Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:00 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,183 times

Advertisements

I believe Jesus, the man, existed...there have been archeological and anthropological findings that seem to confirm this...but he was probably nothing more than a somewhat deluded prophet and teacher (Rabbi). The perspective of people two thousand years ago was vastly skewed from what is now known about the world and mankind in general. Jesus was charismatic (like Jim Jones and Charles Manson) and people wanted to hear what he had to say because they felt safe and protected in those words. Jesus told them that no matter how terrible they were, they didn't have to worry as long as they believed in him. That was all they needed to hear!

Anyone who has ever worked in the mental health field will know how people can delude themselves...especially sufferers of manic depression or schizophrenia...and I firmly believe that Jesus himself believed he was the Son of God. He could have escaped that crucifixion easily, nothing was holding him in town...but he believed he had a mission, that he was sent there to die, that he was himself God. This delusion is extremely common among schizophrenics...religious and God ideations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 03:31 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,996 times
I believe such a man existed. I believe he was a wise man who taught a message of love, peace, and unity. Unfortunately, he made the ruling religious class of his time uncomfortable, and he paid the price for it. The rest, in my opinion, was mythology intended to make his story survive and possibly as a way to reform the religion of the day.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:28 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,354,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I believe Jesus, the man, existed...there have been archeological and anthropological findings that seem to confirm this...but he was probably nothing more than a somewhat deluded prophet and teacher (Rabbi). The perspective of people two thousand years ago was vastly skewed from what is now known about the world and mankind in general. Jesus was charismatic (like Jim Jones and Charles Manson) and people wanted to hear what he had to say because they felt safe and protected in those words. Jesus told them that no matter how terrible they were, they didn't have to worry as long as they believed in him. That was all they needed to hear!

Anyone who has ever worked in the mental health field will know how people can delude themselves...especially sufferers of manic depression or schizophrenia...and I firmly believe that Jesus himself believed he was the Son of God. He could have escaped that crucifixion easily, nothing was holding him in town...but he believed he had a mission, that he was sent there to die, that he was himself God. This delusion is extremely common among schizophrenics...religious and God ideations.

I would like to see the proof you speak of. I have looked and the only thing I have found were forgeries written in the Middle Ages. No histories exist of him from his time, and no archeological or anthropological proof exists that I can find. If you have the link please provide it, I am sure there is a world of people who would like to see something other than a bible changed to meet the needs of the which ever church is pushing for control.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:45 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Those of you that believe Jesus did exist....who was he? Discuss
Jesus never existed. Welcome to Enlightenment! Religion – the Tragedy of Mankind - Articles by Kenneth Humphreys Check it out for yourselves. There is absolutely no reason to believe that such a person, as detailed in the bible, ever existed.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 PM

599 posts, read 1,260,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Jesus never existed. Welcome to Enlightenment! Religion – the Tragedy of Mankind - Articles by Kenneth Humphreys Check it out for yourselves. There is absolutely no reason to believe that such a person, as detailed in the bible, ever existed.
Lol...hmm, no bias on that website

Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,572 times
2000 years ago, some guy name Jesus comes to town, tells everyone he's God/Son of God whatever, he's full of himself, delusional and quiet misunderstood. In one word, he's a schizophrenic who needs proper medication. No one understands his actions, he pisses off a lot of people and gets crucified. His body then gets stolen, and no one ever finds him again. People wrote book about him, and praise him everywhere.

Fast forward 2000 years to year 2000. Some guy name Jose, comes into town, claiming he's son of god, quiet delusional, full of himself, and needs proper medication. He's suffering from schizophrenia and gets put on some miracle pill. Pills don't work as well as required, guy gets put away for good in mental institution and no one sees him again....
The only book is written is a medical record, the only people praying are his close relatives and friend.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:30 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,936,524 times
Wasn't there a historian and theologist that proclaimed that there were more than one "messiah" running around Jeruselum around that time. And the one callled Yeshua (Aramaic for Jesus) was singled out b/c he was more outspoken. It's like the street people here in LA proclaiming the End is Near! Which one is right? The one with the more intense look in their eyes in downtown Van Nuys, or the one on the corner of 3rd st. and Santa Monica Blvd that just lies there in a puddle of drool and urine. I can't make up my mind on which one is more believable.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:06 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,354,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Wasn't there a historian and theologist that proclaimed that there were more than one "messiah" running around Jeruselum around that time. And the one callled Yeshua (Aramaic for Jesus) was singled out b/c he was more outspoken. It's like the street people here in LA proclaiming the End is Near! Which one is right? The one with the more intense look in their eyes in downtown Van Nuys, or the one on the corner of 3rd st. and Santa Monica Blvd that just lies there in a puddle of drool and urine. I can't make up my mind on which one is more believable.
I think in all my reading I have found nothing which confirms Jesus ever lived.
The list of frauds and forgeries out number the pages in the bible.
I have to wonder, if this is true how the people pushing the bible and Christianity could ever justify the Jewish persecution and the deaths of the millions killed in the name of a Jesus who may not have even existed.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:15 PM

553 posts, read 568,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I think in all my reading I have found nothing which confirms Jesus ever lived.
The list of frauds and forgeries out number the pages in the bible.
I have to wonder, if this is true how the people pushing the bible and Christianity could ever justify the Jewish persecution and the deaths of the millions killed in the name of a Jesus who may not have even existed.

I believe A Jesus may have lived, but NOT with all the bells and whistles we read about in the New Testament. I find it more than plausible enough a life could have been lived that gave basis to the myths minus the virgin birth, miracles, rising from the dead and divinity, items that were added much later. Just another first century charismatic wind bag running around the place talking baffling words that a few people anointed as yet another messiah; characters who came a dime a dozen in those days.

I take into account one of the few early critics whose partial ideas have come down to us. His name was Celsus. He lived in the second century, closer to the action than any of us. He never denied there was a Jesus. He just denied the incredulous stuff lauded upon his life. In fact, he thought no more of him than the son of some Roman soldier and some little Jewish girl, a story cleaned up by later Christians.

Last edited by yydanay515; 06-27-2008 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 06:33 PM

17,782 posts, read 13,677,875 times
There is one school of thought that Jesus was actually a Jewish zeolot who was convicted in Pilate's court for being a revolutionary and spawning an uprising against the Roman state.

This school of thought indicates that the evidence of this is that Jesus was crucified and that he would have been stoned to death had he been convicted by a Jewish court.

Ultimately when the stories began to be written the others changed it to the story we have now in the gospels because the authors knew that they couldn't make the Romans the bad guys in the stories.

As a result they pretend to make the Jews the bad guys instead of the Romans. However it would seem that Pilate would have turned Jesus over to the Jews for their own justice if he actually "washed his hands" of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism