I have met so many people who have no self respect and thus no respect for others, for other people rights, needs, beliefs, ideas....sad that there are people like that and I can only think "what a sad existence those people must have."
I'm a bird owner, so I'm not a fan of cat owners.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
In response:

3. Except that all beliefs are not equal under law. Nor should they be.
4. There's one condition on that -- they have to stop insisting their god is the one true god and then pushing their belief onto the rest of us. Most of us atheists wouldn't be here if they would stop doing that.
5. Similar to #4. If they would stand down, there would be no badmouthing (at least for most of us).
6. Similar to 4 & 5.
7. WRONG
8. Is there some poster here who has complained about that?
10. Like that makes sense.
12. Are they not a part of our society?

Old 04-29-2021, 09:55 AM

I think Troubleshooter needs a little more work on the troubleshooting. Hope our help is appreciated along those lines...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism