Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Well if you include the viewpoint of a child, then I was once a devout Christian. I seriously believed in Jesus et al and at the risk of insulting some of the Christians who post here I feel that, as a little kid, I had a closer relationship with God than a lot of adult Christians do. However, I was not nearly as sophisticated in...(shortened by me to make post easier)
Thank you! Your response pretty much summed up where I am and how I've been feeling. Very, very similar.

As far as Judaism, it doesn't fascinate me moreso than other world religions/philsophies, but I do have a love of Israeli (not necessarily Jewish) culture, history, modern culture, etc.

Last edited by Lior Arel; 08-26-2008 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 01:12 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,434 times
You should check out Pastafarianism. Its the only religion with a guarantee. Try it for 30 days and if you not completely satisfied then most likely your old deity will take you back.

Just kidding, good luck with your search.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:01 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
You should check out Pastafarianism. Its the only religion with a guarantee. Try it for 30 days and if you not completely satisfied then most likely your old deity will take you back.

Just kidding, good luck with your search.
Hmm..but can you be Pastafarianist and still a Garlician.. I'd hate to give up my Garlicism if it doesn't jive with Pastafarianism.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:05 AM

Heh, I'm quite familiar with FSM. R-Amen

Actually, I went to a wedding this weekend and it was in one of those Southern Nondenom churches. After a 1/2 hour of listening to the minister with his cheesy inflections going on about "Jesus' Blood" it pretty much sealed the fate of my religious beliefs.

Guess I'm fully Agnostic now (not quite Athiest, I still feel like there's something).

Old 09-02-2008, 12:03 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times
You might want to check out Frisbatarianism, the core of their belief is, "when you die, your soul goes upon the roof and you can't get it down." LOL

Old 09-04-2008, 06:08 PM

65 posts, read 181,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Well, I grew up as the son of Minister in the Nazerene Church and then the Church of God. When I became older, my parents told me to 'look around' at different churches and choose whatever path was right with me. After being initially drawn to the Catholic church, I finally found my way to the Episcopal church. Well, fast forward a bunch of years and over the past couple my faith has started to wane bigtime. I finally figured I should drag out my bible this weekend as when I was younger reading the scriptures reignited the flames of my belief. So, with hope in my heart I pulled open my favorite bible (a leather bound I inherited from my much loved grandmother) and begin to read.

I found it to be a load of clap-trap I mean, seriously. As metaphors some of it is rather beautiful with good lessons to be learned, but most of it struck me (for the first time in my life) as pre-scientific explanations of the world and also of a desire to control a population.

Okay, if anyone actually read this whole post, I posted it because as I'm losing faith, I'd like to know what atheists who used to be devout have found to replace their religion. I'm thinking of converting to Judaism (reform) as it seems more about a philsophy than actually believeing this stuff; though the Christian remnants in me recoil a little at the idea of becoming a *gasp* JEW!
If you are losing faith? why ask advise from unbelievers? Do you want to continue to lose faith?

Reading the Bible as a book will get you some nice storys and that's it. You need to pray honestly and openly to Jesus that he will live in you and that the Holy spirit will open up the words from the Bible so that you will be mentally and spiritually satisfied.

Oh and believing the universe is billions of years old will help you completely lose your faith. Comprimise one part of God's written word... you will eventually comprimise the entire Bible. The universe is only a couple of thousands of years old.

Oh and fossils were created by Noah's Global flood which cause mountains to rise and the ocean bed to fall into deep holes (some of which can go down to 11km!). Although it rained for 40 days and nights, Noah's Flood lasted approx. 5 months before the water started to drop i.e. the earth's crust was reforming under a tremedous mass of water.

Dinosaurs have only been called dinosaurs since 1842. Before that year they were called Dragons. (even though folk tales say they breathed fire at times... they were exaggerating to make the terrible lizards sound worse than they were!) And in Book of Job 40:15-24
15 Behold now the behemoth that I have made with you; he eats grass like cattle.
16 Behold now his strength is in his loins and his power is in the navel of his belly.
17 His tail hardens like a cedar; the sinews of his testicles are knit together.
18 His limbs are as strong as copper, his bones as a load of iron.
19 His is the first of God's ways; [only] his Maker can draw His sword [against him].
20 For the mountains bear food for him, and all the beasts of the field play there.
21 Does he lie under the shadows, in the covert of the reeds and the swamp?
22 Do the shadows cover him as his shadow? Do the willows of the brook surround him?
23 Behold, he plunders the river, and [he] does not harden; he trusts that he will draw the Jordan into his mouth.
24 With His eyes He will take him; with snares He will puncture his nostrils.

Tail of a cedar isn't an Elephant... its a dinosaur.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:13 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
Actually that story isn't of a Dinosaur or an elephant....it refers to the hippo. Ask a Rabbi!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 PM

65 posts, read 181,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Heh, I'm quite familiar with FSM. R-Amen

Actually, I went to a wedding this weekend and it was in one of those Southern Nondenom churches. After a 1/2 hour of listening to the minister with his cheesy inflections going on about "Jesus' Blood" it pretty much sealed the fate of my religious beliefs.

Guess I'm fully Agnostic now (not quite Athiest, I still feel like there's something).

When you get cut open next time.. pause and take a look at the blood you are losing.

Jesus lost a lot of blood but still keep pushing himself to be nailed on the cross... he carried a extremely heavy beam on his back after being lashed so badly that his organs and ribs were showing .

I honestly can say i am not brave and dedicated enough to go through that torture... especially willingly!.

Mate if you wanna just go around shopping for religion... You will forever be unhappy inside! You need to seek out Jesus for no one elses sake except you own. You need to seek out Jesus and strive for a personal relationship with him. Going to church and looking like a good person doesn't make you a Christian... a perfectionist but not a Christian. What it comes down to is who you are with Jesus. Do you know him personally? do you talk with him on a daily basis?

There are 100 steps between you and Jesus. You must take the first step towards Jesus, then Jesus will take all the other 99 steps towards you.
God requires faith from his children, and thats what you must give him. faith!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:25 AM

1. My post was directed at Athiests regarding their experiences, etc. I never said I wanted to retain a faith.

2. The rules of this forum state "no proselythizing (sp?)" so you should cease and desist.

3. Your hokey answer is exactly part of what made me look at religion in general through different eyes and see how silly it is, IMO.

4. As with most christians, I find your posts condesending, uninformed, and full of hyperbole. You seem to read into posts what you are hoping to read to fulfill your egocentric desire to "save" people since you "know the way". Do your supposed faith a favor and stop posting as I think you'll turn more people away with such claptrap than draw them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism