Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2021, 08:26 AM

50,903 posts, read 24,404,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I am not sure about the bold part. I think some atheists have tried to make atheism a system, such as atheism+, but I found that what they were trying to add to atheism was not based on atheism.
As with any other aspect of how we see the world, almost nothing stands totally alone. I think we all tend to interconnect various aspects of our lives. And that is not illogical.

For example, I'm an atheist. I'm also Buddhist. I also think there is some wisdom to be found in some aspects of the NT. I also believe in the Golden Rule. And so while all those things are pretty much stand-alone concepts, they all interrelate as part of what I guess I refer to as 'spirituality' (at least in the broad sense of the word).

Last edited by phetaroi; 10-04-2021 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 08:52 AM

16,807 posts, read 5,005,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As with any other aspect of how we see the world, almost nothing stands totally alone. I think we all tend to interconnect various aspects of our lives. And that is not illogical.

For example, I'm an atheist. I'm also Buddhist. I also think there is some wisdom to be found in some aspects of the NT. I also believe in the Golden Rule. And so while all those things are pretty much stand-alone concepts, they all interrelate as part of what I guess I's refer to as 'spirituality' (at least in the broad sense of the word).
I agree. My atheism is a conclusion based on evidence we have, and in response to religious claims. But it plays no role in my morality, political views, and also it has little, if anything to do with my study of the early Christian church. I can be an atheist and something else, but my atheism is just not believing in gods (or believing gods do not exist). It is itself not a system.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:36 AM

884 posts, read 357,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

For example, I'm an atheist. I'm also Buddhist. I also think there is some wisdom to be found in some aspects of the NT. I also believe in the Golden Rule. And so while all those things are pretty much stand-alone concepts, they all interrelate as part of what I guess I's refer to as 'spirituality' (at least in the broad sense of the word).
Atheists agreeing with some religious statements is interesting. For example I'm sure most atheists would agree with the commandment "thou shalt not kill." The difference to me is that for a lot of religious people, "thou shalt not kill" is right because God said so, or religion says so. While for an atheist "thou shalt not kill" is not right simply because God said so, rather it is right because of some other philosophical or moral justification.

I don't think that moral or philosophical justification is part of atheism itself. And the moral and philosophical justification used may vary from atheist to atheist.

That moral and philosophical justification may then begin to look like a belief system, but I see that as separate from atheism.

Equally, I doubt there are atheists who agree with the commandment "I am the Lord thy God: thou shalt not have strange Gods before me." That is because the only justification for that commandment is religious - there really isn't any other separate moral philosophical justification for it. And as there is no logical reason to positively believe in God, there is no reason to agree with that commandment.

Last edited by Peter600; 10-04-2021 at 10:13 AM..

Old 10-04-2021, 11:35 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,353,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Atheists agreeing with some religious statements is interesting. For example I'm sure most atheists would agree with the commandment "thou shalt not kill." The difference to me is that for a lot of religious people, "thou shalt not kill" is right because God said so, or religion says so. While for an atheist "thou shalt not kill" is not right simply because God said so, rather it is right because of some other philosophical or moral justification.

I don't think that moral or philosophical justification is part of atheism itself. And the moral and philosophical justification used may vary from atheist to atheist.

That moral and philosophical justification may then begin to look like a belief system, but I see that as separate from atheism.

Equally, I doubt there are atheists who agree with the commandment "I am the Lord thy God: thou shalt not have strange Gods before me." That is because the only justification for that commandment is religious - there really isn't any other separate moral philosophical justification for it. And as there is no logical reason to positively believe in God, there is no reason to agree with that commandment.
The commandment by God not to kill is confusing coming as it does from a God who subsequently ordered children and babies to be hacked to death with swords, and, well, general genocide.

Numbers 31
[15] And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
[16] Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.
[17] Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
[18] But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Joshua 6
[20] So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets: and it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city.
[21] And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

Joshua 11:
19 Except for the Hivites living in Gibeon, not one city made a treaty of peace with the Israelites, who took them all in battle. 20 For it was the Lord himself who hardened their hearts to wage war against Israel, so that he might destroy them totally, exterminating them without mercy, as the Lord had commanded Moses.

Ezekiel 9
[4] And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
[5] And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
[6] Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.
[7] And he said unto them, Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain: go ye forth. And they went forth, and slew in the city.

Samuel 1 15:
[2] Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.
[3] Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:16 PM

895 posts, read 476,300 times
And don't forget the biggest 'supposed' genocide of them all, the great flood. If god hated abortion, why did the ark only contain 8 adults? According to the story, god literally wiped out every child on the planet. That's a LOT of love right there.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:49 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,647,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
And don't forget the biggest 'supposed' genocide of them all, the great flood. If god hated abortion, why did the ark only contain 8 adults? According to the story, god literally wiped out every child on the planet. That's a LOT of love right there.
God is fine with abortion. The only mention of abortion in the Bible is when God commands it. (It's what men who suspect their pregnant wife has committed adultery are to force her to do, in front of a priest).

Yes, for God so loved the world He drowned it. What a catchy verse. Wonder why we don't see it on billboards.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:03 PM

63,885 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
God is fine with abortion. The only mention of abortion in the Bible is when God commands it. (It's what men who suspect their pregnant wife has committed adultery are to force her to do, in front of a priest).

Yes, for God so loved the world He drowned it. What a catchy verse. Wonder why we don't see it on billboards.
Why exactly is God blamed for the ignorant and irrational beliefs about Him of very primitive people?

Old 10-04-2021, 06:18 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,647,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why exactly is God blamed for the ignorant and irrational beliefs about Him of very primitive people?
The beliefs about Bible God are based on the Bible. Pretty sure we have discussed this before.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:02 PM

895 posts, read 476,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well if he was the creator of everything, as claimed, that would by definition, carry a modicum of causality.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:08 PM

50,903 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
Well if he was the creator of everything, as claimed, that would by definition, carry a modicum of causality.
Seems to me that "they" will fudge any concept in the religion to make the overall story hold. It's really a lack of principles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism