Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:50 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,552,296 times

Advertisements

I have my own feeling on the difference between a "creator" or a "god" but was wondering what others thought.

Interested in your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 10:30 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,008 times
I believe in Energy, as a driving force for all existence. Energy creates, transforms, and doesn't change with time. This is what people see as God, they just don't want to call it by its scientific name.

Then there is a Christian god, who is "energy" but in their own terms, it has been assigned every human characteristics to accommodated those in power to control masses, as see fit. That god, with arms, legs, and feelings does not exists in my book.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:44 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
I have my own feeling on the difference between a "creator" or a "god" but was wondering what others thought.
I'm open to some ideas about what "god" is, but I can't see any reason to assume that there is any specific "creator".

For instance, some Zen Buddhists call life, the universe and everything God. I'm OK with that. Deists see God in all things. That's fine. But I simply can't fathom the creator God of the Abrahamic religions and, like I said, see no reason to try to make sense of that idea.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,552,296 times
Perhaps I should have been a bit more specific in my question. I tend to agree with ShepsMom in her statement.

I should have framed the question more as what is the difference between a creator and god.

b. frank has a valid point but, but believing in a creator does not neccessarily mean one has to believe in a god.

My feeling is that we were created, who knows why, and left to our own devices. Man created god to fill in the unknown blanks in life.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,999,558 times
The way I view the difference is this, man creates gods, the creator is as it is, I feel this creator like Shepsmom posted, it is the energy behind all things. There had to be a creation, because we are here along with everything else, one can call it god, creator or even random chance, it doesn't change anything nor does it affect creation as a whole.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
A Creator is a Source of life but not a God Of All Things...You can create something and not have forever control and/or interest in it. To me, that's what it's about...an energy Source that Created the Universe, but not a thinking, acting, vengeful god who is involved in any of it.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:51 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom;6435467[COLOR=red
]I believe in Energy, as a driving force for all existence. Energy creates, transforms, and doesn't change with time. This is what people see as God, they just don't want to call it by its scientific name.[/color]

Then there is a Christian god, who is "energy" but in their own terms, it has been assigned every human characteristics to accommodated those in power to control masses, as see fit. That god, with arms, legs, and feelings does not exists in my book.
I can't begin to describe "The Creator", but energy would have been a creation of God, in my belief.

Before there was anything, there was God.

The whole concept is difficult to articulate. But if as we theists believe,
"In the beginning God.....", ( and only God ) then everything is created.

Now of course there are those who want to try and figure out if what exists, "always" ( whatever that means ) existed in some form or another.

Both views in my opinion, require a degree of faith.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I can't begin to describe "The Creator", but energy would have been a creation of God, in my belief.
This will contradict with laws of Energy. Energy creates everything, then energy created god (in your case), not the other way.
Energy=God.

Quote:

Before there was anything, there was God.
Before there was anything, there was nothing, thus, there was no god. But energy always IS

Quote:
The whole concept is difficult to articulate. But if as we theists believe,
"In the beginning God.....", ( and only God ) then everything is created.

Now of course there are those who want to try and figure out if what exists, "always" ( whatever that means ) existed in some form or another.
Yep, that is why we, as humans, grow and learn and explore, so we can get answers. We want to know everything that we can possibly know. Meanwhile, those who are comofortable living without exploring, learning, and discovering, will have to realy on faith.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:44 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
This will contradict with laws of Energy. Energy creates everything, then energy created god (in your case), not the other way.
Energy=God.

Before there was anything, there was nothing, thus, there was no god. But energy always IS

Yep, that is why we, as humans, grow and learn and explore, so we can get answers. We want to know everything that we can possibly know. Meanwhile, those who are comofortable living without exploring, learning, and discovering, will have to realy on faith.
Do you believe energy always existed? There was never a time that it did'nt exist?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:08 PM

We are unable to know what is beyond our Universe, is it possible that energy came from elsewhere before our universe even existed? We will never know, are there other universes beyond ours? Is it believable? We are very much concern and study what we can see here, in our universe. We study physics and we base our decision on how everything works for what we learn and observe. Why would physics that we apply in our world that is "visible" to us work differently somewhere we can not see?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism