Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2021, 03:43 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,385,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Wolf View Post

One cannot honestly pick and choose only flattering characteristics and attribute them to Christianity while dismissing negative traits as unrelated to a society's Christian nature.
Nice straw man. The history of Christianity is full of holes. No different than the history of Islam, communism, capitalism, democracy, dictatorships, etc. The point proves nothing, it is just meaningless recycling of old empty phrases. The problem is MANKIND.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 03:45 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,355,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes. We have explained this to you before. If women and minorities fare the best because of Judeo-Christian values, this would have been true throughout the last 2000 years.

Do you think it is a coincidence that women and minorities fare the best in nations moving away from their Judeo-Christian values?
You are looking at it wrong. First of all Y9u can 9nly look at what a religion has done in the past relatively recent past. Islam being more tolerant of Jews than Christians stopped after WWII so does not count df9r example. Then you have to ignore the Christian based countries that are not tolerant of women or gays because they like those non Christian counties are mostly in the third world. And then you need to consider countries that believers are no longer over 50% as Christian because in this case we don't forget the past.

No we must judge a religion based not on of it is true or not but how secular the society is. The more secular the society is the more Christainity is good. I am guessing some posters are not liking my comments because I don't hate Islam sufficient for their liking. According to their concept a religion is only to be respected if a country has sufficient numbers to form a majority but not enough power to control their government. For example one needs to judge if to respect Judaism I needs to judge how Isreal handles minority rights and treats women. It matters not if the government acts according to the major religion but H9w that government pope rates in the secular world. If one views Isreal as being good to its minorities than you should respect Judaism even if the fundamentalists are strongly opposed to minority rights. Its all based son how one perceived a different government. How Jews or Judaism acts in other countries apparently has no bearing on if it deserves due respect.

The actual religion and how it is conducted in the West counts for nothing, only how it relates in some third world country unless Christainity is involved that that is ignored.

This thinking has zero t9 do with due respect for religion and all to do with their own bias and prejudice. Either all religions should receive their due respect or none. It's not about respecting a religion but it's due respect. I dont see how people who refuse to give due respect to others can expect to receive it back . And atheism apparently deserves no respect because of separate rational.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:47 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,385,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
your posts claim Cristan superiority and Crstn supremacy.
that IS the same disturbed mindset as white supremacy.
Calling someone a racist with no reason is poor form. I am a Latin American and don't believe in such crap. To assume Christianity is white supremacy is the most moronic post I have ever seen in this forum.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:52 PM

51,208 posts, read 24,681,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
An anecdote is just an anecdote Phet.
Carry on!
Then please stop posting your stories about being a cultural christian. Most of them were just anecdotes.

31,373 posts, read 20,303,839 times
Quote:
Nice straw man. The history of Christianity is full of holes. No different than the history of Islam, communism, capitalism, democracy, dictatorships, etc. The point proves nothing, it is just meaningless recycling of old empty phrases. The problem is MANKIND.
You've been well and truly pwnd.

22,813 posts, read 19,419,383 times
Quote:
Calling someone a racist with no reason is poor form. I am a Latin American and don't believe in such crap. To assume Christianity is white supremacy is the most moronic post I have ever seen in this forum.
the views you espouse and defend and promote "why Crstnty is superior" Crstn supremacy, are identical to the mindest of those who espouse and defend and promote "why whites are superior" white supremacy. That you (and others who share the views you have expressed) can't recognize that in the year 2021 is disturbing.

what part of this do you not get?
people are people. regardless of their race. ugly claims of white supremacy fail to recognize this.
people are people. regardless of their religion. ugly claims of Crstn superiority fail to recognize this.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-25-2021 at 04:51 PM..

Old 04-25-2021, 05:48 PM

9,416 posts, read 13,088,942 times
Quote:

The use of the racist card is inappropriate here. It is total BS, the most moronic post I have ever seen in this forum. Here is the map of Christianity in the world.

Note how the most Christian nations are in Latin America and southern Africa. Jesus (if he ever existed) was likely a man with olive skin. The greatest philosopher of the Church Saint Augustine was a North African.
Whooooosh.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:15 PM

88,915 posts, read 85,433,642 times
Please return the conversation to the topic.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:12 AM

16,878 posts, read 5,063,341 times
Quote:
Oh great, someone found a White nationalist terrorist that was a cultural Christian. That is it! Game over! Gosh I wish i could find me some terrorists that belong to other groups, but there are none. Game over!

This is bigotry.
Instead of your knee jerk reaction, you should read the post again that was a response about the term 'cultural Christian'.

It was an explanation about one member in a group of bigots who used the term 'cultural Christian' to describe himself, and nowhere said all people who use the term are terrorists. What did you expect, that there would be no terrorists who also labeled themselves 'cultural Christians'?

It would be bigotry if the post was attacking Christianity, but it was a response specifically about 'cultural Christians', so can only be relevant to Christianity. Why would anyone mention other groups when talking specifically about 'cultural Christians'?

Quote:
Nice straw man. The history of Christianity is full of holes. No different than the history of Islam, communism, capitalism, democracy, dictatorships, etc.
As no one argued otherwise, yes, you have a nice straw man there.

Quote:
The point proves nothing, it is just meaningless recycling of old empty phrases. The problem is MANKIND.
It was accurate, that is why you used it for the history of Islam, communism, capitalism, democracy, dictatorships, etc.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:09 AM

16,878 posts, read 5,063,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You are looking at it wrong. First of all Y9u can 9nly look at what a religion has done in the past relatively recent past. Islam being more tolerant of Jews than Christians stopped after WWII so does not count df9r example. Then you have to ignore the Christian based countries that are not tolerant of women or gays because they like those non Christian counties are mostly in the third world. And then you need to consider countries that believers are no longer over 50% as Christian because in this case we don't forget the past.
You are proving my point, not correcting it. If good comes from Judeo-Christian values, that would be true for the whole time those values have existed. When a religion adapts modern values, then it is does good, but because of those modern values; when it ignores them and falls back on it's original, ancient values, then we have the problems you mention.

Which raises the questions relevant to the OP, why should I therefore respect religion, and why should I automatically respect actual religious beliefs? The idea of Saint Peter resurrecting a cooked fish is absurd, but apparently we should still respect these beliefs, but the idea of fossils and temples found on Mars, then we can safely reach for the tin foil hat memes with no fear of being accused of bigotry and disrespect.

Quote:
No we must judge a religion based not on of it is true or not but how secular the society is. The more secular the society is the more Christainity is good. I am guessing some posters are not liking my comments because I don't hate Islam sufficient for their liking. According to their concept a religion is only to be respected if a country has sufficient numbers to form a majority but not enough power to control their government. For example one needs to judge if to respect Judaism I needs to judge how Isreal handles minority rights and treats women. It matters not if the government acts according to the major religion but H9w that government pope rates in the secular world. If one views Isreal as being good to its minorities than you should respect Judaism even if the fundamentalists are strongly opposed to minority rights. Its all based son how one perceived a different government. How Jews or Judaism acts in other countries apparently has no bearing on if it deserves due respect.

The actual religion and how it is conducted in the West counts for nothing, only how it relates in some third world country unless Christainity is involved that that is ignored.
That was also my point, the good comes from our secular society independent of actual Judeo-Christian values. Religion adopts, and adapts to, our values, it is not the other way.

Quote:
This thinking has zero t9 do with due respect for religion and all to do with their own bias and prejudice. Either all religions should receive their due respect or none. It's not about respecting a religion but it's due respect. I dont see how people who refuse to give due respect to others can expect to receive it back . And atheism apparently deserves no respect because of separate rational.
I can respect religious people for who they are, and I respect their right to believe, but their actual beliefs need to earn respect. So far I have found no belief specific to religion for me to respect.

But why should atheism deserve respect, it is simply not believing certain claims, and deserves the same amount of respect as not believing in Yetis or UFOs visiting earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism