Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:52 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Obviously you don't believe as Christians do, that the Bible is the word of God...so what do you think it is? Do you believe it was written over a long period of time (as Christians do) by many different men? Do you even believe that it was written 2000 years ago or perhaps more recently? Does it have as much credence as other works written around the same time? Why was it written? I know, lots of questions and I appreciate anyone who is willing to take the time to share what your thoughts are about the Bible.

The Bible is like the Koran and many other books. There are other religions with myths and gods and lessons.
Why was the Bible written? Like most religions, to control other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 04:38 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,951 times
Default Atheists, what do you think the Bible is?

It's largely a collection of pre-existing myths from various Middle Eastern cultures.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:19 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,068 times
What is the bible? A poorly written and pretentious fictional morality tale. Just my opinion.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:57 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,008,826 times
The Bible is like the Grimm's Fairytales.
The biggest difference between the two is that the Grimm brothers wrote it in German,

and the Bible was written in many different languages and translated by thousands of people over time.Hence, alot of artistic license goofy translations and then don't forget how each version of the Bible has been edited and adapted and distilled down to be reprinted into whichever specific denomination of Christianity....so there are ALOT of "Bible"s.

I think the Grimm's is a more 'pure' book.

But both (all) are very 'grim' in their own ways.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:28 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,945 times
The bible is like star wars. It's a good morality story with good and bad. Some people hate it, some people like it, and some people are overly obsessed.

Except with star wars the overly obsessed are called geeks and wierdos, while with religion they are considered normal and try to enforce their rules on others.

Imagine if we had a star wars fan as a governor the same was as a christian person. We'd all have to carry around light sabers and say "may the force be with you" when someone sneezes.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:26 AM

4 posts, read 4,699 times
[FONT=Verdana]The Bible, The Koran, The Rigveda and many others, to me they are all religious texts. They were written with the purpose of story telling, lesson teaching, and guidance. I believe that they are inspired by real life and written in an attempt to explain the unexplainable. Unfortunately I also believe that many of these texts have been altered by those in power in order to control the masses, convert those who disagree, or allow the termination of those who resist certain conformity. The main idea that many religions share is one of temperance. Call it the Golden Rule, the Wiccan Rede or whatever you like, most religions share the same idea of treat others as you would like to be treated. If everyone remembers that then I think hatred would have a much smaller foothold in the mind of man. Until then people will be content to never learn anything new/different and condemn others that think in any way different then their own. [/FONT]

Old 12-15-2008, 07:45 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
One other thing, it is almost guaranteed to put you to sleep, next time you are anxious, or tense and unable to sleep, try reading a chapter or two, I would particularly recommend Levidicus (sp?), it's the third book of the old testament,( Genesis is the first, Exodus is the second, ) and a particularly dull read, proly getcha to sleep within 30 min. If not, then Numbers, book four of the pentatuch (the first five books of the old testament) will assuredly do the trick.
Exodus has some pretty boring stuff too, all the commands for specifics in tailoring and building things. Well, much of the bible has redundant statements, aimless plots, sporadic time-lines, and continuity issues so it's all pretty dull.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:22 AM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234567890ABC View Post
The main idea that many religions share is one of temperance. Call it the Golden Rule, the Wiccan Rede or whatever you like, most religions share the same idea of treat others as you would like to be treated. If everyone remembers that then I think hatred would have a much smaller foothold in the mind of man. Until then people will be content to never learn anything new/different and condemn others that think in any way different then their own.
Well said . . . the spiritual body is infinite and has far more diversity of parts than our physical bodies. It is ridiculous for any one part to denounce any other for not being the same . . . "eyes" should not try to be "ears."

Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,494 times
Talking Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
The Bible is like the Koran and many other books. There are other religions with myths and gods and lessons.
Why was the Bible written? Like most religions, to control other people.
My attention span is too short to read through 6 pages...... but my answer is the same as what nebulous1 has written.

IMHO The Bible was originally created to control people's behavior....... be good, don't steal, etc. etc. etc. IMHO, humans do need a set of rules for civilization to flourish !

Old 12-16-2008, 09:08 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,710 times
I think that the Bible is a fascinating book which gives us a tremendous insight into how people used to live, what they used to believe and what they saw as moral and immoral. Although I don't think that the entire book is true, that doesn't detract from us being able to learn some valuable lessons from it, just as we are able to learn from the Tanakh, the Qur'an, the Guru Granth Sahib, the Tripiṭaka and all the other sacred scripts out there. Although you should take it with a pinch of salt (taking the entire book literally is a mistake in my opinion), it doesn't mean that you cannot still learn from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism