Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 09:39 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Cancel culture is an alliteration on top of it. It's catchy, it sticks, it's a great trigger word to use anytime you want to get someone upset and shut down their prefrontal cortex or whatever that is. Trigger words are designed to elicit an emotional response so in that sense they are thought stopping and qualify under both T and E. You can see how this would lead to I which is now you see these people as the enemy and everything they say is bla bla bla
I mean, most people who rant about 'woke' and 'cancel culture', are mindless, ignorant, hypocritical, religious right wing partisan/follower types, with no real fundamental concept of what they're ranting against, or why.

I am a liberal atheist, and while I loathe to ally myself with those people, I think those particular concerns happen to actually be quite real and legit. So I use those terms, as convenient short hand. Conservatives are still just as wrong as they've always been about plenty of things. There are extreme movements on both sides of socio-politics, that go off the deep end, and pretty much abandon rationality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 09:44 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I mean, most people who rant about 'woke' and 'cancel culture', are mindless, ignorant, hypocritical, religious right wing partisan/follower types, with no real fundamental concept of what they're ranting against, or why.

I am a liberal atheist, and while I loathe to ally myself with those people, I think those particular concerns happen to actually be quite real and legit. So I use those terms, as convenient short hand. Conservatives are still just as wrong as they've always been about plenty of things. There are extreme movements on both sides of socio-politics, that go off the deep end, and pretty much abandon rationality.
What is your evidence for that tho?

Old 10-04-2023, 09:56 PM

I would like to point out when you said you were asked your pronoun at work your didn't like that. Something like that protocol is to ask everyone. They can't just ask the transgendered people. Frequently when I was a Federal Employee I was asked questions or given stand up talks when in reality it was about one particular employee. That's protocol.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I would like to point out when you said you were asked your pronoun at work your didn't like that.
Go back and read what I said, because that is not what I said. I don't care if someone asks me what my pronouns are, and if they do, I'll gladly clarify that for them. I don't care if someone calls me the generic "they" because they don't know or don't want to assume what my pronouns are. That's fine with me. And I'm glad to call everyone whatever pronouns they prefer, regardless of whatever they biologically are or not. No sweat off my back.

What I don't like, is the huge pressures directly or indirectly placed on everyone, to display their pronouns everywhere, out of 'solidarity' or whatever.

My company has an email signature template which includes the pronouns in it, and most people except a small handful have their pronouns in there. To the point that there actually had to be a clarification from HR, that you're not required to.

And there are other ways that's it socially pressured for people to imply to everyone that they accept things that I don't necessarily always accept.

Especially with all this gender stuff, it's in the context of a professional/workplace environment, where I thought gender wasn't supposed to matter, and we were supposed to treat everyone as equals regardless of their gender.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I think you can't answer that. Perhaps no one can.

How do you know it's your true nature when you were born with a blank brain and this was something scribbled on it?
Intimacy

Old 10-04-2023, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
This is a direct result of social engineering and changing cultural values without adhering to a collective moral belief system. In the future, you will be forced to move the needle even further on any social issue and engage in the culture war even if it's against your inherent beliefs because you have no established core tenets that state what is right and what is wrong.

You said "conservatives are just as wrong as they've always been about plenty of things" but in actuality we've been right on everything.
Perhaps you'd like to give me evidence. If you show me I can give you the words to bust them out. Let's do this!

Old 10-05-2023, 12:01 AM

I like to think of my politics as literally just that I oppose irrationality. Most of the time it's coming from the right. Sometimes it comes from the left. Nobody has a monopoly on rationality or irrationality.

Facts. Evidence. Science. Reason. Logic.

We have to value the truth of things, and a sound and rational approach to the world.

Old 10-05-2023, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I like to think of my politics as literally just that I oppose irrationality. Most of the time it's coming from the right. Sometimes it comes from the left. Nobody has a monopoly on rationality or irrationality.

Facts. Evidence. Science. Reason. Logic.

We have to value the truth of things, and a sound and rational approach to the world.
evidence

Old 10-05-2023, 01:20 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
Dont tell other people what they were born with.
yes i agree. this applies to the atheists on CD who have posted that everyone is born an atheist

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-05-2023 at 01:30 PM..

Old 10-05-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes i agree. this applies to the atheists on CD who have posted that everyone is born an atheist
Atheism is lack of belief in God, so yes, everyone is born an atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism