Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:52 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,030,711 times

Advertisements

As long as when you try to explain the world, you say "what" caused it and not "who" caused it. "What" can include the "who," but "who" is too specific given the lack of tangible evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 03:06 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
We are unable to know what is beyond our Universe, is it possible that energy came from elsewhere before our universe even existed? We will never know, are there other universes beyond ours? Is it believable? We are very much concern and study what we can see here, in our universe. We study physics and we base our decision on how everything works for what we learn and observe. Why would physics that we apply in our world that is "visible" to us work differently somewhere we can not see?
Looks like an hypothesis.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:45 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
I believe in Energy, as a driving force for all existence. Energy creates, transforms, and doesn't change with time. This is what people see as God, they just don't want to call it by its scientific name.
Then there is a Christian god, who is "energy" but in their own terms, it has been assigned every human characteristics to accommodated those in power to control masses, as see fit. That god, with arms, legs, and feelings does not exists in my book.
Then you believe in God. Consciousness (our thoughts and feelings) are embodied in an energy field that we assign names to (like ShepsMom or MysticPhD). That energy is of the same nature as God (Cosmic Consciousness). God's consciousness establishes the "Universal field" for all that we experience and interpret as our universe with our own consciousness' field of energy. Our objective is to reproduce a compatible form of our consciousness to that of God's . . . for Christians that means using the example of Jesus as our model and connection to God consciousness.

The assignment of all the OT and other human nonsense to God is easy to discount since anything that is not compatible with what we know of Jesus consciousness cannot possibly be part of God consciousness. That eliminates all the hate and vengeance and punishment and other human frailties and evils assigned to God by human minds with other agendas.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:03 PM

428 posts, read 1,630,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Then you believe in God. Consciousness (our thoughts and feelings) are embodied in an energy field that we assign names to (like ShepsMom or MysticPhD). That energy is of the same nature as God (Cosmic Consciousness). God's consciousness establishes the "Universal field" for all that we experience and interpret as our universe with our own consciousness' field of energy. Our objective is to reproduce a compatible form of our consciousness to that of God's . . . for Christians that means using the example of Jesus as our model and connection to God consciousness.
I started a thread some time ago about "consciousness" being equivalent to energy and essentially, the universe. I read an interesting little book (Sorry, I have forgotten the title at the moment ) that compared consciousness to light. No one knows what created consciousness, but it might be that it is the fabric of the universe, manifested to differing degrees through everything we perceive as separate entities. For example, a human being has evolved to the point of having such a complex nervous system, his/her consciousness is highly developed (self-aware)--however, the consciousness of an ameba is far tinier (but it can sense noxious stimuli), and that of a sugar molecule even more infinitessimal, but nevertheless, present.

Consciousness is not "intelligent" per se, it is only the raw stuff that enables us to manifest intelligence. We also need our brain and nervous system.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:34 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
When you say there is a creator, it connotes that there was some sort of deliberate action by some sort of being. That is different than saying it developed or came into being which leaves it open as to what the action was that started it.

All this stuff about a universal consciousness sure sounds like a dogged belief that we just have to be more than our bodies, we just have to because we are so great. The more we learn about how life forms and intelligence works, the more certain it becomes that all that we are and all that we think is contained within our brains.

So to me saying a creator is just another way of saying god, or maybe it's Captain Karma, the cosmic engineer.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't like word God, and if i believe in Cosmic Consciousness, i still don't believe in God. Why you my ask? Because in our world, god is something else, more of a "human designer" perhaps. If i say i believe in god, the general assumption would be a biblical god. So i'd rather say i believe in Energy. God would be wrong in my case. But, that's just me.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:43 AM

102 posts, read 152,806 times
Quote:
I believe in Energy, as a driving force for all existence. Energy creates, transforms, and doesn't change with time. This is what people see as God, they just don't want to call it by its scientific name.

Then there is a Christian god, who is "energy" but in their own terms, it has been assigned every human characteristics to accommodated those in power to control masses, as see fit. That god, with arms, legs, and feelings does not exists in my book.
Shepsmom, et al.

I have seen this sort of comment often, namely, the real M.O. of all christianity is just to get some power so they can control masses. In statements like these, who does 'they' refer to? What are they 'controling'? And what motivations are you assigning to these controllers as to the reason why they might be controlling?
To say that christianity is all about getting power and controlling people shows a very limited global understanding and superficial doctrinal understanding. The united states isn't the only place you find christians; one could make the argument the western church, in general, is a mile wide and an inch deep; an overfed, apathetic, nominal, non-reasoning, judgmental, hypocritic, atrophied lot. But there are chrisitans in India, for example, who are a vast minorty and imprisoned, beaten and killed for being christians. Many other examples can be given of quiet persecution all over the world. Where is this 'controlling of the masses' impetus you so boldly assign to christians everywhere?
If the power-mongering in christianity is what is so repugnant to you, then I think you might really like Jesus.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:37 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
I don't like word God, and if i believe in Cosmic Consciousness, i still don't believe in God. Why you my ask? Because in our world, god is something else, more of a "human designer" perhaps. If i say i believe in god, the general assumption would be a biblical god. So i'd rather say i believe in Energy. God would be wrong in my case. But, that's just me.
Your actually expressing a very profound idea shared by many theists.
Afterall, how can we name that which is so far beyond our understanding.
Religious Jews for example will not say the word. Because giving "that which we can't explain" a word or a name puts "that which we can't explain", explained in a sense.

As a theist, I believe "that which can't be explained" is conscience, and when Moses asked for the name, he was given "I AM"

I think we throw the word "God" around too easily.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:34 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic_constant View Post
Shepsmom, et al.

I have seen this sort of comment often, namely, the real M.O. of all christianity is just to get some power so they can control masses. In statements like these, who does 'they' refer to? What are they 'controling'? And what motivations are you assigning to these controllers as to the reason why they might be controlling?
To say that christianity is all about getting power and controlling people shows a very limited global understanding and superficial doctrinal understanding. The united states isn't the only place you find christians; one could make the argument the western church, in general, is a mile wide and an inch deep; an overfed, apathetic, nominal, non-reasoning, judgmental, hypocritic, atrophied lot. But there are chrisitans in India, for example, who are a vast minorty and imprisoned, beaten and killed for being christians. Many other examples can be given of quiet persecution all over the world. Where is this 'controlling of the masses' impetus you so boldly assign to christians everywhere?
If the power-mongering in christianity is what is so repugnant to you, then I think you might really like Jesus.
You know the history, and i don't put all of the Christians in one bucket, but you know, Christians have done their part.
We're not discussing oppression here, so please, stay on topic.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:44 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
I think God/Creator(Same thing) created the "big bang" theory..in the beginning..God is not human, he has no human characteristics..Man makes and gives God human personalities like their own and thus can say what they know God thinks and what He will do next..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism