Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 03:42 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by cncracer Being supreme is an illusion, I don't think God would fall for that.

Besides how can you not believe in yourself?
I mean right now I'm alive whether I believe this or not so what I believe doesn't really matter.
The truth is whether you believe the truth or not is irrelevant which means that God is whether you believe in Him or not.

Besidez just because you are an atheist doesn’t mean that everyone else should be an atheist too, which btw is nothing different from what most theists believe.
I agree. God knowing he was a god, would believe that there was one. He may not believe there are other gods. In a way this is a rhetorical trick -like 'everyone is an atheist' That is the religious do not believe in other religions. They do of course believe in their own.(1)

(1) Foopnote time. The point is that, if they understand the basis for their rejection of religion, they may understand who the other theists do not believe in theirs. And thus, why atheists do not believe in any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 02:00 AM

1 posts, read 614 times
Y'all are not seeing the [mod] The Administrator has forbidden proselytizing in this forum. [url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/atheism-agnosticism/352756-no-proselytizing-sub-forum.html[/url] . . . . . [/mod] meaning of good. [mod] More proselytizing [/mod] Yeah of course [mod] More proselytizing [/mod] that lasts for eternity! I know it can be kind of mind- blowing that [mod] More proselytizing [/mod] we are still great humans for now guys! It's the marvelous [mod] More proselytizing [/mod] We will eventually [mod] More proselytizing [/mod] Its just a test for [mod] More proselytizing [/mod] That's also why [mod] More proselytizing [/mod] You know don't [mod] More proselytizing [/mod]

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-15-2015 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: proselytizing is forbidden in the Atheism & Agnosticism forum.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:59 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Welcome to the forum hecthor but let me tell you that you've started out by breaking one of the rules by 'preaching' in this section.
I suggest you check the stickies at the top of each section as well as the information in the Administration Zone before you wonder why your posts have disappeared.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:32 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Apparently, God is an atheist
http://www.strongatheism.net/library...ivine_atheism/

In a debate on a non R&P forum we have been discussing the issue of god being an atheist. It is based on the attached link. I thought it might be fun to get input from this forum.

The question which started the debate is, “if we are to answer that God believes in no higher authority, only in himself; then we may say that all self-aware beings must of necessity believe in themselves”.

The other effect of this answer is interesting. “If we accept then that God doesn’t have a belief in a being higher than himself, we must conclude that God is without belief in a supreme being and is therefore an atheist.”

Questions which have come from the debate are
1- If god is an atheist should theist strive to become atheist also?
2- If god is an atheist why would he need humanity to believe in him?
3- If we are all supposed to try to be like God, and all God believes in is himself and everything less powerful than himself, then why shouldn't we strive to believe in the same thing?
yes, it would be considered atheist. By definition that is. But most atheist and theist I know seem have parts of it right and parts of it wrong.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:34 AM

yes, it would be considered atheist. By human definition that is. The rest of your post is religious faith statements that would have to be cross examined.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:35 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Well since this zombie thread from 18 months ago is alive again, I'll bite. For all I know, I already did, and I've forgotten, but what the heck.

A supreme being would by definition not believe in a higher being than itself. But that is not the same thing as an atheist. Atheists do not claim to be a supreme being and would as readily as any other mere mortal, recognize a being higher than themselves -- if only such a being would actually present itself. But aside from that, as an atheist, I recognize the legitimately constituted authority of others over me -- the President, the mayor, policemen, etc.

Atheists do not believe in any gods. A god would have to not believe in its own existence in order to fit that definition.

Atheists do recognize actual higher authority -- a god would not. In that respect they would be different.

I wonder if this whole thought-experiment couldn't be a back door way into the theist trope that atheists are rebellious, arrogant, and want to be the pinnacle of creation. For that reason alone I would not go to the places this argument goes. Fortunately, there is no reason to.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:27 AM

sorry about the boublet.

"I wonder if...". Which could be interpreted as "I fear...". I wonder if we will able to ever discuss "what may be" without the fear of having a predetermined end game. The problem with being so stupid is that I can't see that far and I get blindsided ... "like wow, where did you come up with that one?".

Old 01-14-2015, 04:48 PM

605 posts, read 704,651 times
I'm sorry if someone already posted something along the same lines. I see this question similar to : "Do pink unicorns doubt the existence of pink unicorns?".

Old 01-15-2015, 04:21 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
An atheist is just 1 god more atheistic than a monotheist.
But if God doesn't believe in higher powers what does that make him? A Nihilist?

Old 01-15-2015, 04:40 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,248,190 times
Everyone always overcomplicates everything. If God exists and the universe is real, there are too many contradictions and logical fallacies. There is only one possible answer: All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

If it logically makes sense for the universe to be infinite, and for God to have created it, it makes equal sense that we're part of God's dream, and God is part of a higher dream, and so on infinitely.

That explains the laws of nature and everything. The laws of nature are part of the dream we're in. The higher level dreams have their own laws of nature.

Any other explanation, there will always be ways to contradict it. This is the only explanation that has to always work and always be logically consistent.

Do dreams need energy to keep going? Only if the laws of nature insist on it. Whether they do insist on it, depends on what the laws of nature happen to be in the particular dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism