Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2021, 07:52 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,073,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I left a Buddhist forum where the discussions seemed pointless.
Isn't this statement oxymoronic given that Buddhism's ultimate achievement in many respects would be a state of emptiness/nothingness? This state would indeed be pointless, or a state of "pointlessness".

"When you go into the space of nothingness,
everything becomes known"

Gautama Buddha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 11:52 PM

16,848 posts, read 5,046,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The bold is the other side of the coin that you ignore, mensa. The trigger for the pantheism/panentheism content is the atheists' use of their favorite tactics which they bring up in every thread without regard to topic relevance. That produces the pantheist responses. I believe you about the amount of moderation required, but why assign all the blame to the pantheist rebuttals to the atheist claims of default and demand for evidence of God that triggers them.

Why haven't you banned all requests for evidence of God or assertions of the atheist default from the topics since they trigger the pantheist responses? Panentheism answers the request for evidence of God's existence so why is it banned whenever evidence is requested? Panentheism rebuts the atheist default so why is it banned whenever the default is asserted? Of course, but for the reasons just posted above, mensa. The atheists continuing assertions of the default or their requests for evidence of the existence of God. A fairer rule would ban those from the thread topics and restrict them to the A&A forum. Or you could just remove the rule altogether.
I would have thought asking for evidence is relevant to all topics.

As for the default (which you mention, not us), I see you still do not understand.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:00 AM

16,848 posts, read 5,046,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
That's a bit defeatist though isn't it?

People say that kind of thing all the time over on P&OC and on the States forums.
"If you don't like it, move"
Yeah okay. Or maybe I can try to change things for the better where I am. If in real life we all moved houses everytime we didn't like something about our town, we'd be a country full of nomads. Thankfully we live in a democracy where change is always possible.
And to be fair, Mystic has been here for 13 years.

And as I keep saying repeatedly, this is a forum. It's very purpose is discussion.

Anyway I feel like I've long since made my point on this subject.
I think the important word in your post is discussion.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:29 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,277,386 times
And, I would point out that this is the Atheism and Agnosticism forum not the general Religion forum. The Christians get testy when we poke our heads into their forum and rightly so.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:08 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,644,619 times
it seems to be, based on thread titles, a anti-religion forum not a belief about atheism and agnostic. Unless its why we believe religion is wrong forum.

List the last few topics. I don't see in other forums the title list so dominated by "atheism/agies believe this ..."

bible capital punishment
what respect are religionist owed
blog on ffr

the list goes on.

at what point is it about self praise and convincing ourselves.

Yeah, deity isn't all that rational. what is. in terms of a belief forum. In terms of us atheist and aggies.

are we that controlled by religion. Our beliefs are defined but what they are saying.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
it seems to be, based on thread titles, a anti-religion forum not a belief about atheism and agnostic. Unless its why we believe religion is wrong forum.

List the last few topics. I don't see in other forums the title list so dominated by "atheism/agies believe this ..."

bible capital punishment
what respect are religionist owed
blog on ffr

the list goes on.

at what point is it about self praise and convincing ourselves.

Yeah, deity isn't all that rational. what is. in terms of a belief forum. In terms of us atheist and aggies.

are we that controlled by religion. Our beliefs are defined but what they are saying.
What other topics should atheists and agnostics be discussing related to their lack of belief? As an atheist, religion inserting itself into my life is certainly a repeating and often, consequential theme.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:12 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
And, I would point out that this is the Atheism and Agnosticism forum not the general Religion forum. The Christians get testy when we poke our heads into their forum and rightly so.
That's not quite accurate. It's not a Christian forum. It's a forum about the religion of Christianity. Anyone can post there and disagree; however, there IS a rule about not arguing against the existence of God in that forum, since the existence of God is a very basic tenet of the religion.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:43 AM

Before I cross the line, what are the no-no topics in the atheist forum?

Old 06-16-2021, 06:47 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Before I cross the line, what are the no-no topics in the atheist forum?

At the top of the page:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/athe...rules-faq.html

Old 06-16-2021, 06:59 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,667,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Isn't this statement oxymoronic given that Buddhism's ultimate achievement in many respects would be a state of emptiness/nothingness? This state would indeed be pointless, or a state of "pointlessness".

"When you go into the space of nothingness,
everything becomes known"

Gautama Buddha
"Everything becoming known" is pointless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism