Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 10:10 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This one is a little out of date. The JWs thought in the beginning that a 144,000 adherents should be plenty but they have grown larger than that so for some time now the teaching has been that only 144,000 JWs will be directly in god's presence in heaven, the excess will dwell on earth but it will still be pretty nice.

At least in their system the unbelievers will simply not be invited to the party and will face, not eternal perdition, but annihilation.
Hmmm a bit of clarification. I, as a JW, can sincerely state the expectation that there will be unbelievers included in those who will dwell in a pretty nice earth. These would include nonbelievers as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 10:27 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I used to work with a JW, nice enough person but then I couldn't understand why she didn't celebrate Christmas or any other holidays really. That's when I was still a Christian and I had 5 Christmas trees in my house and decorated my office like Santa's office. I know what it looks like from the movie "The Santa Clause". I don't know, even now I think it's sad that they are so hard on themselves. Reminds me of my Grandfather.
I wasnt raised a JW. When we converted it wasnt hard for my family to stop those celebrations. As adults it wasn't hard to stop. It does help when you have family who love you regardless of what you believe and you in turn reciprocate. My mom would poke fun of us and say you only switched because you wanted to save money. We had a good laugh. As far as the children it takes good parenting skills to have success. Frankly, JW or not, some people have it and some don't. I appreciate your feeling sorry for us though. Peace.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:14 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
I wasnt raised a JW. When we converted it wasnt hard for my family to stop those celebrations. As adults it wasn't hard to stop. It does help when you have family who love you regardless of what you believe and you in turn reciprocate. My mom would poke fun of us and say you only switched because you wanted to save money. We had a good laugh. As far as the children it takes good parenting skills to have success. Frankly, JW or not, some people have it and some don't. I appreciate your feeling sorry for us though. Peace.
I'm glad to hear that you found your niche in the vast world of religion. Haha it would be cheaper to not celebrate holidays and birthdays, that's for sure. Especially Christmas. I don't even believe but I still celebrate Christmas with my family, who do believe. It's a long standing tradition and I have no problems with their celebrations of Christ.

Children are difficult at times but you love them through it and teach them what is right and wrong, do the best you can and hope for the best outcome possible. I am seeing for myself here lately just how important those formative years are. Love and support are very important, if that's what you have then you must be doing something right. JW or not, we all need that.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:33 PM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Hmmm a bit of clarification. I, as a JW, can sincerely state the expectation that there will be unbelievers included in those who will dwell in a pretty nice earth. These would include nonbelievers as well.
OK, cool. That is not what some other JWs have told me over the years but I'm glad you feel that way.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:42 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
why do you think this particular misinformation about JW is so pervasive that many who are not JW think it is the truth?

Old 09-27-2022, 12:40 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
why do you think this particular misinformation about JW is so pervasive that many who are not JW think it is the truth?
And you may not be the only one to have a JW as a member of the family.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:32 PM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And you may not be the only one to have a JW as a member of the family.
IDK, I've had JWs here and elsewhere carefully explain to me that they are annihilationists and do not believe in eternal perdition. I actually think this is an excellent feature of their belief system, at least compared to the doctrine of eternal perdition -- albeit amidst a veritable ocean of bugs. I also have read independent descriptions of JW theology that verify this.

Hd4me did not say they don't teach this, but that he doesn't think at least personally that those who are not JWs will be 100% annihilated at death. Maybe hd4me is talking about the special case of people who happen to be alive when the kingdom is ushered in, who haven't died yet? IDK. Maybe they can pop back in and clarify.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:59 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
IDK, I've had JWs here and elsewhere carefully explain to me that they are annihilationists and do not believe in eternal perdition. I actually think this is an excellent feature of their belief system, at least compared to the doctrine of eternal perdition -- albeit amidst a veritable ocean of bugs. I also have read independent descriptions of JW theology that verify this.

Hd4me did not say they don't teach this, but that he doesn't think at least personally that those who are not JWs will be 100% annihilated at death. Maybe hd4me is talking about the special case of people who happen to be alive when the kingdom is ushered in, who haven't died yet? IDK. Maybe they can pop back in and clarify.
I for example had a JW for a mother in law. Others have neices or uncles or cousins. It was wrong to assume that non JW are totally ignorant of the beliefs of that religion.

I just know that reading Awake and Watchtower is enough to make one disgusted.

Old 10-01-2022, 04:21 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,405,115 times
Quote:
If you're still here, can you say if there's a way to get JWs from visiting my house, and sending a letter when I don't answer? When my front gate is closed (almost always) they cannot reach the doorbell, so then I get a letter which I don't read (but I recognize the return address). I know this is one of the obligations of being JW, but is there a "do not call/write" list, or is this just one of the many annoyances in life one has to live with? I dislike being used to "score points" (repeatedly) for someone's religious purposes I disagree with vehemently.

I have some family members who converted to JW and it created a big rift in the family, relatives don't speak to each other anymore, it's very sad.

Last edited by aries63; 10-01-2022 at 04:31 PM..

Old 10-02-2022, 11:53 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
If you're still here, can you say if there's a way to get JWs from visiting my house, and sending a letter when I don't answer? When my front gate is closed (almost always) they cannot reach the doorbell, so then I get a letter which I don't read (but I recognize the return address). I know this is one of the obligations of being JW, but is there a "do not call/write" list, or is this just one of the many annoyances in life one has to live with? I dislike being used to "score points" (repeatedly) for someone's religious purposes I disagree with vehemently.

I have some family members who converted to JW and it created a big rift in the family, relatives don't speak to each other anymore, it's very sad.
LOL to the "do not call/write" list but as hard as we try, they try harder. Sorry to the other dude who I responded too, but y'all can be pretty annoying. My Dad used to eat JW's for breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism