Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 09:44 PM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times

Advertisements

"Your religion does not prohibit me from anything.

It prohibits you.

Learn the difference."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 03:55 PM

20,064 posts, read 13,524,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

It prohibits you.

Learn the difference."
I also like it, but to authoritarian Christians, religion DOES prohibit mankind across the board. Because of the concept of group / national / governmental culpability, you or me not following their prohibitions could bring the wrath of god not only on us (therefore it is legit to warn us for our own good) but on them (their failure to convince us or to be insufficiently strident in the attempt, would in their thinking constitute "condoning" our alleged misbehaviors).

Old 07-28-2023, 06:40 PM

17,825 posts, read 13,738,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I also like it, but to authoritarian Christians, religion DOES prohibit mankind across the board. Because of the concept of group / national / governmental culpability, you or me not following their prohibitions could bring the wrath of god not only on us (therefore it is legit to warn us for our own good) but on them (their failure to convince us or to be insufficiently strident in the attempt, would in their thinking constitute "condoning" our alleged misbehaviors).
Noah could have told you that is indeed a fact.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:01 PM

22,294 posts, read 19,272,896 times
"People are inherently good."
"People are generally good. We are hard-wired for goodness."

from article in a series The Wisdom Project by David Allan, Health and Wellness director

Old 07-28-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

from article in a series The Wisdom Project by David Allan, Health and Wellness director
Does this explain why as 1 in 3 American adults have been arrested at some point in their life?

Old 07-28-2023, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Does this explain why as 1 in 3 American adults have been arrested at some point in their life?
so regarding the thread topic, is the statement above "something you saw today that you liked" ?

Old 07-28-2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
so regarding the thread topic, is the statement above "something you saw today that you liked" ?
Your post was off-topic to begin with. But my response was on topic because most Americans call themselves christians but do not live up to the REQUIREMENTS of their religion.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:30 PM

16,809 posts, read 5,007,458 times
Quote:

We are also hard wired to use stereotypes, which leads to things like racism.

Old 07-29-2023, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
We are also hard wired to use stereotypes, which leads to things like racism.
again i am wondering, is view expressed above "something they saw today that they liked"

it s a great thread topic "something i saw today that I liked" and the responses are very interesting to read.
I am interpreting the topic to be exactly what the thread title states, inviting readers to share "something i saw today that I liked."
that is my understanding of the thread topic and opening post. since the opening post was a statement in quotes, i see that as an invitation to follow suit and also share a quote today that i liked. That is the lens through which I posted my own quote i saw today and liked, and the lens through which i am reading the responses.

perhaps something different was intended. still it is interesting to read the responses.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:01 AM

6,155 posts, read 3,376,909 times
Quote:

It prohibits you.

Learn the difference."
I agree that if you are an atheist, you aren’t in theory prohibited from anything.

Because atheism has no moral standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism