Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:57 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,413,660 times

Advertisements

I work (unfortunatly) in the home health business. (the only job I could find here which is why I am moving soon). Okay so I am at a client's home, her daughters take care of her. The daughters are older people, in their 60's I'd say. They were watching One Live to Live one day. Apparently there are 3 gay characters on that show and some mixed race couples. Daughter number 1 says to number 2..."This gay stuff on here makes me want to throw up but I like some of the other parts of the show." Daughter number 2 says "yeah and mixing THEM blacks with white people is wrong too." So they go back and forth about gays and mixing races and I must have had a weird look on my face because number 1 asks me..."What do you believe in mixing races?" I said..."Why would I care if blacks and whites marry? It is only genetics that determines our looks. We're all people." Her eyes got huge, it was great. She says loudly..."It's more than genetics! I suppose you believe in gays too!" My reply..."Well I'm not gay....and someone being gay has no impact on my rights as a human being...so why would I care?" Her reply..."Well the bible clearly says that being gay is a sin!" My reply...(throwing one hand up in the air)..."Oh well there ya go! I don't believe in the bible!" I wish all this was being video taped! Her jaw about hit the ground! She points her skinny finger in my face and says..."I feel sorry for you on judgement day!" I told her that I wouldn't sweat it too much...

I no longer go to that clients house....I guess they called in and complained about the evil 'non believer' being in their house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 AM

705 posts, read 1,113,766 times
I've always said that there are really only two kinds of people on this earth, ignorant and intelligent. You'll never win that kind of argument with ignorant people.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,706,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I work (unfortunatly) in the home health business. (the only job I could find here which is why I am moving soon). Okay so I am at a client's home, her daughters take care of her. The daughters are older people, in their 60's I'd say. They were watching One Live to Live one day. Apparently there are 3 gay characters on that show and some mixed race couples. Daughter number 1 says to number 2..."This gay stuff on here makes me want to throw up but I like some of the other parts of the show." Daughter number 2 says "yeah and mixing THEM blacks with white people is wrong too." So they go back and forth about gays and mixing races and I must have had a weird look on my face because number 1 asks me..."What do you believe in mixing races?" I said..."Why would I care if blacks and whites marry? It is only genetics that determines our looks. We're all people." Her eyes got huge, it was great. She says loudly..."It's more than genetics! I suppose you believe in gays too!" My reply..."Well I'm not gay....and someone being gay has no impact on my rights as a human being...so why would I care?" Her reply..."Well the bible clearly says that being gay is a sin!" My reply...(throwing one hand up in the air)..."Oh well there ya go! I don't believe in the bible!" I wish all this was being video taped! Her jaw about hit the ground! She points her skinny finger in my face and says..."I feel sorry for you on judgement day!" I told her that I wouldn't sweat it too much...

I no longer go to that clients house....I guess they called in and complained about the evil 'non believer' being in their house!
I dont know how you do it Dani, we lived in Cary Nc for two years and all we dealt with was judgemental bigoted people. My husband has an earring and a tattoo on his arm of a panther, he was told to take out hte earring, cover the tat and go to church to get work. My kids could not play with the neighbor kids because mine were Non believers and our first day in our new home, the neighbor lady came over to preach and convert us!! We were THRILLED to leave there. The only fun we had was hanging out with our neighbors that were from the North ( MA) they left shortly after we did!

Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,945,766 times
All of this is just much much easier if you don't interact with other people.

My computer doesn't care what I believe.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 AM

66 posts, read 111,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post

Yes, which proves the point that Christians (or those that believe) are not perfect, they are sinners. They just sometimes think they are better than everyone else. So, who's better in God's eyes? The person who is gay but a genuinely good person or the Christian lady who talks negatively about everyone else?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:30 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,972,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
I've always said that there are really only two kinds of people on this earth, ignorant and intelligent. You'll never win that kind of argument with ignorant people.

Hehe, there is a corollary to that:

Smart people can impersonate dumb people, but dumb people can never impersonate smart people.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,997,805 times
But I bet they continue to watch that show, don't they?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:12 AM

8,994 posts, read 14,823,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieEllen View Post
Yes, which proves the point that Christians (or those that believe) are not perfect, they are sinners. They just sometimes think they are better than everyone else. So, who's better in God's eyes? The person who is gay but a genuinely good person or the Christian lady who talks negatively about everyone else?
I used to ask myself that question.

I have an aunt who judges me [because I'm gay] who broke up a man's marriage. Get this: the guy is a preacher! I know it takes two to tango so I can't blame it ALL on my aunt but I'd think she would know better than that.
Anytime she tries to judge me, I just remind myself she isn't so perfect herself and there's nothing wrong with being gay.

OP: I was going to ask if it impacted your job. I got my answer at the end.
When I considered being a nurse, I knew I was going to have to keep quiet on the job about two things: being a lesbian and being an atheist. More people are okay with the lesbian thing but the atheist thing...oh goodness. I get more "lectures" on my atheism than my lesbianism.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:10 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,703,294 times
OP: I have a gag reflex which a person shoving religion down my throat often expriences. I can handle adults but I was very annoyed when a kid (in the soccer field) told my then 5-yr old she was going to hell because she did not worship JC. I explained to my confused kid - who does not go to a place of worship - at home it was no biggie. I called the other kid's parent expecting he would reign in his kid but, to my surprise, he did not want to do that since it supposedly "went against everything he had taught his kid". After some choice words, I bluffed and told him his kid was his responsibility and that I would sue him (I have never sued anyone in my life) and see to it that such comments were not made in the soccer field and that his kid would probably be expelled from the team. Thankfully, that was the end of it. A week later, the kid stopped coming for practice ... dont know/care where she went. I also found out later on that this parent had a problem in the previous year with another family related to the same issue. People should keep kids out of such things.

The upshot is that my kids are much tougher now and will not take any religious crap from anyone. If you live in the south and are not completely devoted to the right god, this is important.

Last edited by calmdude; 01-08-2010 at 12:28 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 01:04 PM

66 posts, read 111,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I used to ask myself that question.

I have an aunt who judges me [because I'm gay] who broke up a man's marriage. Get this: the guy is a preacher! I know it takes two to tango so I can't blame it ALL on my aunt but I'd think she would know better than that.
Anytime she tries to judge me, I just remind myself she isn't so perfect herself and there's nothing wrong with being gay.

OP: I was going to ask if it impacted your job. I got my answer at the end.
When I considered being a nurse, I knew I was going to have to keep quiet on the job about two things: being a lesbian and being an atheist. More people are okay with the lesbian thing but the atheist thing...oh goodness. I get more "lectures" on my atheism than my lesbianism.

PurpleLove08 may I ask you a question? Are you an atheist because of what some people claim the Bible says or do you simply not believe in God/religion/bible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism