Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,488 times

Advertisements

Let me start of that I belong the atheism side of the fence. But see if an atheist or agnostic state his opinion then those that are either christians or of other religions dealing with god etc... then they can freely bashed them all they want to saying we will go to hell or be questioning about their lack of believe. They get shocked and be like ''Do don't believe in god? why not?''.

But with christians or other believers, they get all defensive if we were to do the way. How hypocritical isn't it??

So if we respect them why don't we get the same from them in return. Leave us alone with our lack of believe already. We like it that way and don't have to listen to your preaching about what will happen....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 10:06 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
We can't bash them because then they scream oppression.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
We can't bash them because then they scream oppression.
But they can sure bash us whenever they want to can they? Talk about equality.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:10 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Based on what I see regularly on City-Data, there's a HELL of a lot more bashing at the other end!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Based on what I see regularly on City-Data, there's a HELL of a lot more bashing at the other end!
Aw, poor baby. Turn about sucks, doesn't it? Wah, boohoo.

Thing is, here we can speak the truth because we don't have to worry about being FIRED from our jobs or discriminated against in any of multiple ways that we suffer in real life inflicted by you backward myth-followers.

Thing is, there's a lot of Christians I get along with just fine, who know I'm an atheist and accept me for who I am. It's those of you who are mindless christers and fanatics that spoil the entire barrel of apples for the nice ones.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Ok haven't seen it from that side. I guess if a christian or believer came to the extreme of being overly disrepectful or try to convert me to their ideas then it would be my turn to tell them my views as well. I know in that case I wouldn't just lay there not saying anything while the other person is being rude.
Then I guess it kinda depends on the case. If someone comes knocking on my door telling me that green aliens are going to come, my first statement would be something like ''Excuse me, I didn't quite get you, what was it you were saying''. By the second I'll be already shutting the door. If they come by your door preaching about salvation then that's a good reason to be like ''You mind preaching that on church or go somewhere else, not interested'' then close the door fast..

Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It's those of you who are mindless christers and fanatics that spoil the entire barrel of apples for the nice ones.
Right on, they just don't get the point that you don't share that. They waste time doing knocking on doors, assuming everyone is a believer. If preaching is so important to them, then they should do it at church or with people that holds the same believe, not doing to random houses. Plus it's annoying..

Old 09-27-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
Right on, they just don't get the point that you don't share that. They waste time doing knocking on doors, assuming everyone is a believer. If preaching is so important to them, then they should do it at church or with people that holds the same believe, not doing to random houses. Plus it's annoying..
Tell you what, as an atheist I've never spit on a Christian and told them that they should just kill themselves. I've never told a Christian that they are worthless satanic trash because of how they believe. I've never keyed a Christian's car with epithets relating to their beliefs. I've never seen a Christian be ostracized at work because they refused to participate in religious activities.

But, I've had all those things and more inflicted upon me by christers.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Go to a place with a low percentage of Evangelicals. Particularly somewhere like New England, but even some parts of the Midwest.

People in the US do have a negative view of atheists, but I don't think it's quite that violent everywhere. The little town I live they mostly tried to be respectful of the town atheist. Although admittedly I think that's how he was seen, to some degree, as "the town atheist." Made him like a harmless eccentric. If there were enough atheists to appear "threatening" it might have been different. Still generally speaking I think mainline Protestants and lapsed Catholics don't care that much if you're atheist. They don't necessarily like it, but they're not going to pester you about your disbelief if you don't pester them about their belief.

In any event I've had people insult me because I'm Catholic. My oldest sister was practically harrassed with snide questions from the teachers at public school because she was Catholic. And she was ostracized for not being part of "altar call" at the public school. (This was in 1970s rural Northwest Arkansas) I also had an Evangelical/Fundie type tell my Mom "you should get 'that' healed by Benny Hinn" (I think he actually said "Benny Jemmy", but I don't know who that is) because I have Osteogenesis Imperfecta. This was at an auction. It made me feel like a defective toaster she brought to the auction, an auction I didn't want to go to anyway, and she was very apologetic to me having to see that.

Or you can pick most any "heterodox" Christian denomination that represents less than 2% of Americans. I imagine many of them have real stories of discrimination or prejudice. I doubt being Mormon in rural Alabama is much fun either and being raised Jehovah's Witness isn't fun most anywhere. I don't really like those two faiths, but I do feel bad with how violent some react to them. Especially when they're kids. At one time many places treated Quakers like scum. I read somewhere that in 1960 some "old" Southerners were divided on who to vote for as they disliked Quakers and Catholics.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 09-27-2009 at 11:34 PM..

Old 09-27-2009, 11:49 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,675 times
It's what they do. They need some boogieman to rant and rave against. Maybe if they scream loud enough about how immoral and evil atheist are, it'll take some of the attention away from all those little kids being molested by Christians

Well, to be fair, not all believers do bash (nor or they all immoral perverts). We just don't come into contact very often with those folks, be it in real life or internet land. Or maybe we do in real life, but they mind their own business.

It's also not just atheist who get bashed. I used to hear lots of bad things said about pagans and Native Americans down here. Matter of fact, as a kid I heard more NA and pagan bashing than I did atheist bashing. I don't believe atheist were even on the radar at the time. It was people of different religions and beliefs who were the popular targets.

It'd be nice if some of them followed their own bible about judging others. Most just pick and choose whatever they want to believe at their own convenience, though, so I guess such a thing should come as no surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism