Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post

Start with god being preached everywhere we go...our highways covered with signs.
June was just on the Massachusetts Turnpike yesterday. No signs.

Are we talking neon? Do they flash? Are we talkin' bill boards? Gospel music at toll booths?

June's thinking: Demographics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

There are no 'highways covered in signs'

And to think all this time June's been waiting for you to send her a sign!

Quote:

June, be gentle!

Always am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 10:47 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Legally? No.

Socially, to the point it could almost be confused with legal boundaries?

Yes - Depending on the situation - such as an Atheist Presidential candidate.
HUMMMMMMM, interesting, all things being equal and an atheistic candidate being knowledge-able on a wide variety of subjects germane to running the country, at least the atheist would not be trying to figure out ways to get me to tithe to his favorite tax deduction. Would probably get my vote, Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 03-06-2009 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: Inapporpriate

Old 03-06-2009, 12:17 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
HUMMMMMMM, interesting, all things being equal and an atheistic candidate being knowledge-able on a wide variety of subjects germane to running the country, at least the atheist would not be trying to figure out ways to get me to tithe to his favorite tax deduction. Would probably get my vote, Moderator cut: orphaned
Agreed. I nominate Doug Stanhope for president.

Last edited by june 7th; 03-06-2009 at 03:44 AM..

Old 03-06-2009, 04:22 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
...Yes - Depending on the situation - such as an Atheist Presidential candidate.
Assuming that candidate admitted to it and didn't just play along and pretend (easy enough to do that basic sit in church for an hour mumbo jumbo) to appease voters and get the votes.

Its easy enough to be President without involving religion, so their Athiesm would really never need to come out. But once in office, they'd be there, so it wouldn't really matter either.

Quote:
Yes I do. Start with god being preached everywhere we go, our money, our government, our highways covered with signs. That may be changing as I see reports of Atheist signs now too.
I think the best example off the top of my head would be the first George Bush who said “I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.”. it sums up how we are treated.
I agree and always thought GW pushed the religious card too much. He's the leader of the USA, where we supposedly have religious freedom, defender of the 1st Amendment. He should have toned it down a bit at times.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:44 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,647 times
Quote:
I live in the same state and travel through Cary all the time. I'm on my way there on business in just a few days.

There are no 'highways covered in signs' unless you mean in the same sense that 'god is preached everywhere you go'. Because comments like these and others I've read today from you that really are not realistic are really making me start to question just how seriously I should take you.
I am not sure if these signs on the roads do anything to slow the growth of the non religious anywhere. I know there are a lot of them to be seen if you are traveling in NC on I-40 or I-95 in the rural areas where the cost of a bill board is less or a land owner has allowed one of the old ply board signs to be placed in a viewable location. In Cary NC, as you mentioned there are no signs, but this has to do with the sign laws which I think also cover areas of I-40 within the Cary limit, and restricts all signs and cell phone towers which have to look like trees. I don’t think the lack of signs in Cary is related to our higher number of non-religious then the rest of the State. I suspect it is related more to education level than church marketing efforts.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:02 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
Quote:
I am not sure if these signs on the roads do anything to slow the growth of the non religious anywhere. I know there are a lot of them to be seen if you are traveling in NC on I-40 or I-95 in the rural areas where the cost of a bill board is less or a land owner has allowed one of the old ply board signs to be placed in a viewable location. In Cary NC, as you mentioned there are no signs, but this has to do with the sign laws which I think also cover areas of I-40 within the Cary limit, and restricts all signs and cell phone towers which have to look like trees. I don’t think the lack of signs in Cary is related to our higher number of non-religious then the rest of the State. I suspect it is related more to education level than church marketing efforts.
Are you guys talking about some cross a private property owner nails to a tree?

A wreath or cross in the median where a loved one died in an accident?

Or the occasional full-blown billboard from 'God', one might see anywhere?

At any rate, saying they are 'everywhere' or 'plastered' down the roads is a gross misrepresentation.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,059 times
Quote:
I don't want to contribute to taking this too far off-topic but I'm curious.

Do you honestly think non-atheists have rights atheists don't have?
In some states, yes. There are laws still on the books banning atheists from holding public office. And I can't even begin to touch the social aspect of it all. We're woefully misunderstood, pilloried, misrepresented, vilified, et cetera.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:39 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
How can we take you seriously with such assertions? They are all over the place. Some areas are worse than others.
Try driving I-70 through the midwest sometime. It's a constant barrage of god-signs, anti-abortion signs, and "you're going to hell if you don't accept Jesus" signs.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:39 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
I've driven on the highways of all fifty states and I have seen the occasional signs people are referring to but they're very rare. They are generally in rural areas on private property. I remember in liberal Oregon driving down I5 there's a farm and the owner has put up big signs with religious messages on his property but I don't find them anymore annoying than a big billboard advertising a commercial product which really are located just about everywhere.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
In some states, yes. There are laws still on the books banning atheists from holding public office.
That's whacked and I didn't know it.

I'm surprised the ACLU hasn't jumped ALL over that.

Just curious, do you know which states? I'd guess something in the South but, as a Southerner, I hope I'm wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism