Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,762,350 times

Advertisements

How long do you think it will take before the scale swings in the direction of non-religion/non-believing? How long before non-believers are the majority, and believers in gods and religions are the minority, both worldwide and in the USA? Fifty years? One hundred years?

It looks like it's slowly and inevitably moving in that direction, though far too slowly for my tastes. I sure hope it happens within my lifetime though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 09:16 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,574,597 times
I suspect that this is already the case, you just don't hear as much from the non-religious as you do from the religious. Perhaps we nons don't feel the need to justify ourselves and control others as the religious do.

Just my opinion.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:17 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,624,885 times
I think since the world is so much more connected now and general knowledge of how the world works it will help to dispell some people's long held myths. I'm sure there will always be the weak minded who need something to believe and will see things that aren't there like biblical signs or acts of god. Unfortunately it seems the US seems like it's going to getting a lot more uneducated people, however I think the US is becoming more secular and the believers seem to be more hardline from what I've seen.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:22 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,031,388 times
I think beliefs will change but I doubt the world will ever be totally without God. It's not man's nature, we are a fearful lot and having a God to explain things away is much more comfortable that dealing with our own faults and responsibilities.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:27 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I think beliefs will change but I doubt the world will ever be totally without God. It's not man's nature, we are a fearful lot and having a God to explain things away is much more comfortable that dealing with our own faults and responsibilities.
I agree, I think there will be believers for a long time, perhaps always. Some people will always need that crutch to lean on, because they can't stand on their own feet.

I just wish the USA wasn't such a prime example of utter foolishness in this regard. Sometimes I feel ashamed for my country because of all the religious nonsense.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,704,906 times
With technological advances and education of how things in the world work, you'd think it would be sooner than later

Our kids our gonna look at religion with suspicion as long as they aren't being brainwashed and force fed

I just find it hard to believe that educated people can accept religion so readily, unless its for another reason like family or something. But if they are beleiving the magic, etc then I got ask why.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:50 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,908,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
I agree, I think there will be believers for a long time, perhaps always. Some people will always need that crutch to lean on, because they can't stand on their own feet.
I totally agree with this statement.

And I'm with the other poster too in that I feel like there's already more non-believers in the US than believers.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,704,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I totally agree with this statement.

And I'm with the other poster too in that I feel like there's already more non-believers in the US than believers.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.
I agree with Z, as well. People who need religion to fill that gap will use it, and thats totally fine. Its when they go overboard that concerns me.

I dunno the ratio of believer vs non, but I guess it seems like there's more beleivers to me because they are more outspoken. Nons just keep to themselves unless its forced out of them.

Not to say there isn't a few extremists in any belief system, but overall, I'd say we're all pretty casual and cool in our beliefs and get along fine.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,366,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
How long do you think it will take before the scale swings in the direction of non-religion/non-believing? How long before non-believers are the majority, and believers in gods and religions are the minority, both worldwide and in the USA? Fifty years? One hundred years?

It looks like it's slowly and inevitably moving in that direction, though far too slowly for my tastes. I sure hope it happens within my lifetime though.
The last I saw the non-religious made up 16 to 24 %.of the US population. The world percentage is higher, and in some areas it has crossed well beyond the 50% mark.
One thing that always surprises me is with 16% as non-religious we make up a minority larger than Hispanics, Blacks, Gays, and even the non-catholic christians, yet we have not received any real voice in the government, or basic respect in the national social structure. I have to question why the non-religious don’t voice their views and demand their rights.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:28 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,967,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
The last I saw the non-religious made up 16 to 24 %.of the US population. The world percentage is higher, and in some areas it has crossed well beyond the 50% mark.
One thing that always surprises me is with 16% as non-religious we make up a minority larger than Hispanics, Blacks, Gays, and even the non-catholic christians, yet we have not received any real voice in the government, or basic respect in the national social structure. I have to question why the non-religious don’t voice their views and demand their rights.
Perhaps it is because even the atheists here on this forum claim that there is no unifying belief structure to atheism. If atheism does not imply any sort of worldview, then it makes no sense to have organization or representation. I also have heard atheists say that their atheism is not a big part of their belief structure. It would be like people who like Hondas unifying for representation in the government. I admit, I have been forced to accept (some on here will know, grudgingly) in the last couple of days that you all are elusive and very diverse in your beliefs. I can now respect that view. But if I accept that there are no unifying principles behind atheism, how can such a group seek legislative representation?

Last edited by Georgiafrog; 03-05-2009 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism