Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM

61 posts, read 179,888 times

Advertisements

From Slashdot:

An anonymous reader writes "Another European country clamps down on free speech. From the article: 'It does seem bizarre that, in 2009, a modern European nation would seek to shield religious belief from criticism — yet that is what is happening in Ireland right now. In repealing the 1961 Defamation Act, the Irish government sought to expunge the worst excesses of Ireland's draconian laws restricting free speech, but in the process it has ended up making [0]offending religious belief a criminal offence. Aside from a 25,000 fine (reduced from the 100,000 originally sought by the government), the new Defamation Act gives the authorities the power to stage raids on publishers: the courts may now issue a warrant authorising the police to enter, using "reasonable force," premises where they have grounds for believing there are copies of "blasphemous statements."

Ireland’s bizarre war on blasphemy | spiked

Forgive me for suggesting that America is not the only country in the grips of a religious hysteria lately. Even Dawkins commented in his popular series :
"The Root of all evil"

"The 21st century should be an age of reason, yet irrational militant faith is back on the march. Religious extremism is implicated in the world’s most bitter and unending conflicts. In Britain, even as we live in the shadow of holy terror, our government wants to restrict our freedom to criticise religion. Science we are told should not tread on the toes of theology. But why should scientists tiptoe respectfully away? The time has come for people of reason to say, enough is enough. Religious faith discourages independent thought: it’s divisive and it’s dangerous. Isn’t this the beginning of that slippery slope that leads to young men with rucksack bombs on the tube?" --- Richard Dawkins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,067,860 times
I would suggest you not blaspheme if you're in Ireland.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:53 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,914,585 times
Default ....and heeerssss the Inquisition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I would suggest you not blaspheme if you're in Ireland.
Ahhh yes, a dream come true, "if only" here in America, huh, kd? A sort of modern-day Spanish Inquisition? (BTW, when are you moving there? You could gleefully join up with The People's Anti-Blasphemy Goon Squad", going door to door, pounding at midnight to drag the likes of me into the street for a good old public stoning?).

I strongly recommend you all rent and watch Goya's Ghost, a 2006 film done outstandingly by director Milos Forman (One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest), and starring the very watchable Natalie Portman as well as Stellan Skarsgård (he's been in a number of excellent films incl. Ronan, Pirattes of the Caribbean, and others).

It's a realistic look at the favorite of many Christians, the big Spanish "I", which so many modern Christians would love to partake of, hanging the likes of me from the rafters until I ""repent".

(To that point, I particularly like where Natalie Portman's father hangs the unrelentling priest (who imprisoned her after "extracting" a confession, and then who rapes her repeatedly in the prison...) from the rafters until he "confesses" to various sins.)

Last edited by rifleman; 07-21-2009 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: typoz, clarifications, opinions, etc.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Ahhh yes, a dream come true, "if only" here in America, huh, kd?
No..not really. That's why I hate the idea of sharia law. I'd rather the government just stay out of it, because they usually screw up whatever they do. l

Old 07-21-2009, 05:29 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,578 times
Quote:
No..not really. That's why I hate the idea of sharia law. I'd rather the government just stay out of it, because they usually screw up whatever they do. l
Isn't that what you religious people ultimately want though? To integrate religion and government? Isn't that the reason you guys get upset every time a court has to order a municipal building to take down their copy of the ten commandments?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:34 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,354,785 times
It seems to me Ireland needs to pass laws to protect their children from the church and encourage the public to open up on the crimes committed by the RCC.

It sounds like the last stand of the Catholics who have headed up the cover-up for the last 40 years. I don’t think it will work this time.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Isn't that what you religious people ultimately want though? To integrate religion and government? Isn't that the reason you guys get upset every time a court has to order a municipal building to take down their copy of the ten commandments?
no. I'm not suggesting we plaster monuments everywhere...but I do think there is room for a tasteful monument where culturally applicable.

And I'm not suggesting we should be run by a theocracy. You can't legislate belief.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,578 times
Quote:
And I'm not suggesting we should be run by a theocracy. You can't legislate belief.
If only others could see that it would be a much better world. I don't understand why the religious zealots in this country can't look at a place like Iran as an example of what happens when religion dictates public policy. It confuses me why they denounce places like that yet in essence want the same thing here.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:31 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,178 times
I can't believe that something like this would be going on in the 21st century. Is this article on the up and up? I mean this sounds like a lot, besides, this is how revolutions and civil wars start. I can't imagine a country pressing their luck with that in this day and age...

Old 07-22-2009, 03:03 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
What exactly is considered blasphemous these days anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism