Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:59 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times

Advertisements

Religulous got a good review from Roger Ebert, who is known for using his Roman Catholic faith when judging any movie that involves religion. Well done Maher.

Now I just need to find a theater here that is showing the movie. I haven't found one yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 08:01 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Quite honestly, I don't know if Bill Maher made the movie in response to Expelled. I first heard about it about a year ago but it was one of those "Hey, did you hear Bill Maher is going to make a comedy movie about religion?" and that was it up until about a month or two ago. What was it? Early summer when Expelled came out? My guess is the two movies were shot and produced simultaneously or close to it so it's hard to say that one was a response to the other when Expelled didn't make it to theatres until early this summer.

I don't think Religulous is really a response to Expelled when thinking of it in that light although people can surely view it as a response if they want to. Although, I think Dawkins' response to Expelled was fine when he called for a cry against all those people who were ousted from their jobs as scientists for supporting "Stork Theory" as opposed to "Sex Theory".
Perhaps you're right about that. I don't know anything about the timing of the production of the two movies. Either way, I still would like to watch both of them, when I get an opportunity. Then, I can make up my own mind about how good, or bad they are.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I didn't say we had to agree with "Expelled", (and chances are, there would be things I wouldn't agree with, either). I merely think that one should be as objective as possible while watching both movies. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to watch "Expelled", yet, so perhaps I would find it bad, as well. I'll let you know when I get the chance.
Well, I didn't watch it, but I heard the arguments presented in it. There were a few that I laughed at as soon as I heard them.
One of the main arguments was that Darwinism and evolution were responsible for:
Nazi Germany: Hitler was a Catholic and criticized Christians for not being as militant about their beliefs as he thought they should. If Darwin lived in Nazi Germany, he probably would've been killed.
Communism: I didn't miss very many days back in school, and I'm 100% sure that Darwinism (Only the strongest survive.) is what capitalism and other market economies are all about. I'm not criticizing capitalism or market economies at all. I think they are better than government controlled economies. I'm just pointing out that Darwinism is what they are all about.
Atheism: Well, duhhhh.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Well, I didn't watch it, but I heard the arguments presented in it. There were a few that I laughed at as soon as I heard them.
One of the main arguments was that Darwinism and evolution were responsible for:
Nazi Germany: Hitler was a Catholic and criticized Christians for not being as militant about their beliefs as he thought they should. If Darwin lived in Nazi Germany, he probably would've been killed.
Communism: I didn't miss very many days back in school, and I'm 100% sure that Darwinism (Only the strongest survive.) is what capitalism and other market economies are all about. I'm not criticizing capitalism or market economies at all. I think they are better than government controlled economies. I'm just pointing out that Darwinism is what they are all about.
Atheism: Well, duhhhh.
Well, those are certainly some odd, (and bad), arguments, I will say, (well, at least the first two, anyway. LOL!). I thought most people knew that Hitler was a Catholic? And communism is a product of Darwinism and evolution? Hmm, I really do need to watch this movie for myself. I'm certainly curious, even more so than I was before. I wonder, is it out on dvd, yet? If it is, I'll have to make a run to my video store, to see if they have it. Which is what I'll do with "Religulous", as well. I don't go to the theater very often. Way too expensive!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Well, those are certainly some odd, (and bad), arguments, I will say, (well, at least the first two, anyway. LOL!). I thought most people knew that Hitler was a Catholic? And communism is a product of Darwinism and evolution? Hmm, I really do need to watch this movie for myself. I'm certainly curious, even more so than I was before. I wonder, is it out on dvd, yet? If it is, I'll have to make a run to my video store, to see if they have it. Which is what I'll do with "Religulous", as well. I don't go to the theater very often. Way too expensive!
It's been out for a while now, so I would imagine that it is on DVD. I am still trying to find a theater here that is showing Religulous.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
It's been out for a while now, so I would imagine that it is on DVD. I am still trying to find a theater here that is showing Religulous.
Well, if you get a chance to see it, let us know what you thought of it, (be objective, now).

Old 10-04-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Well, if you get a chance to see it, let us know what you thought of it, (be objective, now).
There are some parts where I know I'll be unable to be objective. I can't respect Scientology at all. Its claims are bordering on nutjob.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
There are some parts where I know I'll be unable to be objective. I can't respect Scientology at all. Its claims are bordering on nutjob.
You have me on that one! I'll admit, I have a problem with with being objective about Scientology, myself. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of traditional beliefs, (not necessarily Christian, mind you. Just belief systems that most people would consider as not being completely off the wall, or at least, those with which most of us are more familiar). Scientology is just way too peculiar to my way of thinking.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
You have me on that one! I'll admit, I have a problem with with being objective about Scientology, myself. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of traditional beliefs, (not necessarily Christian, mind you. Just belief systems that most people would consider as not being completely off the wall, or at least, those with which most of us are more familiar). Scientology is just way too peculiar to my way of thinking.
Well, I consider Scientology to be more absurd than any other religion out there.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Well, I consider Scientology to be more absurd than any other religion out there.
Well, it didn't exactly get an extra boost of confidence with Tom Cruise's antics, that's for certain. But, it is an odd religion, regardless of who's jumping on Oprah's couch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism