Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 10:46 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if belief in a creator is irrelevant, then why is it listed on the list of humanist values, as something to avoid?

for instance from the article in the opening post link

"Usually, an array of principles is provided as a list of what’s key to humanists—affirming human worth and dignity, reason, compassion, morality, ethics, democracy, scientific inquiry, naturalism, and critical thinking with no adherence or affirmation of a divine creator or other supernatural force. None of the definitions are entirely conclusive, and all are correct in outlining the fundamentals of humanism."
Its not required. A secular humanist wouldn't make non belief a requirement to have worth. A Religious humanist would not required belief to have worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 10:56 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i very much understand the wisdom of telling someone "Don't tell other people what they were born with."
my posts are not about you. i discuss ideas not individuals posting.
my post is about the view put forth, which i wholeheartedly agree with.

as the saying goes, "principles before personalities"
and any post on this public forum, can be responded to by anyone on CD.

Don't tell other people not to respond to a post.
Tzap, when you respond to posts do you really think we don't know which poster(s) you are criticizing?

Old 10-05-2023, 11:00 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Tzap, when you respond to posts do you really think we don't know which poster(s) you are criticizing?
Pretty much everybody.

Old 10-30-2023, 07:27 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Its not required. A secular humanist wouldn't make non belief a requirement to have worth. A Religious humanist would not required belief to have worth.

This is all about me As otherwise it would be one of those threads I would not need to add to as you bods did all that was needed.

But I'll comment here after a bit of humanist values to stay on topic - humanists are essentially practical irreligionists; they live in a world and society where they do not turn to a god, religion or Holy Book for Laws, Ethics of guidance. Even though some might be theists and even religious.

Which is why I have to observe that the anti -atheists do not Get it. And they do not get that they exhibit the hostility, never mind they apparently do not understand atheism or atheists. Nor do they want to as they never listen to or accept plain explanations. It is hard to avoid the suspicions that they prefer their prejudices to the true situation.

The "Then why does it say this..?" line shows that they think we are lying. Maybe just utterly mistaken, but more probably (as we ought to know) we are lying. But it is the fact that atheists can do business with agnostics, Deists and irreligious Theists and even humanist Christians ,as we share the same values and even objectives - to have a secular run society even if it has religion and protects religion.

All religion, which is not always what we get in religious societies, and never mind what happens to atheists. They see this and see that atheists are not the enemies even of religion. Only religions thinking they are the True religion and should have authority in a society. I'm not even looking at Holy Wars yet, though we don't have to look too far.

Thus, while I suppose the accusations and well -poisoning has given atheism and atheists a bad rap (and I have to say we didn't need the current Woke cult being an atheist one) it is the Theist or anti atheist 'agnostic' side that take the atheist case for irreligion personally and go for the jugular, and then play the victim and portray we as the aggressors, when they find we push back.

Cue: "What about the war on Christmas?" No more real than the war against trick or treat, Harry Potter or separation of church and state.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-30-2023 at 07:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism