Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:38 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times

Advertisements

Atheists aren't "better", whatever that means, nor are they worse, as far as I'm concerned. Where they can't lean on scripture to formulate morals, there's absolutely nothing to prevent a non-believer from formulating a robust set of ethics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
Athiest morals are not steady, though.
No morals are steady, including Christian ones.

When monarchy was the prevailing form of government, the Christian authority figures had no problem with supporting the "divine right of kings" and the moral (yes, moral) obligation for the subjects to obey whoever God put on the throne. For those who may think that's a particular Catholic trait, check out Luther's comments the peasant revolts - titled " Against the Murderous, Thieving Hordes of Peasants", which should give you an idea.

For a later example, the abolition of slavery was driven by many Christian figures (and good on them), but the defenders of slavery argued that God was, in fact, on their side - equality of all men was a debasing doctrine "in violation of the plainest revelations of the Divine Law". (That's from the Texas secession declaration, by the way.)

If "Christian morals" are the morals by which most Christian live, they appear to be under the same influences as society's general set of ethics.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:40 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So no shellfish for you, huh?
No cotton/polyester blend either.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:07 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
I don't usually venture here...to the atheist forum...but this thread was copied and pasted in the Christianity forum...and I found it very "interesting?" to read some of your views.
I began reading the post I quoted and thinking to myself...oh, MontanaGuy has it right...there is no one here better than anyone else...
Then I kept reading...
and I find myself thinking....hey...remember what you said at the beginning? About groups of people?
You or anyone is going to find a few people from any group who are as you say...whether it be Athiests...Christians...or whatever other groups there are.
Not all Christians are as you say...and I also think not all Atheists are as some say...when concerning negative issues.
IMO....for what it's worth...since this is the atheist forum...I know some will disagree.
God loves all of us...each and every single person on this earth...
Doesn't matter that you don't believe...or if you do believe...He loves us all.
In fact, I can see how the Lord says He will leave a whole flock to find one that is lost...if you really think about these words...then He cares abundantly for you. ---but that's just my opinion.
If I may say, welcome and thank you for your input

I will agree that there are many things that Atheists and the religious will never agree on, but I (and many other non believers) try to find common ground. I will say though, when I am told that 'god loves me, regardless' it comes across as condescending. Like I'm a child being reprimanded for doing something bad. I don't see Atheism as bad, just an alternative philosophy.

I don't think anyone is necessarily better than anyone else, but in a debate forum I will definitely speak my mind.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:14 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
If I may say, welcome and thank you for your input

I will agree that there are many things that Atheists and the religious will never agree on, but I (and many other non believers) try to find common ground. I will say though, when I am told that 'god loves me, regardless' it comes across as condescending. Like I'm a child being reprimanded for doing something bad. I don't see Atheism as bad, just an alternative philosophy.

I don't think anyone is necessarily better than anyone else, but in a debate forum I will definitely speak my mind.

I can see where you could think this...but please keep in mind...we not only says God loves you...we also say God loves everyone....which includes me, you, just everyone...
At least, coming from me there is no condescending tone in my voice...none what so ever....for I truely do think He loves everyone the same.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:56 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times
One and only warning:

In the future, if anyone wishes to start a thread based upon a topic, idea, etc that they have, fine. But there will be no more "targeting" or singling out" of other members.

This thread is closed.

Any future threads that are started that either intentionally or unintentionally "BAIT" another member will be closed and/or deleted, with infractions.

Please read the Terms of Service. And PLEASE read the TWO "stickies."

-June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism