Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:19 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
But if I accept that there are no unifying principles behind atheism, how can such a group seek legislative representation?
What makes you think that any group needs a "unifying principle" in order to receive legislative representation? The unifying theme among atheists is that they are all atheists just like all black people are black and all gay people are gay. They all just want the same rights as non-atheists, non-blacks, and non-gay people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,885,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
What makes you think that any group needs a "unifying principle" in order to receive legislative representation? The unifying theme among atheists is that they are all atheists just like all black people are black and all gay people are gay. They all just want the same rights as non-atheists, non-blacks, and non-gay people.
I don't want to contribute to taking this too far off-topic but I'm curious.

Do you honestly think non-atheists have rights atheists don't have?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:33 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,457,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

Legally? No.

Socially, to the point it could almost be confused with legal boundaries?

Yes - Depending on the situation - such as an Atheist Presidential candidate.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Legally? No.

Socially, to the point it could almost be confused with legal boundaries?

Yes - Depending on the situation - such as an Atheist Presidential candidate.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:

Yes I do. Start with god being preached everywhere we go, our money, our government, our highways covered with signs. That may be changing as I see reports of Atheist signs now too.
I think the best example off the top of my head would be the first George Bush who said “I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.”. it sums up how we are treated.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:41 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:

I got to thinking and this also came to my mind from this the election in North Carolina last year. I found the quote on the “The Atheist Revolution” Which is a Blog, but think it reflects another view on what many Atheist see as bigotry against Atheist in the US today. Dole also lost this election, but I am sure it was not just for her statements against Atheist.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
The anti-atheist bigotry utilized by Senator Elizabeth Dole (R-NC) during her recent campaign is inexcusable. I have joined countless atheist bloggers in expressing outrage that such bigotry is tolerated in modern America. The challenge for us now, even after Dole lost the election, is one of recognizing that this may be a political tactic of which we will see more examples in future campaigns. It is time to seriously rethink our lack of organization and the political power we sacrifice by refusing to come together. Nobody is going to end anti-atheist bigotry for us; it is our struggle and our responsibility.”
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-05-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I got to thinking and this also came to my mind from this the election in North Carolina last year. I found the quote on the “The Atheist Revolution” Which is a Blog, but think it reflects another view on what many Atheist see as bigotry against Atheist in the US today. Dole also lost this election, but I am sure it was not just for her statements against Atheist.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
The anti-atheist bigotry utilized by Senator Elizabeth Dole (R-NC) during her recent campaign is inexcusable. I have joined countless atheist bloggers in expressing outrage that such bigotry is tolerated in modern America. The challenge for us now, even after Dole lost the election, is one of recognizing that this may be a political tactic of which we will see more examples in future campaigns. It is time to seriously rethink our lack of organization and the political power we sacrifice by refusing to come together. Nobody is going to end anti-atheist bigotry for us; it is our struggle and our responsibility.”
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
What did Dole say about atheists?

(Although we're going off-topic--but I don't really mod this forum so, June, be gentle!)

Old 03-05-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Yes I do. Start with god being preached everywhere we go, our money, our government, our highways covered with signs. That may be changing as I see reports of Atheist signs now too.
I think the best example off the top of my head would be the first George Bush who said “I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.”. it sums up how we are treated.
I live in the same state and travel through Cary all the time. I'm on my way there on business in just a few days.

There are no 'highways covered in signs' unless you mean in the same sense that 'god is preached everywhere you go'. Because comments like these and others I've read today from you that really are not realistic are really making me start to question just how seriously I should take you.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:53 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
Quote:
I live in the same state and travel through Cary all the time. I'm on my way there on business in just a few days.

There are no 'highways covered in signs' unless you mean in the same sense that 'god is preached everywhere you go'. Because comments like these and others I've read today from you that really are not realistic are really making me start to question just how seriously I should take you.
How can we take you seriously with such assertions? They are all over the place. Some areas are worse than others.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:01 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I can see that. I get annoyed myself when I see a three hundred foot crucifix in the middle of ohio (or was that Indiana?) off the side of the freeway. I guess it would be like having anti-Gay or anti-Black literature up, from that viewpoint. But what would the agenda of such a representation be beyond the removal of this kind of stuff, or would that be enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism