Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:48 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,899,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsycAnima View Post
I'd like to know what the stats are as well, but I must conclude that the majority of them don't know what statistical analysis is and how to do it.
Well to be fair it's not like stats and statistical analysis can't be slanted and fudged.
If you've got an agenda it's not hard to find a point of view or a statistic to back up your agenda, whatever it may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsycAnima View Post
Oh here's something interesting... if off topic; a girl who I was attracted to and was religious actually told me she wanted to practice arguments so she could talk about Christianity to the smart people on campus. (I looked at her dumbfounded) What's interesting is she claimed to have a 3.7 GPA and she was a junior level petroleum engineering major. How can you be so nieve and yet be able to make decent grades? Maybe she's just very good at doing what she's told, just like in her cult.
Well there are people that have studied theology and athiesm a great deal more than I ever have or will, so I can understand if that is where your interest lies it would make sense to want to become proficient and learn more in order to discuss it with like minded people. I'm just not that interested I suppose. People have a wide variety of beliefs and interests, that I don't necessarily agree with or have any interest in myself but if that's what they want to do with their time it's not for me to belittle them for it. Some of the smartest people I know have been religious, which is interesting considering we differ so much on such a fundamental thing but it doesn't mean I can't acknowledge or am unaware of their intelligence.
Faith, believe and spirituality is such a personal thing and I really do think it gets down to a genetic level anyway. I just don't have those genes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
HAHA!!! One thing to do to get rid of the JWs is say "ah would you like to come in for some coffee and sex?" and when they stammer say "what you don't like coffee?"
There was actually a pair of fellas here that were arrested and charged because they invited a pair of missionaries into their house and served them tea and hash cookies!

I admit that I don't tend to bait them too much around here unless they're persistent and refuse to listen to what I'm saying. It's my doorstep I'm not that keen on uninvited "guests" of any variety but it doesn't take much to politely say no and close the door most of the time. Like the other day, two VERY beautifully presented young ladies arrived at the doorstep in their designer gear, wafting of designer perfume, meticulously made up, apologizing profusely for setting off the dog and wanting to know if they could leave me a little tract. I just said no thank you and wished them a nice day as I closed the door.
It's when they're persistent and annoying I feel the need to employ other tactics and if they're going to rudely continue to attempt some kind of doorstep conversion then I have no compunction about doing whatever needs to be done.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
no never. i always tell them about the religion i belong to and how they don't go to doctors and then follow it with the fact that i am their worst member, if i even think i am sick i go to a doctor.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
When an atheist says "God bless," does that count as a lie?
Perhaps as much as a believer saying it, depending on whether you believe or not.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:48 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,531 times
God Bless to an Athiest is just an expression for them. Its like saying Good Luck. Doesn't have any religious meaning to them, its just an expression of goodwill to the recipient. Thats all.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,436,584 times
I would never lie about my beliefs or lack of them. If someone else has a problem with me being an atheist, that is THEIR problem.

forum rules, please read them

Old 11-07-2008, 04:12 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Not in my adult life. Nor do I pretend to participate in mealtime prayers when seated at a table where that's the norm.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:09 AM

378 posts, read 626,154 times
No. I just tell them what I think, with an open-mind to what they think also.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
God Bless to an Athiest is just an expression for them. Its like saying Good Luck. Doesn't have any religious meaning to them, its just an expression of goodwill to the recipient. Thats all.
Pretty much. Just like "God damn", "what the hell" "Thank god" and other phrases. IMO, they are figures of speech just like "Knock on wood".

I don't lie to my parents, It just doesn't come up. When they want to know why I don't go to church, I just shrug and say cause I don't want to. I do wear my FSM shirt, but they don't know what it is. Not to mention lately I've been thinking my dad is in fact an atheist or agnostic.

At college and with friends I've let my religious beliefs be known. Fortunately those at college in my experiences are understanding and tolerant.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,123 times
I don't lie about it. I do very much believe in God, but I probably classify just as a "happy heathen" than as anything specific. My beliefs are a mixture of a little of this and a little of that. I don't have any "tenets" of my faith. I'm one of those people who agrees with the statement that one can be spiritual without being religious.

Sometimes it's easier to say what I'm NOT. For some reason, I have no problem saying that I'm NOT a Christian. I don't mean any disrespect toward Christianity. It's just not how I self-identify. And now that I'm pushing 40, I guess I don't feel the need to gain other people's approval, so I don't feel like I need to lie about my beliefs.

I took the "Belief-o-Matic" quiz over on BeliefNet (hysterical name...Belief-o-Matic) and my results look like this:

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%) 2. Neo-Pagan (95%) 3. Liberal Quakers (95%) 4. New Age (91%) 5. Reform Judaism (84%) 6. Mahayana Buddhism (82%)

Quaker, huh? Don't know anything about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism