Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2021, 08:49 AM

64,122 posts, read 40,445,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Agreed, so long as you are discussing what defines you. However, when you venture into informing someone else what defines them, and then arguing with what they say due to such flimsy points as "genes", "morals", and "actions" ARE SO labels, you have become quite silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 09:13 AM

7,681 posts, read 4,217,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above, good point. (and central to paths of "religion and spirituality")

for instance i am not (defined by) my body. i am not (defined by) my bank account. i am not (defined by) my career or my marital status or my age or race or ethnicity. i am not my thoughts or emotions or history or family, i am not the letters after my name or what i own or where i live.

i don't think it's silly or picky to discuss these, although probably it better belongs in the general R&S section than in this sub-section of A&A.
Picky was not meant to be used in a negative sense. Instead, it was meant to describe the style of interaction which was point-by-point.

A description of me would include all of those items in your second paragraph. Then others would immediately know what I am not. For example, I am a female. Therefore, I am not a male. I am defined by that particular descriptor. The same would be for atheism. As a result, I am not a theist or a believer of a religion of any kind. A person can then kind of guess things about me based on these point-by-point descriptors. However, they wouldn't be the only things that define me.

None of these are meant to create a wall, a division of me vs them. I also get the sense from your posts that you don't want that as well. They are simply meant to show how special I view myself. (I know it's a corny thing to say but the word choice is intentional.)

Old 10-03-2021, 09:28 AM

51,393 posts, read 24,773,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Picky was not meant to be used in a negative sense. Instead, it was meant to describe the style of interaction which was point-by-point.

A description of me would include all of those items in your second paragraph. Then others would immediately know what I am not. For example, I am a female. Therefore, I am not a male. I am defined by that particular descriptor. The same would be for atheism. As a result, I am not a theist or a believer of a religion of any kind. A person can then kind of guess things about me based on these point-by-point descriptors. However, they wouldn't be the only things that define me.

None of these are meant to create a wall, a division of me vs them. I also get the sense from your posts that you don't want that as well. They are simply meant to show how special I view myself. (I know it's a corny thing to say but the word choice is intentional.)
Nicely stated.

Human beings are complicated. I've been trying to think of some person I have known who could be defined by one attribute. I can't. Although perhaps an observer might only see one particular attribute as defining another person. Instead each of us has cumulatively lived through a variety of experiences that make us who we are, some of those experiences are more dominant than others, but it's a mix.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:38 AM

22,850 posts, read 19,468,156 times
Quote:

bold above
intentional how so, in what way. what are you intending to convey?

regarding the word "picky" thank you for clarifying.
"specific" then or "to clarify" or to "look more closely at"
for instance looking at and bringing in word origins adds an element and layer of depth and consideration and richness to a discussion.

a person can be a not-theist and still participate in religion, for instance Buddhism. so "guess things about me" referenced in above post does not follow.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-03-2021 at 11:07 AM..

Old 10-03-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above
intentional how so, in what way. what are you intending to convey?

regarding the word "picky" thank you for clarifying.
"specific" then or "to clarify" or to "look more closely at"
for instance looking at and bringing in word origins adds an element and layer of depth and consideration and richness to a discussion.

a person can be a not-theist and still participate in religion, for instance Buddhism. so "guess things about me" referenced in above post does not follow.
I view the attempt to be picky or specific as an attempt to clarify.

In regards to your question, seeing oneself as special is mocked with some people. But I am using it in the same way as "specific" which is to "look more closely at."

Yes, a non-theist can participate in religion as we often do with religious traditions. When I think of a religious follower I think of a person who references a particular book and tries to stay loyal to the intentions behind the book. I am a loyal person in some ways but not in others. It is difficult for me to define this.

Old 10-03-2021, 01:18 PM

884 posts, read 361,150 times
Quote:
I view the attempt to be picky or specific as an attempt to clarify.

In regards to your question, seeing oneself as special is mocked with some people. But I am using it in the same way as "specific" which is to "look more closely at."

Yes, a non-theist can participate in religion as we often do with religious traditions. When I think of a religious follower I think of a person who references a particular book and tries to stay loyal to the intentions behind the book. I am a loyal person in some ways but not in others. It is difficult for me to define this.
Some forms of atheism may be belief systems. But for a lot of people it is not a belief system - it is the lack of a belief in God, not a belief in no God.

Old 10-03-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Some forms of atheism may be belief systems. But for a lot of people it is not a belief system - it is the lack of a belief in God, not a belief in no God.
That makes sense. Thank you.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:51 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,674,035 times
There are no official sects in atheism. But the words applies.

I would say that most atheist lack belief in some types of god, but believe in things that are even more "supernatural" looking than I even do.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:06 PM

16,124 posts, read 6,453,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
There are no official sects in atheism. But the words applies.

I would say that most atheist lack belief in some types of god, but believe in things that are even more "supernatural" looking than I even do.
I enjoy referring to myself as a polyatheist. I believe we lack evidence for many Gods instead of just the one true likely non-existent God.

Old 10-03-2021, 06:10 PM

22,850 posts, read 19,468,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I enjoy referring to myself as a polyatheist. I believe we lack evidence for many Gods instead of just the one true likely non-existent God.
atheism is lack of belief in god or gods.

not belief in lack of evidence.
evidence is not part of what is atheism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism