Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times

Advertisements

The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett. Great historical novels! There is a lot of information on the politics of religion in that time, and how religion was involved in medicine and the state of healing, if you can call it that. These were two of the best novels I have ever read, and I read more than fifty per year.

Pillars of the Earth
In a time of civil war, famine and religious strife, there rises a magnificent Cathedral in Kingsbridge. Against this backdrop, lives entwine: Tom, the master builder, Aliena, the noblewoman, Philip, the prior of Kingsbridge, Jack, the artist in stone and Ellen, the woman from the forest who casts a curse. At once, this is a sensuous and enduring love story and an epic that shines with the fierce spirit of a passionate age.

Ken Follett | Bibliography | The Pillars of the Earth

World Without End.

On the day after Halloween, in the year 1327, four children slip away from the cathedral city of Kingsbridge. They are a thief, a bully, a boy genius and a girl who wants to be a doctor. In the forest they see two men killed.
As adults, their lives will be braided together by ambition, love, greed and revenge. They will see prosperity and famine, plague and war. One boy will travel the world but come home in the end; the other will be a powerful, corrupt nobleman. One girl will defy the might of the medieval church; the other will pursue an impossible love. And always they will live under the long shadow of the unexplained killing they witnessed on that fateful childhood day.

Ken Follett | Bibliography | World Without End

I have not read a Ken Follet novel that I didn't like, and I've read them all.

http://www.ken-follett.com/bibliography/index.html Scroll to bottom of page for all his novels.

Last edited by sanspeur; 11-12-2008 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 07:36 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,008 times
Thank you all for such great suggestions on reading. I will do search on each book you guys mentioned. I hope to find a place where i can buy them the cheapest, 2nd hand, etc.
Thanks again. I see lots of reading ahead.

Just a side note, i'm reading "Political Zoo" by Michael Savage. It's hysterical!

Old 11-12-2008, 07:42 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
If you like books that make you laugh out loud try Carl Hiaasen.... Hilarious! By the way I get most of my novels at a book swap shop.

Carl Hiaasen's Official Web Site - Home

Old 11-12-2008, 08:03 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Well, since you asked, Mark Twain lived and wrote in the American west at the same time as Bret Harte, and Jack London, most folks don't think of him as a writer of westerns, but, he wrote one, called Roughing It, and it is a really good read. His take on the american west is unlike any other western writer. But, then again, his perspective has always been a bit peculiar, therein lies his charm.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:29 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If you like books that make you laugh out loud try Carl Hiaasen.... Hilarious! By the way I get most of my novels at a book swap shop.

Carl Hiaasen's Official Web Site - Home
Yes, I just finished reading Nature Girl- what a hoot!

I'm currently reading Wicked, which is certainly intriguing so far

Old 11-13-2008, 07:38 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
BT, are you from Jersey by any chance?
Nope.. not from Joysey...

Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, since you asked, Mark Twain lived and wrote in the American west at the same time as Bret Harte, and Jack London, most folks don't think of him as a writer of westerns, but, he wrote one, called Roughing It, and it is a really good read. His take on the american west is unlike any other western writer. But, then again, his perspective has always been a bit peculiar, therein lies his charm.
Roughing It is one of my favorite books!
But it's not a western as much as a semi-fictional memoir of when he was traveling and working in the West. In this book, Twain describes his meeting with Brigham Young while traveling through Salt Lake - fascinating!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:34 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett. Great historical novels! There is a lot of information on the politics of religion in that time, and how religion was involved in medicine and the state of healing, if you can call it that. These were two of the best novels I have ever read, and I read more than fifty per year.

Pillars of the Earth
In a time of civil war, famine and religious strife, there rises a magnificent Cathedral in Kingsbridge. Against this backdrop, lives entwine: Tom, the master builder, Aliena, the noblewoman, Philip, the prior of Kingsbridge, Jack, the artist in stone and Ellen, the woman from the forest who casts a curse. At once, this is a sensuous and enduring love story and an epic that shines with the fierce spirit of a passionate age.

Ken Follett | Bibliography | The Pillars of the Earth

World Without End.

On the day after Halloween, in the year 1327, four children slip away from the cathedral city of Kingsbridge. They are a thief, a bully, a boy genius and a girl who wants to be a doctor. In the forest they see two men killed.
As adults, their lives will be braided together by ambition, love, greed and revenge. They will see prosperity and famine, plague and war. One boy will travel the world but come home in the end; the other will be a powerful, corrupt nobleman. One girl will defy the might of the medieval church; the other will pursue an impossible love. And always they will live under the long shadow of the unexplained killing they witnessed on that fateful childhood day.

Ken Follett | Bibliography | World Without End

I have not read a Ken Follet novel that I didn't like, and I've read them all.

Ken Follett | Bibliography Scroll to bottom of page for all his novels.

I loved Pillars of The Earth...but could not stay interested in World Without End. I'm not sure why. It seemed disjointed to me. But Follett is always a great read!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,319 times
How about a short commercial about a book I've co-authored with a full blooded Lakota (Sioux) Native American pastor who lives on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation of SD? The book was just released by the publisher.

It is the story of Darrell New Plenty Stars' life from abandonment as a infant, through the Vietnam War--where he was critically wounded, awaking shackled to a US prisoner of war cot having been mistaken for the enemy, returned to the Rez filled with hate wanting only to kill those he regarded as his enemies. It was 1973 during the standoff between militants with the American Indian Movement and government agents at Wounded Knee. Soon after, on a cold snowy night Darrell was drawn to the Lord. He has now served for over 35 years as a shepherd-pastor to his people.

You can read more about the author in our book, From the Flames of Wounded Knee to the Center of God's Will. on our website: [URL="http://www.GodLovesNativeAmericans.org"]www.GodLovesNativeAmericans.org[/URL].

As an interesting sidelight, Darrell's great grandfather, Red Fish, was among some 300 Indians massacred at Wounded Knee in 1890. Fourteen years before that, Red Fish took part in the Battle of the Little Big Horn when Custer stage his last attack on an Indian village.

Last edited by Eelyvi; 11-24-2008 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism