Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 04:45 PM

446 posts, read 552,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity." John Adams
If this is in reference to the second president of the United States John Adams (and not some unknown other John Adams), I do believe that John Adams was a very devout Christian who firmly believed in God, and prayed fervently and read the Bible regularly.

If thisis the John Adams you are referring to, I am sure this quotation was taken out of context or misconstrued to be made "his".

Just trying to keep the truth alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 05:14 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macharuadan View Post
"oh God I'm so sorry!,PLEASE SAVE ME!!!! (last words apon entering the eternal flames of judgement.
Smh.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:53 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
Macharudan wrote:
Quote:
"oh God I'm so sorry!,PLEASE SAVE ME!!!! (last words apon entering the eternal flames of judgement.
It's always so comforting to know that God is actually a sadistic monster who wants to torture someone for eternity just because they didn't think he was real.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:56 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy
Quote:
It's always so comforting to know that God is actually a sadistic monster who wants to torture someone for eternity just because they didn't think he was real.
The thing is that God doesn't torture people, people do.
You can't blame God for something only humans do.
That would be the same as believing that the original sin (of Adam & Eve) is true; that humanity is not responsible for its own actions.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:24 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macharuadan View Post
Pearls before swine,you sound tired and bitter signed Macharuadan,an irish tribal pagan
How about reality before assertions made upon a 2000 year old book written by bronze age goat herders that have nothing to do with observational reality?

Tired and Bitter? No.

Annoyed by people like you who love this notion of a fire-breathing, destructive, and monsterous being that loves to throw people into the pits of hell? All too much.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:06 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
Not all famous atheists but I like those nonetheless :

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. ( Senecca the younger)

You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend ( Richard Jeni)

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned ( Anon)

Don't pray in my school, and I won't think in your church ( Anon)

There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages ( Richard Lederer)

You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe ( Carl Sagan)

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer ( Anon)

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death ( Albert Einstein)

Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence (Anon)

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored ( Aldous Huxley)

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence ( Carl Sagan)

Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities ( Voltaire)

Friedrich Nietzsche : Which is it, is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's?

Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people ( Marie Alice Mc Kinney)

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. ( Terry Pratchett)

I would defend the liberty of consenting adult creationists to practice whatever intellectual perversions they like in the privacy of their own homes; but it is also necessary to protect the young and innocent . ( Arthur C Clarke)

I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology . ( Thomas Jefferson)

Old 07-28-2008, 11:25 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
The thing is that God doesn't torture people, people do.
Is this the same mindset that claims that guns don't kill people, people do?

Just struck me as an odd statement.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:31 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom
Quote:
Is this the same mindset that claims that guns don't kill people, people do?
I got it from a political cartoon which pointed out that governments don't kill people, only people kill people.
There is no difference between a government or a god, they are both abstract constructs ( they are both just ideas).

Old 07-28-2008, 12:55 PM

446 posts, read 552,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom I got it from a political cartoon which pointed out that governments don't kill people, only people kill people.
There is no difference between a government or a god, they are both abstract constructs ( they are both just ideas).

Wow, just wow...

Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
There's an old friend of ours who has a quote under his name on another forum... Can any of us old-timers guess who it is?

You never hear in the news... 200 killed today when Atheist rebels took heavy shelling from the Agnostic stronghold in the North.- Doug Stanhope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism