Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 09:18 PM

2,962 posts, read 872,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Shallow minds think live is yes/no, good/bad...just binary.
Thank you. You have confirmed my prediction was accurate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Even though it's a simple yes/no question, I predict the answer you receive, if any, will be wishy-washy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 09:28 PM

51,208 posts, read 24,681,777 times
Quote:
Thank you. You have confirmed my prediction was accurate...
If you think these little taunts bother me...then your prediction ability needs a colonoscopy.

You are simply a pest, and, getting back on topic, this kind of tactic is one of the things that is so disgusting about some christians. Not unlike the hand written letters I get every once in a while from the Jehovah Witness church in my town...got another one today. Do you folks actually think these tactics win converts to your side? If you do, you need to rethink your game plan. Your behavior on this forum is counterproductive to your goal. Let me repeat that: your behavior on this forum is counterproductive to your goal. But keep up the good work!

I have no respect for* proselytizing, whether it's being done by a JW or by you. You are a terrible representative of proselytizing.

*staying on topic

Old 04-27-2021, 12:05 AM

16,878 posts, read 5,063,341 times
Quote:
No, you answered a question you made up.
This is the question: "Christianity has contributed more to the world than animalism. Do you agree? or Disagree?"

Possible clear answers:
* Agree
* Disagree

Please pick one.
Thank you.
You are only fishing for an answer you want so you can play your silly games later, using a statement out of context.

It is shallow, even childish, but is a good example of my position. I respect your right to believe in a god you argued can not exist, but I do not respect your self refuting arguments, and from your second post you have not earned my respect.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:23 AM

16,878 posts, read 5,063,341 times
Quote:
Wow. I made it so simple for you. You just had to respond with a "Y" or "N." Instead, you change the wording of the question and respond with wishy washy contradictory statements.

"I don't believe god exists"?
Yes, of course. You identify as an atheist, so I already knew that.
That's not what I asked. I was asking about the strength of your belief:

"Are you certain that the God of the Bible does not exist?"

Y or N?
Even though English is not my first language, I can parse what Phetaroi wrote. He answered the question in the first line, it was neither wishy washy nor contradictory.

Now are you going to answer his questions?

Quote:
Unless you possess super-human knowledge the obvious answer is No.
That would be the answer to 'are you 100% certain'. And we know what you will do with that answer.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:10 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,658,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Shallow minds think live is yes/no, good/bad...just binary.
mirror ...

Its uncanny that you don't see it.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Wow. I made it so simple for you. You just had to respond with a "Y" or "N." Instead, you change the wording of the question and respond with wishy washy contradictory statements.

"I don't believe god exists"?
Yes, of course. You identify as an atheist, so I already knew that.
That's not what I asked. I was asking about the strength of your belief:

"Are you certain that the God of the Bible does not exist?"

Y or N?
The all powerful, all knowing, can do anything it wants type god. no, not 100% certain. But I am more certain that it does not exist than I am that it does. By a long shot. It not existing is more consistent with observation than it existing is.

Once we start to change its traits then something existing is more certain than something not existing, by a long shot. When we start to deny everything we move into the area of "deity certainty".

Old 04-27-2021, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sorry, but you are overstating things a bit.
Spoiler
There is a source of "knowing" and knowledge that may not be superhuman but can be just as convincing - personal experience.
yup.

That's why it has to be avoided in a fight religion arena. As we look at the different claims, believing in something starts to make deny everything look exactly like omni god only belief.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:08 AM

16,757 posts, read 15,802,866 times
Why are we talking about whether God exists? This is the A&A forum. The topic of the thread is What "due respect" is owed religion and religionists?

Old 04-27-2021, 04:14 AM

define/list what traits a "religion-ist" has.

Do atheist and theist with those traits deserve respect?

If the word "god", or how we feel about god belief, is determining how we evaluate reliability then ... there is reason to pause and question how much resect is given.

Yes god or no god has little impact. To non literalist that is.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:22 AM

29,614 posts, read 9,832,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The ambiguity of meaning a word holds is also its strength. Boxing in a word into it's dictionary definition is diminishing the world of meaning that a word holds. This is one reason why religious texts are often ambiguous, they need to be studied carefully and with an open mind and within context which may be changing.
Tolerance is such a word. The verb and noun do not mean the same thing at all. Tolerance is forbearance with a positive attitude and openness to diversity when it comes to religions and various faiths. It is also called syncretism wehn practices meld.
No doubt ambiguity can be a strength, especially when we prefer the freedom to interpret words, books, in whatever way we like.

Go to the doctor with a serious health problem and pain, or to a mechanic with a car that won't start, or asking directions when lost..., and ambiguity is not quite as well appreciated. Not as well tolerated."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism