Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 08:20 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
We should takes bet on which post will be the last when the thread is closed.
I don't know why anyone thought following Danny to the Science forum would turn out any differently? This is like watching a multi-car accident on the autobahn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 02:51 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Just think of all the possible wagers. How many posts will be made? Who will make the last post? How long will the thread last before it gets closed for delving into non-science topics?

Old 08-26-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Just think of all the possible wagers. How many posts will be made? Who will make the last post? How long will the thread last before it gets closed for delving into non-science topics?
OK, whoever is managing the pool... I hung on through post #57, but gotta hang up my cleats. I am guessing others won't last much longer either.

It's hard to have a meaningful discussion about evolution, genetic drift, tectonic shift, geologic formations, mass extinctions... or pretty much ANY aspect of science, even if it doesn't require millions of years... with someone who believes the earth magically poofed into existence a couple years before God wrote the Bible.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 08-26-2021 at 01:59 PM..

Old 08-26-2021, 04:15 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Its only a real problem when the god isn't a deity. I mean when we grow up and leave that one behind. We are like "yeah, so what, it aint there ... so lets talk about what is there." Then the problem starts.

Using science to prove something other than deity is problematic to some. For some reason they feel it doesn't get them anywhere but nowhere they want to beeze.

lmao ... yeah, learning has a way of doing that sometimes. We can't just believe/say what we want. We actually have to start to support it. Something a statement of belief about a god (yes/no) has serous trouble doing sometimes.

Old 08-27-2021, 12:03 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
OK, whoever is managing the pool... I hung on through post #57, but gotta hang up my cleats. I am guessing others won't last much longer either.

It's hard to have a meaningful discussion about evolution, genetic drift, tectonic shift, geologic formations, mass extinctions... or pretty much ANY aspect of science, even if it doesn't require millions of years... with someone who believes the earth magically poofed into existence a couple years before God wrote the Bible.
I am learning some new things (including what hanging cleats means), and remembering some old facts, so it is for me a good experience.

If only other people would try and support their fake science in the science section instead of posting the usual ad hominems here.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I am learning some new things (including what hanging cleats means),
I suppose that "knowing when it's time to hang up your cleats" may come from American baseball or football, but equally applicable to German FuĂźball... or any other sport requiring specialized shoes, which obviously includes internet discussions with YEC types!

FYI, the alternative phrase to be used there was that it was "time for me to cash in my chips"... but I had already referenced the pool of bets, so it seemed incongruous to introduce a different form of gambling. Who knew such careful attention was needed to select just the right phrase??

Quote:
and remembering some old facts, so it is for me a good experience..
For me too, but only to a point. After 40 years teaching MDs and PhDs, I know the best way to really learn something is to figure out how to explain it effectively to others. Regrettably, that effectiveness is not apparent here. But then my doctoral students didn't have their fingers surgically implanted in their ears.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 08-27-2021 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-27-2021, 06:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
They know what they don't know.
They are actively trying to learn it.

That is not what is happening here. They just get to say "I don't believe you." Or avoid anything that challenges their world view. Or the slows the great "cause". Same ol'd song. Their statement of belief about god (yes/no) is going to save us. Truth be damned.

Tow the line or shunned.
If you're lucky.

Old 08-28-2021, 08:33 AM

All bets have been placed, aaaaand...... game over. Science forum moderator astutely assessed the situation and closed the evolution thread this morning with post #117.

For good measure, they simultaneously closed a parallel thread on "Big Bang Theory Problems," which was following an identical trajectory (theistic thesis statement -> evidence presented -> evidence ignored -> more evidence presented and ignored -> strawmen and insults -> Goddidit, etc). That one lasted less than 24 hrs.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 08-28-2021 at 08:47 AM..

Old 08-28-2021, 08:48 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
All bets have been placed, aaaaand...... game over. Science forum moderator astutely assessed the situation and closed the evolution thread this morning at post #117.

For good measure, they simultaneously closed a parallel thread on "Big Bang Theory Problems," which was following an identical trajectory (theistic thesis statement -> evidence presented -> evidence ignored -> more evidence presented and ignored -> strawmen and insults -> Goddidit, etc). That one lasted less than 24 hrs.
Actually, I think the science forum moderator must have been enjoying Danny Kaye get spanked and beaten. The thread went on for far longer than I thought it would!

It went completely to hell when we learned that Danny Kaye actually thinks the world is 6,000 years old. Once you go there, you bascially confess that your mind is a ruined structure. Incapable of cogent thought.

Old 08-28-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Actually, I think the science forum moderator must have been enjoying Danny Kaye get spanked and beaten. The thread went on for far longer than I thought it would!
It may have been entertaining at first, but they've tired of him now. Three threads closed in one day.... must be some kind of record?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It went completely to hell when we learned that Danny Kaye actually thinks the world is 6,000 years old. Once you go there, you bascially confess that your mind is a ruined structure. Incapable of cogent thought.
That was admittedly a turning point for me, in my willingness to play along. Getting back closer to the topic of THIS thread, and the question that often arises about "how much respect is deserved?"..... I can understand that some people feel a need to fill in the legitimate gaps in our knowledge (e.g., the cosmological origins of universe) with god(s). I prefer to admit we simply don't know... but ok, do what you gotta do. However, there is NO excuse for people who insist on clinging to gaps that have long since been filled (e.g., age of the earth, evolution, etc). No excuse, and no reason to respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism