Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:29 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
OK, I'm going to let this on go. I will continue to say, "God bless you" after someone sneezes and pray that I have not offended them.

Straight Dope Staff Report: Why do we say "God bless you" after a sneeze?
Haha - OK, well that site seemed to confirm that there is really no reason to bless people after sneezing.
I didn't mean to give off the impression that I'm offended when people say "bless you" - just a little peeved and not really because of religion. I mostly have an aversion to meaningless pleasantries (like: when people ask how I am doing - I like it if they really care how I am doing, not just looking for a new version of "hello").
Here's a question: Does anybody feel upset at all if they sneeze and nobody says anything? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 10:15 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Here's a question: Does anybody feel upset at all if they sneeze and nobody says anything? If so, why?

I am so glad that you asked...

My three year old gets highly offended if you do not say, "God bless you" when he sneezes. He does not believe that the devil is going to jump down your throat or whatever else there is. He just has observed for the last three years of his tiny existance that people say, "God bless you" when someone sneezes. I am sure that he sees it as a common C-O-U-R-T-E-S-Y (wow, I hope I got that right). In fact, we just had this very discussion in the car not more than a day ago. Poor little boy sneezed and his mommy quite kindly responded with a "God bless you". He said thank you and then proceded to yell at his brother and sister who were in the car and DID NOT say God bless you. He told them that they had to say God bless you and he wanted me to confirm it. I explained that it was just the kind thing to do but that it was not necessary for everyone that was in earshot to say, "God bless you". If one person said, "God bless you", then everyone else was off the hook and noone else needed to say, "God bless you".

However, he was still hurt and offended. So please, if you are ever near my three year old when he sneezes, please say "God bless you."

Thanks.

weather...

Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 PM

4 posts, read 2,100 times
Default "bless you"

MOST "BLESSINGS" ARE ONLY "GUESSINGS".HE WHO HIMSELF IS NOT BLESSED CAN NOT WORK BLESSINGS UPON OTHERS.CAN ONLY PRETEND.gfr.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I explained that it was just the kind thing to do
If I could understand why it is the kind thing to do, then I wouldn't hesitate to say it. Can you explain why it is the kind thing to do? I'm not trying to be a pain in the *** or to ask rhetorical questions. I really want to know exactly why we teach our children that saying "bless you" after a sneeze is the right thing to do. If it's tradition for tradition's sake, then I can't see a use for it.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:14 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Honestly, I say thank you. I may not share their religious beliefs, but I know they are being kind. I guess I feel that "picking your battles" is important
I feel the same way. I know it's meant in kindness. I also use the term "Bless you" as a way of saying I like you and I wish all good things for you.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:16 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,109 times
Quote:
If I could understand why it is the kind thing to do, then I wouldn't hesitate to say it. Can you explain why it is the kind thing to do? I'm not trying to be a pain in the *** or to ask rhetorical questions. I really want to know exactly why we teach our children that saying "bless you" after a sneeze is the right thing to do. If it's tradition for tradition's sake, then I can't see a use for it.
Maybe it is just tradition for tradition's sake. I have no answer that will satisfy you. This is just one of those agree to disagree things. I don't see it as any more of a tradition than I do singing "happy birthday" to someone. Or saying "excuse me" when trying to pass. etc, etc, etc. I truly see it as a courtesy. If I knew that the person who had just sneezed was an atheist or that I would offend them in anyway by saying such a thing, I would certainly no say it. However, we don't all wear or religion on or sleeve. Or in my case, my neck.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe it is just tradition for tradition's sake. I have no answer that will satisfy you. This is just one of those agree to disagree things. I don't see it as any more of a tradition than I do singing "happy birthday" to someone. Or saying "excuse me" when trying to pass. etc, etc, etc. I truly see it as a courtesy. If I knew that the person who had just sneezed was an atheist or that I would offend them in anyway by saying such a thing, I would certainly no say it. However, we don't all wear or religion on or sleeve. Or in my case, my neck.
I think that this converstion has moved past the atheist vs. Christian view of the phrase "bless you" -- at least for me it has. This isn't about God - it's about the way people can cling to tradition for no good reason.
If it's tradition for tradition's sake - well, that's an answer, and I can accept that. I'll say "bless you" to someone who I know wants to hear it for whatever reason. But I won't teach my (one day) kids that they need to say something when people sneeze.
I wish I could say this without sounding like a nit-picker but: "bless you" is really different from "happy birthday" and "excuse me". Those things mean something. If nobody said "happy birthday" to me on my birthday or bumped into me and didn't say "excuse me" I would be irked. But a sneeze is not a special occasion or something to be worried about...
I just like for things to actually mean something - and I thought that there may be some meaning behind the tradition that I am missing.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:57 PM

14 posts, read 28,149 times
I agree it is definitely more habit and tradition than anything, saying "Bless you."
Some people really feel it is a polite thing, i.e. good manners, so a must do typr response!
Personally, I do not care either way. If they want to Bless me...whatever!May the force be with them! (I loved that post by the way{several pages back} I laughed!)

Old 08-17-2008, 09:50 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,042 times
I just say thank you.

Just because I don't share their particular belief system doesn't mean rudeness is necessary.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,211 times
Quote:
I think that this converstion has moved past the atheist vs. Christian view of the phrase "bless you" -- at least for me it has. This isn't about God - it's about the way people can cling to tradition for no good reason.
Because it is the correct etiquette. I don't mean that as a criticism of people who don't say it, but modern American etiquette expects it. I am using the Judith Martin(Miss Manners) definition of etiquette here as a generally societally agreed response, not a moral judgement.
Actually I mean a response is the current etiquette, obviously gesundheit works just as well as bless you.
Again etiquette can change there is no moral/ethical imperative to say it. It doesn't make one a good or bad person. It's kid of like saying "goodbye" is expected when you leave, who knows as the Simpsons predicted maybe someday it will be replaced by "smell you later" and then that would be the correct etiquette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism