Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:42 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times

Advertisements

Well, I grew up as the son of Minister in the Nazerene Church and then the Church of God. When I became older, my parents told me to 'look around' at different churches and choose whatever path was right with me. After being initially drawn to the Catholic church, I finally found my way to the Episcopal church. Well, fast forward a bunch of years and over the past couple my faith has started to wane bigtime. I finally figured I should drag out my bible this weekend as when I was younger reading the scriptures reignited the flames of my belief. So, with hope in my heart I pulled open my favorite bible (a leather bound I inherited from my much loved grandmother) and begin to read.

I found it to be a load of clap-trap I mean, seriously. As metaphors some of it is rather beautiful with good lessons to be learned, but most of it struck me (for the first time in my life) as pre-scientific explanations of the world and also of a desire to control a population.

Okay, if anyone actually read this whole post, I posted it because as I'm losing faith, I'd like to know what atheists who used to be devout have found to replace their religion. I'm thinking of converting to Judaism (reform) as it seems more about a philsophy than actually believeing this stuff; though the Christian remnants in me recoil a little at the idea of becoming a *gasp* JEW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 07:57 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Well, I grew up as the son of Minister in the Nazerene Church and then the Church of God. When I became older, my parents told me to 'look around' at different churches and choose whatever path was right with me. After being initially drawn to the Catholic church, I finally found my way to the Episcopal church. Well, fast forward a bunch of years and over the past couple my faith has started to wane bigtime. I finally figured I should drag out my bible this weekend as when I was younger reading the scriptures reignited the flames of my belief. So, with hope in my heart I pulled open my favorite bible (a leather bound I inherited from my much loved grandmother) and begin to read.

I found it to be a load of clap-trap I mean, seriously. As metaphors some of it is rather beautiful with good lessons to be learned, but most of it struck me (for the first time in my life) as pre-scientific explanations of the world and also of a desire to control a population.

Okay, if anyone actually read this whole post, I posted it because as I'm losing faith, I'd like to know what atheists who used to be devout have found to replace their religion. I'm thinking of converting to Judaism (reform) as it seems more about a philsophy than actually believeing this stuff; though the Christian remnants in me recoil a little at the idea of becoming a *gasp* JEW!
I can't help you as far as being prior devout. I'd be the wrong guy to ask. As far as becoming a reformed Jew, I think that decision is entirely up to you but I must ask why it is you are searching for a label of declaration for a denominational style of belief? If you're looking to avoid the "clap-trappish" style of religious beliefs but feel that you can't forgo some sort of spiritual (in the religious sense) undertaking than might I suggest Buddhism? That's just a thought. All in all, it's really up to you as the person. I am an Atheist and I am comfortable with it and calling myself as such. But, if you're just looking to don the cape and hat of a religion just to avoid controversy in your life, I suspect you may find it more challenging to claim Judaism than Buddhism once you become familiar with the exhaustive Talmudic laws.

Of course, you should do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:16 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
Blink...blink.

Atheism isn't losing faith in Christianity.. Atheists don't believe in any gods. If we did, we wouldn't be atheists.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:19 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
Quote:

I would suggest you go to (http://www.atheists.org/comingout/othercloset.html) and read the article. You have reached a point where education and logic has made you a freethinker. Once you have reached this point it would be hard to return to a myth based thought process. I am not sure what attracts you to the Reform Jewish faith. I remember looking at them when I rejected the New Testament as Myth. I than looked to the Jewish writings and Old Testament, but still found only more myths.
I loved the closeness of the Jewish culture, but in truth when I rejected religion I did not lose the culture or the family and friends, I just traveled a path they did not, and it was Ok with them and good for me.
I walked away with the understanding that one myth is no better than the next myth. They are great reading with lots of myth based values to learn from, but limiting in their ability to let you learn the truth.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:25 AM

I guess I should clarify that I'm more agnostic at this point, not athiest (though in short bursts..lol). I am aware that atheism is lack of belief in any god (not just the Christian one). I was just curious about what non-thiestic philsophy systems, etc. might be popular with former believers.

The Jewish comment was more of a "one-off" thing, I'm not really considering it, but FYI reform Judiasm doesn't follow the dietitic laws or much of the ceremonial stuff. If anything it's an abstract practice of the historical worship.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:37 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
One can be a Diest (belief in A god) without being of a particular religion. I think that's what I am. I know there is something, some source of "all of this" but gave up the dogma of religions some years ago. You might look at the dharmic beliefs, they are very spiritual without being religious or tied to dogma. Probably the best route is simply to let yourself search, read, ask questions...go towards what makes you most comfortable and which seems most truthful to you. If you are patient and open minded, the Universe will unfold itself to you one step at a time.

Good luck & Namaste!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
One can be a Diest (belief in A god) without being of a particular religion. I think that's what I am. I know there is something, some source of "all of this" but gave up the dogma of religions some years ago. You might look at the dharmic beliefs, they are very spiritual without being religious or tied to dogma. Probably the best route is simply to let yourself search, read, ask questions...go towards what makes you most comfortable and which seems most truthful to you. If you are patient and open minded, the Universe will unfold itself to you one step at a time.

Good luck & Namaste!
Thanks. I guess it's just hard to let go of a belief that one has held since childhood no matter how ridiculous one starts to find such a belief. I do feel that there is "something" but just what that is I don't know - whether it be an amorphous force, a sentient being or beings, or just our own self awareness.

I am quite familiar with much of Eastern religion/philosophy and I find alot of it to be, for lack of a better term, really cool.

Thank you all for your responses. So strange to re-examine one's faith and come up not just empty, but utterly amused at one's own fallacy in subscribing to such!

Quote:
But, if you're just looking to don the cape and hat of a religion just to avoid controversy in your life
Heh, I'm an out gay man who was previously married with two children. I gave up trying to avoid controversy many years ago

Old 08-25-2008, 11:21 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
Congrats to you, Angel. May life be as wonderful for you and you hope it will be!

Old 08-25-2008, 03:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Angel and the Dolphin wrote:
Quote:
I guess I should clarify that I'm more agnostic at this point, not athiest (though in short bursts..lol).
Well at least you're making progress in right direction. I was never religious so I haven't had to think in terms of replacing it with something else. I think I can understand how you might be feeling though if it had been a major influence and now you're gradually moving away from it. It's quite possible if you do end up seeing yourself as an athiest at some point you will have gone through a process in which you really don't feel the need to look for something to replace religion. I know from my own perspective that I feel completely comfortable with my atheism and I've developed a kind of attitude that I have to be responsible for my own behavior and that I have morals like anyone else.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:27 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
I'd like to know what atheists who used to be devout have found to replace their religion. I'm thinking of converting to Judaism (reform) as it seems more about a philsophy than actually believeing this stuff; though the Christian remnants in me recoil a little at the idea of becoming a *gasp* JEW!
Well if you include the viewpoint of a child, then I was once a devout Christian. I seriously believed in Jesus et al and at the risk of insulting some of the Christians who post here I feel that, as a little kid, I had a closer relationship with God than a lot of adult Christians do. However, I was not nearly as sophisticated in my beliefs as many Christians are because as soon as I hit puberty I started questioning my religion and it didn't hold up. I have come to realize that I did not actually ever have faith in my religion. Rather, it was just something I believed because the trusted authority figures in my life presented it to me as real.
Anyway, to the point: I have to admit that I have always searched for something to replace the religion - I'm just a religious person, I guess, but I also don't believe that any religions are true. I don't believe in any gods and I am comfortable with that because I am convinced that gods are not reality. So, what's a religious person like me to do, then? Well I do a lot of reading about religions and philosophies and that's pretty much the extent of my "spiritual life". The good result is that I have become pretty well-read about the stuff and, while none of it sticks, my mind becomes a melting pot of human thoughts about life's big questions and I feel like I get glimpses of true reality which means that I get to know myself, my surroundings, and how to deal with life. Another result is that more and more BS is revealed the more you learn about other peoples philosophies and thoughts. Right now I am enjoying learning about Zen Buddhism and I can only tolerate philosophies that trust the user to make their own way and their own decisions. No religion does that. Most philosophies don't, either.
Interestingly, I also have a bit of a fascination with Judaism. But I mostly like the orthodox types so there's no way I would consider that for myself.
Good luck searching. The search will probably be the best part, anyway, no matter what you decide to do or not do about religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism