Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 01:33 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,019,595 times

Advertisements

It appears that asteroids, not god destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Asteroid Destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, not God // Current
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 11:18 PM

515 posts, read 717,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
It appears that asteroids, not god destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Asteroid Destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, not God // Current
Yes, I've heard and/or read this asteroid theory previously so I'm pleased that someone has deciphered contemporary writing on the subject.

Other bible stories trumpeting gawd's wonderous ways have been shown to be alarming but completely natural events like the parting of the Red Sea is thought to have been a tsunami and Noah's great flood did indeed happen but was localized in (what is now) Turkey, but it was not exactly world wide. Maybe known-world wide. Ha.

Relative to the article in your link, did you read the first comment? The guy says that the "theory" of atheism has too many "holes" for him!

Funny, I've never thought of atheism as a theory and I do wonder how on earth he reconciles himself with the thousands of gaping "holes" in wild theories of christianity.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:41 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,643,872 times
Speaking for myself, I don't put much into this particular asteroid claim, primarily because the article points to abovetopsecret.com as the source. A lot of what ATS seems discuss are the usual garden variety of wild speculations involving conspiracies, UFOs, etc.
Asteroid Destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, not God, page 1

Apart from that, there are several problems with the original OP at ATS. There's no indication who supposedly "cracked" the cuneiform symbols. Secondly, whoever came up with the idea, believes the asteroid was about a half mile across. While a space rock that size might not destroy the Earth, something that size could cause widespread destruction and leave an enormous crater that should still be easily visible today. I'm not familiar with any gigantic craters in that part of the world. I would think a half-mile wide meteor would carve out a crater much, much larger than the Barringer Crater (Meteor Crater) in Arizona. That meteor is thought to have been about 150 feet across.
Barringer Meteorite Crater, Impact Theory and Meteor Craters

One area of where Sodom and Gomorrah are thought to be located contains a fairly high level of salt and limestone near the Dea Sea. That makes me think it more likely some kind of volcanic activity might have taken place there at one time. The problem is that the locations of both ancient cities are still unknown. One person seems to think they were at the south end of the Dead Sea, while another thinks they may be located at the north end where some ruins have been uncovered. It's possible these places once existed, but it's also possible they are both fictitious, or could be based on a completely different story, one suggestion is the destruction of some ancient Babylonian city.
Sodom and Gomorrah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism