Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I had to go back a ways to find what you were talking about. I found a quote from March 1, 2009 (post #30 on this tread) and it is the only one I have found on Magellan. I think the quote was also followed up with a single post on his religion that afternoon (post 31)
No, you didn't have to go back that far, all you had to do was look at post 112, which I quoted in my initial response to kb09's post where he quoted Maagellan. I'm honestly not sure how you didn't see that since you obviously saw my post. Perhaps you overlooked the quote that was in my post to which you replied?

Quote:
The statement is an accurate quote regardless of his listed religion. The ability to be anything other than a catholic in his time was punishable by death, and I suspect this statement would have been heresy in the hands of the inquisition also. It shows the strength of his belief in the church in a negative light, regardless of what you view his religious status as.

"The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church."
--Ferdinand Magellan
I never doubted the accuracy of the quote at all, so I don't know why you're bringing that up since it is not a point of disagreement at all.

The statement does not show his overall strength of belief of the church in a negative light, it is one single statement about one single fact over which he disagrees with the church. Disagreeing with one's church over a single fact (or even several facts), particularly when the fact/s is/are not essential to the essential doctrine of the faith is a very far cry from someone being an atheist. Taking into account that Magellan was not simply a catholic in name only to avoid charges of heresy, as you suggest, but was devout and actively sought to convert the "heathens" to Christianity by pro-actively proselytizing them.

So, my point stands that quoting Magellan as an atheist is inaccurate. Furthermore, it is misleading to insinuate that his disagreement with the church over a particular scientific matter makes him in any way a less faithful Christian, and that is what those who posted the Magellan quote did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
I'm not really into the whole label thing, so whatever label you put on yourself is fine by me. I really don't understand the gripe you have about me using a quote from Magellan. So what if he was a Christian! As I've said before, I don't care about the his religion, but rather the words he spoke in regards to the church. What are you getting so bent out of shape over? It's really not that serious.
I'm not "getting so bent out of shape over" anything. I simply pointed out that your quote of Magellan is misleading. This thread's topic is "101 Atheist Quotes". People then supplied other atheist quotes, in keeping with the theme of the thread. By quoting Magellan the implication (at least) is made that he was somewhat of an atheist, when in fact he was not an atheist. In fact, that quote does not indicate his overall feelings about the Church, but rather indicates his disagreement with the church over one particular non-essential (religiously) point, which is hardly something that invalidates any Christian's faith. It's misleading at best and dishonest at worst, and I pointed it out, and you are the one getting bent out of shape that I did so.

Quote:
Oh and another good quote:

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson was a Deist; he was agnostic, not atheist necessarily. But quoting TJ is at least somewhat appropriate in a thread of atheist quotes, whereas quoting Magellan is not.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 AM

659 posts, read 1,084,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'm not "getting so bent out of shape over" anything.
Quote:
That's not an atheist quote. That's a quote of a Christian who disagreed with the Church on the issue of the earth being flat. It's not as unusual as rabid Christian-hating atheists think that Christians will not agree 100% with "the Church". Magellan often wished to convert heathens to Christianity, which is hardly an atheist thing to do.
And that quoted post right there is not getting bent out of shape? Okay then, On to the next point.

Quote:
I simply pointed out that your quote of Magellan is misleading. This thread's topic is "101 Atheist Quotes". People then supplied other atheist quotes, in keeping with the theme of the thread.
Not really. Some people on this list are deist (such as you noted below) and some believe in some sort of God or have spirituality of some kind. I can't speak for any person other than myself, but, I know that I could care less about the actual person and his/her religion that spoke the words, it's more the words that have meaning toward me. It doesn't matter what their religion is (or lack thereof), I only care about what they said.

Quote:
By quoting Magellan the implication (at least) is made that he was somewhat of an atheist, when in fact he was not an atheist.
I think anyone who has picked up a history book knows quite clearly he wasn't an atheist.

Quote:
In fact, that quote does not indicate his overall feelings about the Church, but rather indicates his disagreement with the church over one particular non-essential (religiously) point, which is hardly something that invalidates any Christian's faith.
And...your point? Still, the meaning of the quote does not change.

Quote:
It's misleading at best and dishonest at worst, and I pointed it out, and you are the one getting bent out of shape that I did so.
I'm not really bent out of shape over anything, I'm just (kind of) curious why you insist on repeating the fact that he was a Christian as if the meaning of his words are supposed to change. They still mean the same thing to me.

Quote:
Thomas Jefferson was a Deist; he was agnostic, not atheist necessarily. But quoting TJ is at least somewhat appropriate in a thread of atheist quotes, whereas quoting Magellan is not.
I know what he was, thanks for enlightening me on absolutely nothing though. Your concern was appreciated.

Found this funny one too:

"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and state. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."
George Carlin

Old 06-13-2009, 08:07 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,064 times
The main problem with the Magellan quote is that there's no evidence he ever said it. In fact, everyone knew the earth was round by Megellan's time.

I think this quote was debunked.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
No, that's not getting "bent out of shape". I'm sticking with the facts and reason. YOU are bent out of shape, you're defending your indefensible position with no rationality and pure emotion.
I think you may need to go back and read my post. I've been really calm while writing my post and believe I haven't been throwing around any really strong words. Just calm down for a second and take a breather kay? Really, it's not that serious.

Quote:
On what list? Do you mean on this thread?

That's what I meant, sorry. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
If people are quoting deists on this thread then they are as ridiculous as you are for quoting a Christian, since the title of the thread is "101 Atheist Quotes". Not Deist quotes, not non-Christian quotes, not anti-church quotes, not anti-spirituality quotes, not anti-religion quotes, but ATHEIST quotes. In other words, quotes by ATHEISTS. Capiche? Or no?
I mean, really, what does it matter? It's their quotes that hold meaning, not their religion. Your really bent out of shape on these labels man, it's not that serious! Ya just gotta lighten up sometimes, it'll be okay.

Quote:
So then why quote him in a thread about ATHEIST quotes???
Because I like his quote and think it's relevant to the thread.

Quote:
And moreover, why do you get bent out of shape over the fact that I'm pointing out that you are quoting a Christian on a thread about Atheist (not anti-church) quotes??? I'm sure it's because you're emotional and not rational.
As I said before, not really bent out of shape over anything; life is too short to worry over the little things!

But, really, I'm not emotional. I rarely get emotional when I'm debating over a subject with a person I don't even know. It's not worth it.

Quote:
Anyway, not too many atheists pick up books other than science books, since science is their quasi-religion.
Why with the insults? It's really not needed. BCJ, just chill man, it's going to be okay.

Quote:
The meaning of the quote is that Magellan did not agree with the church on one particular fact. That does not constitute the quote being an "atheist" quote. Anti-Church, MAYBE, and that's a stretch, since it's a disagreement on one single point. But atheist? Not even a little bit. Not even close. Fail. Thanks for playing, better luck next time.
That's completely subjective, as is what the quote means to me. People interpret things different ways, and I interpreted it to mean a voice speaking out against the church for what he knows in spite of what they want him to believe. It's pretty cut and dry.

Quote:
No, my point is that he was a Christian, the quote of his that you provide is not an atheist quote in any way, and therefore your quoting him in this thread is inappropriate at least and is also misleading.
BCJ, your so into labels but it doesn't matter! It's not impossible for an atheist to hold meaning for words spoken by a Christian! Broaden your horizons!

Quote:
Well, considering you either don't know that Magellan was a devout Christian or that this thread is about "atheist quotes" (or you knew that but couldn't understand that the Magellan quote you gave is not "atheist"), it's not a far stretch to figure you probably don't realize that TJ was a deist.
I really don't get why you have to keep throwing insults out there. That's a sign that your getting a little "bent" ya know! It's okay man, it's just a quote.

Quote:
His quote was not atheist either, I was going easy on you. TJ's quote was anti-Christian, but not at all atheist. So my concern is irrelevant, you still don't get it.
They're all labels man! Atheist quote, Christian quote...they're just labels put on some words. It's really not too big of a deal, but, hey, since I see your pretty big into those labels, I'll just let you continue down on your way. Your saying over and over again "it's not an atheist quote!" doesn't change the meaning of the words for me in the least, so it's falling upon death ears. Just live life! No need to get caught up on the labels!

I hope I don't sound or come off as patronizing to you either. I'm just in a really good mood and can't help to show it through my writing. Remember, don't take it too serious, it's not worth the worry!

And another quote:

"I credit that eight years of grammar school with nourishing me in a direction where I could trust myself and trust my instincts. They gave me the tools to reject my faith. They taught me to question and think for myself and to believe in my instincts to such an extent that I just said, 'This is a wonderful fairy tale they have going here, but it's not for me."
George Carlin

Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Boiler plate statement to prevent problems based on religious status:
Just to prevent confusion, this person may have been Atheist, Agnostic, Deist, or even at some point in his life religious. This statement reflects a period when his view was philosophical in the anti-religious category, and thus is why I posted this quote here in the Atheist quote thread. I am not stating he is religious, or non religious just his statement is a solid example of the anti religious movement of his time period.
Albert Einstein
"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism."

Old 06-14-2009, 09:59 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times
Quote:
Boiler plate statement to prevent problems based on religious status:
Just to prevent confusion, this person may have been Atheist, Agnostic, Deist, or even at some point in his life religious. This statement reflects a period when his view was philosophical in the anti-religious category, and thus is why I posted this quote here in the Atheist quote thread. I am not stating he is religious, or non religious just his statement is a solid example of the anti religious movement of his time period.
Albert Einstein
"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism."

hey, i would just love to know to whom and on what occasion or in which context einstein said this.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I think you may need to go back and read my post. I've been really calm while writing my post and believe I haven't been throwing around any really strong words. Just calm down for a second and take a breather kay? Really, it's not that serious.
I am calm, and I don't appreciate you trying to mischaracterize me as getting bent out of shape. When I go back and re-read your post, I see you doing exactly that rather than offer a rational response. Yes, I understand you're not "into labels" or whatever, but the topic of this thread relies on the label "atheist", and the quote you provided doesn't fit it, whether you're "into labels" or not.

Quote:

That's what I meant, sorry. Thanks for pointing it out.
You're welcome for the correction.

Quote:
I mean, really, what does it matter? It's their quotes that hold meaning, not their religion. Your really bent out of shape on these labels man, it's not that serious! Ya just gotta lighten up sometimes, it'll be okay.
It matters as to the context of the thread and the fact that it doesn't fit. I simply pointed it out. Here, again, you are attacking me by saying I'm "bent out of shape", but I suppose ad homs are all you have left. Yes, it's not that serious, but your insinuation that because I'm discussing it at all means that I'm "getting bent out of shape" and taking it too seriously is an unfair and inaccurate accusation. And that is precisely what leads me to believe that you are emotional over this, because you are projecting your own emotions onto me.

Quote:
Because I like his quote and think it's relevant to the thread.
OK, and I don't think it's relevant, and I felt it was relevant to the thread to point out that quoting a Christian like Ferdinand Magellan on a thread about "Atheist Quotes" is misplaced and even misleading.

Quote:
As I said before, not really bent out of shape over anything; life is too short to worry over the little things!
Riiiight...

Quote:
But, really, I'm not emotional. I rarely get emotional when I'm debating over a subject with a person I don't even know. It's not worth it.
Riiiight...

Quote:
Why with the insults? It's really not needed. BCJ, just chill man, it's going to be okay.
Um, what insults? lol... I made no insults, now you're just pulling things out of thin air! I realize you don't agree with me or like what I'm saying, but to claim I'm making "insults" is yet another mischaracterization.

Quote:
That's completely subjective, as is what the quote means to me. People interpret things different ways, and I interpreted it to mean a voice speaking out against the church for what he knows in spite of what they want him to believe. It's pretty cut and dry.
No, I'm not being subjective, I'm being objective. The thread is about "Atheist Quotes". Ferdinand Magellan was a devout Christian. Logic would dictate that a quote by a Christian is not a quote by an atheist.

To give an example... If a thread was about "American Quotes", and I quoted Charles De Gaulle as having said, "Greatness is a road leading towards the unknown," then my quote would not fit the thread since De Gaulle was a Frenchman and never was an American. I might think that his quote can be applied to the USA, and that it sounds American, or whatever else I want to think, but the quote is a French quote by a Frenchman and would not belong in a thread called "American Quotes". I could try to justify it with my opinion, but then that would be subjective. The person who points out that the quote is not American would be objective.

Likewise, I'm being objective in pointing out that Magellan, a Christian, ought not be quoted in a thread about "Atheist Quotes". If you want to give your opinion that it should, which you have done, then recognize at least that your opinion is subjective. That's fine, but let's call things for what they are; don't mischaracterize me because I'm right.

Quote:
BCJ, your so into labels but it doesn't matter! It's not impossible for an atheist to hold meaning for words spoken by a Christian! Broaden your horizons!
I'm not so much into labels as I am into sticking to definitions a little more accurately. I don't deny that "it's not impossible for an atheist to hold meaning for words spoken by a Christian", but I do deny that it makes a Christian's quote an "atheist quote".

Quote:
I really don't get why you have to keep throwing insults out there. That's a sign that your getting a little "bent" ya know! It's okay man, it's just a quote.
I don't know why you keep accusing me of "throwing insults out there" when I have done no such thing. NOW I'm getting a little bent about you lying like that.

Quote:
They're all labels man! Atheist quote, Christian quote...they're just labels put on some words. It's really not too big of a deal, but, hey, since I see your pretty big into those labels, I'll just let you continue down on your way. Your saying over and over again "it's not an atheist quote!" doesn't change the meaning of the words for me in the least, so it's falling upon death ears. Just live life! No need to get caught up on the labels!
So if you order a garden salad in a restaurant you don't mind if they brought you a bowl of dog feces salad, right? Because "garden" is just a label, man! It's just a label put on some words. It's not that big a deal. Pay for the dog feces salad and chow down, don't get so hung up over the label! Just live life! No need to get caught up on the labels! lol

Quote:
I hope I don't sound or come off as patronizing to you either. I'm just in a really good mood and can't help to show it through my writing. Remember, don't take it too serious, it's not worth the worry!
Well, you do come off as insulting, the way you are making empty accusations towards me. And if it were really "not worth the worry" you wouldn't have replied; apparently it was "worth the worry" enough for you to reply!

By the way, your Magellan quote isn't a real one; he never said anything like it.

Quote:
And another quote:

"I credit that eight years of grammar school with nourishing me in a direction where I could trust myself and trust my instincts. They gave me the tools to reject my faith. They taught me to question and think for myself and to believe in my instincts to such an extent that I just said, 'This is a wonderful fairy tale they have going here, but it's not for me."
George Carlin
Here's an atheist quote for YOU

"Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed."
- Joseph Stalin

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 06-15-2009 at 04:20 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I am calm, and I don't appreciate you trying to mischaracterize me as getting bent out of shape.
I'm not trying to mischaracterize you on anything BCJ, but, from reading your post (which I've read, and reread) it appears to me that you are quite "bent" about the topic at hand.

Quote:
When I go back and re-read your post, I see you doing exactly that rather than offer a rational response.
Not really. I've read and reread my post also and it seems to me as if I was just explaining my position on the topic. I'm not throwing around any really strong or negative words, I'm just stating what I think his quote means.

Quote:
Yes, I understand you're not "into labels" or whatever, but the topic of this thread relies on the label "atheist", and the quote you provided doesn't fit it, whether you're "into labels" or not.
I don't think it's so much about the people who wrote or said the quote, I think it's more about the quote itself. But, people interpret and see things different ways, so to you it might be more about the person than the words. Difference in perspectives I guess.

Quote:
You're welcome for the correction.
Much appreciated.

Quote:
It matters as to the context of the thread and the fact that it doesn't fit.
That's simply your opinion. My opinion is that it does fit.

Quote:
I simply pointed it out. Here, again, you are attacking me by saying I'm "bent out of shape", but I suppose ad homs are all you have left.
I'm not attacking you. I'm sorry if you see it that way.

Quote:
Yes, it's not that serious, but your insinuation that because I'm discussing it at all means that I'm "getting bent out of shape" and taking it too seriously is an unfair and inaccurate accusation.
It's not an accusation, it's my perspective on your words. From your previous post, it appears to me as if quoting a Christian in an Atheist thread struck a chord somewhere. It's my opinion that you are getting "bent out of shape" just as it's your opinion that I'm making an accusation.

Quote:
And that is precisely what leads me to believe that you are emotional over this, because you are projecting your own emotions onto me.
Not really. I'm kind of indifferent about the whole thing; As I've said before, I rarely get emotional when debating a topic with someone I don't know, it's not worth it. My curiosity is just peaked about it and I find your perspective on this interesting. If it's your opinion that I'm emotional over this then, oh well. Nothing I say will change what you believe.

Quote:
OK, and I don't think it's relevant, and I felt it was relevant to the thread to point out that quoting a Christian like Ferdinand Magellan on a thread about "Atheist Quotes" is misplaced and even misleading.
Okay. That's just a difference of opinions. You don't think it's releveant, I do. Agree to disagree.

Quote:
Riiiight...

Riiiight...

Quote:
Um, what insults?
[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;9307551Anyway, not too many atheists pick up books other than science books, since science is their quasi-religion.[/quote]

That, my good friend, is an insult. If I were to say the same thing about Christians, you would be calling foul. It's derogatory, doesn't add to the discussion, and is totally uncalled for.

[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;9307551No, I'm not being subjective, I'm being objective.[/quote]

No, you are not. You are using your subjective thinking to tell me what the quote is "supposed" to mean. Which means, what you are saying is basically your opinion.

[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;9307551The thread is about "Atheist Quotes". Ferdinand Magellan was a devout Christian. Logic would dictate that a quote by a Christian is not a quote by an atheist.[/quote]

Okay, and that's fine. But, as I've said before, it's all a matter of perspective. You believe that the person who says the words is more important than the words, and I believe the opposite. I could easily say that through using logic, it doesn't matter what the religion of the person is, because the focus is on the quote, not the person. Therefore, a quote from a Christian can rightly so belong in the Atheist Quotes thread.

[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;9307551To give an example... If a thread was about "American Quotes", and I quoted Charles De Gaulle as having said, "Greatness is a road leading towards the unknown," then my quote would not fit the thread since De Gaulle was a Frenchman and never was an American.[/quote]

And I could switch that around and say it doesn't matter if De Gaulle was American or not, as the words can pertain to the American Dream, something that is very American. Therefore, the person who spoke it doesn't matter but the words do.

[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;9307551I might think that his quote can be applied to the USA, and that it sounds American, or whatever else I want to think, but the quote is a French quote by a Frenchman and would not belong in a thread called "American Quotes".[/quote]

Mmm, I don't think so. I think you'd have a stronger point if emphasis was placed on whether the person had to be American or not. Like say, the thread was "American Quotes by American People" (or similarly, Atheist Quotes by Atheist people), then I could better understand your point. But, it doesn't say that, it simply says American (Atheist) quotes. Therefore, in my opinion, the quote doesn't necessarily have to be by someone who is an American. Again, the words take precedence over the speaker.

[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;9307551I could try to justify it with my opinion, but then that would be subjective.[/quote]

Lol, you're already using your own opinion on the subject at hand.

[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;9307551The person who points out that the quote is not American would be objective.[/quote]

Mmm, I see your point, but it's moot unless someone is making the claim that De Gaulle was an American. If that claim is not made, then you have no ground to stand on.

[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;9307551 Likewise, I'm being objective in pointing out that Magellan, a Christian, ought not be quoted in a thread about "Atheist Quotes".[/quote]

Ahh see, you're using personal opinion! "Ought not" is what you think, not what is. You believe that it doesn't belong. That's subjective by your very own words.

[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;9307551If you want to give your opinion that it should, which you have done, then recognize at least that your opinion is subjective.[/quote]

That's what I did. I think it goes without saying that pretty much everything posted on various threads on this forum are indeed subjective; the same applies to you. Once the words should, should not, ought, ought not, etc., is posted, you are stating your opinion. That's what you have been doing all along. You believe the quote ought not to be in this thread, I believe the opposite. Different perspectives, different opinions.

[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;9307551That's fine, but let's call things for what they are; don't mischaracterize me because I'm right.[/quote]

I'm not trying to mischaracterize you, and once again I apologize if you feel that way. However, it is of your opinion that you are right. Saying you are doesn't make it so.

[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;9307551I'm not so much into labels as I am into sticking to definitions a little more accurately.[/quote]

Christian quote and Atheist quote are indeed labels my friend. Words cannot be Christian or Atheist. They can be spoken by one, but they cannot be one. That's why I say they are labels.

[quote=BergenCountyJohnny;9307551I don't deny that "it's not impossible for an atheist to hold meaning for words spoken by a Christian", but I do deny that it makes a Christian's quote an "atheist quote".[/quote]

I'm not saying the quote is "Atheist" (whatever that may mean). I simply think they show defiance against the church and against popular belief. If you consider that "Atheist" then yes, it is indeed an "Atheist" quote.

Quote:
I don't know why you keep accusing me of "throwing insults out there" when I have done no such thing. NOW I'm getting a little bent about you lying like that.
Quote:
Well, considering you either don't know that Magellan was a devout Christian or that this thread is about "atheist quotes" (or you knew that but couldn't understand that the Magellan quote you gave is not "atheist"), it's not a far stretch to figure you probably don't realize that TJ was a deist.
Attacking one's intelligence is considered an insult my friend. I'm not lying, I see no need to. It is of my opinion that you were insulting me. If you weren't, there would be no need for you to have added that little snippet into your previous post. It doesn't add to the discussion and in fact hinders it.

Quote:
So if you order a garden salad in a restaurant you don't mind if they brought you a bowl of dog feces salad, right? Because "garden" is just a label, man! It's just a label put on some words. It's not that big a deal. Pay for the dog feces salad and chow down, don't get so hung up over the label! Just live life! No need to get caught up on the labels! lol
Straw man tactics I see? I really don't see how this adds to the discussion at hand.

Quote:
Well, you do come off as insulting, the way you are making empty accusations towards me.
If you feel that way, then there's nothing I can really do about it. I've only made rebuttals to the things you have posted and haven't accused you of anything.

Quote:
And if it were really "not worth the worry" you wouldn't have replied; apparently it wass "worth the worry" enough for you to reply!
Eh, I'm a glutton I guess. Things like this interest me and your answers get more interesting each time you reply back.

Quote:
By the way, your Magellan quote isn't a real one; he never said anything like it.
Okay, and that's fine by me. The words still mean the same to me. I guess I'll have to look for the person who really said it.

Quote:
Here's an atheist quote for YOU

"Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed."
- Joseph Stalin
Good one! I like this one too:

"The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do."
Joseph Stalin

But, I believe something like this one is a little more on topic:

"If I am right, then <religious fundamentalists> will not go to Heaven, because there is no Heaven. If they are right, then they will not go to Heaven, because they are hypocrites."
Issac Asimov

Old 07-11-2009, 05:19 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
This was on another forum, and the writer is unknown to me, but it was so good I thought the rest of you might want to read it. Sometimes it takes the illogical to be listed to see past to the logical.

“Over a billion people claim to believe that a 2000 year old cosmic, Jewish zombie, born of a virgin mother; will offer you eternal life if you symbolically eat his flesh, drink his blood and telepathically accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force, present on all humans because a woman who was made from the rib of a man, who was constructed of dust, was convinced by a talking snake, to eat a cursed apple, from a magical tree growing in a mystical garden a little while after the universe was created around 6000 years ago.”
From Unknown source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism